2K11 Ivan Nova.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11 Ivan Nova.

The 6'4" 225lb right hander is getting some notice for his spring training success.

Pitching for the Yankees should get him some wins.

Can he get his era a tick under 4.00 and keep that whip under 1.40? I think maybe he can.

I picked him up early with Faab money last year. We cannot keep a player if we do not bid 5 or more. I won bid with $7. He will be in the last year of his contract. With our inflation and lack of pitching back in the auction I will be keeping him and rolling the dice.

Thoughts?

I think he can have some success, certainly with wins. The dicey thing is that there's no guarantee that Nova isn't the long man out of the pen in July, especially if Freddy Garcia pitches decently. The Yankees will most certainly be active in the trade market for SPs and have the prospects to make a deal if the right arm is available at the right price-- a 3.95/1.35 first half might not guarantee him the spot for the year-- although he could actually be one of the centerpieces of a trade for a more costly SP if he does have those sorts of numbers.

I see Nova long term as a #5 pitcher with perhaps a #4 upside, tops. The guy hasn't seen a k/9 north of 7 since rookie ball although he does limit walks & homers somewhat. That being said, for $7 in an inflationary market with limited pitching, yeah, sure, you have to keep him. He'll go for more if he's tossed back.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Thank you Bob for the input.

Do you happen to know where they got Nova in the first place? Drafted him or traded?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Thank you Bob for the input.

Do you happen to know where they got Nova in the first place? Drafted him or traded?
        Transactions

* July 15, 2004: Signed by the New York Yankees as an amateur free agent.
        * December 11, 2008: Drafted by the San Diego Padres from the New York Yankees in the 2008 rule 5 draft.
        * March 29, 2009: Returned (earlier draft pick) by the San Diego Padres to the New York Yankees.

Also, I swear I saw a blurb on mlbtraderumors (but can't find it now) that his height and weight has been updated to 6'7" and 250 lbs.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I really like Nova. He's exactly what the Yankees allegedly need (and usually what they actually need) - a cheap serviceable #4 who could become a cheap serviceable #5 or even a swingman if they trade for King Felix and Garcia/Colon actually works out. He keeps the ball down and that's the most important thing in the new stadium. Now, it's not great when you have the twin statues of Jeter and A-Rod on the left side of the infield, but it's better than seeing pop-ups fly out to short right center.

He doesn't have Wang's K rate or control, but he's sort of like Wang-lite. He had a 4.49 xFIP and 4.36 FIP last year. I think that's a pretty fair reflection of his talent - but remember, this is a team that scores 5+ runs a game, so that's OK.

Comment

He went for $1 in my draft yesterday, and that's with four Yankee fans in the league, but it was mostly draft dynamics, we were all a little disappointed we couldn't go $2.

ETA: 11-team, AL-Only
            Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              I really like Nova. He's exactly what the Yankees allegedly need (and usually what they actually need) - a cheap serviceable #4 who could become a cheap serviceable #5 or even a swingman if they trade for King Felix and Garcia/Colon actually works out. He keeps the ball down and that's the most important thing in the new stadium. Now, it's not great when you have the twin statues of Jeter and A-Rod on the left side of the infield, but it's better than seeing pop-ups fly out to short right center.

He doesn't have Wang's K rate or control, but he's sort of like Wang-lite. He had a 4.49 xFIP and 4.36 FIP last year. I think that's a pretty fair reflection of his talent - but remember, this is a team that scores 5+ runs a game, so that's OK.
              Well, here's hoping he has more in-game stamina than he did last year, as I had the same rationale as you described above in picking him up down the stretch last year needing wins. Instead I got treated to several 4 2/3 inning specials from him, where the Yankees built a lead and Nova looked great for four innings only to totally unravel in the fifth (I particularly remember a home game against Baltimore and a road game at Tampa Bay as examples of this) and lose the win.

Comment

kid has been terrific.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  kid has been terrific.
                  I've been a non-believer but he has been very good. Pitching in the AL East calling Yankee stadium your home and an ERA under 4.00....the Yanks could have only dreamed he would do this well.

Comment

Lucas Apostoleris, who is the foremost Yankee pitching expert that I know, is a big fan of Nova and his new slider.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      kid has been terrific.
                      I had seen him pitch at Scranton and didn't think he was much, but he's been a godsend for them. His peripherals are nothing spectacular, but he wins and should merit AL ROTY consideration.

Comment

In a 10 team, mixed keeper league with no salary implications, is he worth a bench spot into next year? Since his return from the minors, he's been more than solid with a reasonable k/9. KG's post is encouraging too.

Comment

fast forward to 2012: 5.69 ERA but 3.51 xERA (which has better predictive value).

might be a good buy low IF it's clear he'll have enough leash to keep a rotation spot until the numbers normalize....
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I traded for Nova last week because I need K's. He's giving me those & I figure the other stuff will work itself out

Comment

Working...
                            X