2K24: Washington Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Worst contract ever? 31.1 IP, 6.89 ERA, 1 win.
    The only one that comes to mind is Chris Davis, but he hit 54 HR after signing that horrendous contract before 2017 season.

Existential question: Is it worse to pay all that money for a guy on the IL other than 5 starts, or pay all that money for a guy hitting .185 every day for 3 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Worst contract ever? 31.1 IP, 6.89 ERA, 1 win.
      I think so.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Stephen Strasburg had a retirement ceremony scheduled for this upcoming Saturday, but it was canceled by the Nationals in what some consider to be the first step in the team trying to get out of paying him the remainder of his contract. This could get interesting.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Relief pitcher Sean Doolittle has retired at age 36.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Reliever Mason Thompson will undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the entire 2024 season.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Nick Senzel suffered a broken right thumb while fielding a grounder prior to Thursday’s game. Trey Lipscomb is getting the call up.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Nick Senzel suffered a broken right thumb while fielding a grounder prior to Thursday’s game. Trey Lipscomb is getting the call up.
                Surprised he actually made it to the field and didn't break his back slipping on a banana peel on his way to the game.

Comment

Stephen Strasburg had a retirement ceremony scheduled for this upcoming Saturday, but it was canceled by the Nationals in what some consider to be the first step in the team trying to get out of paying him the remainder of his contract. This could get interesting.

Apparently, an agreement was reached with the Nationals and Stephen Strasburg officially retired from professional baseball on Saturday.

The 35-year-old hurler had been involved in a nasty dispute with the Nationals who wouldn’t let him receive the balance on his contract if he retired, as they hoped to recover a portion of the $105 million that Strasburg is owed over the next three seasons. The top overall selection from the 2009 draft finishes his career with a 113-62 record, 3.24 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and a 1723/394 K/BB ratio over 1470 innings in 13 seasons with the Nationals. He was a three-time All-Star and was the World Series MVP for the Nationals in 2019.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Apparently, an agreement was reached with the Nationals and Stephen Strasburg officially retired from professional baseball on Saturday.

The 35-year-old hurler had been involved in a nasty dispute with the Nationals who wouldn’t let him receive the balance on his contract if he retired, as they hoped to recover a portion of the $105 million that Strasburg is owed over the next three seasons. The top overall selection from the 2009 draft finishes his career with a 113-62 record, 3.24 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and a 1723/394 K/BB ratio over 1470 innings in 13 seasons with the Nationals. He was a three-time All-Star and was the World Series MVP for the Nationals in 2019.
                    If you retire, you’re not supposed to receive your contract!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

If you retire, you’re not supposed to receive your contract!
                      Originally posted by Yahoo! Sports

It soon became clear that Strasburg and the Nationals hadn't reached an agreement on a settlement for how to pay out the remainder of his seven-year, $245 million contract. Players usually get most of what they are owed as they can just keep playing until the team releases them, but this was a trickier situation than usual due to the size of the money owed to Strasburg and the Nationals' lack of insurance for his contract, which usually mitigates long-term injury risk.

Now, seven months later, the two sides have reportedly reached an agreement on a retirement that was already apparent. Per The Post, Strasburg agreed to defer some of his remaining salary, though the exact terms haven't been reported.
                      Stephen Strasburg made eight starts after signing a $245 million contract in 2019.
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post

I think this might be only if it's in the contract, which may very well be the case. Obviously not many players retire in the middle of a contract, only when they are free agents. I do recall when Gil Meche retired in the middle of a contract and he forfeited his guaranteed salary.

Comment

I think this might be only if it's in the contract, which may very well be the case. Obviously not many players retire in the middle of a contract, only when they are free agents. I do recall when Gil Meche retired in the middle of a contract and he forfeited his guaranteed salary.
                          And Adam LaRoche gave up $13 million when the White Sox wouldn't let his 14-year-old son live in the clubhouse.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Not sure what you mean here.

If it's clear that the player will never return but won't retire and give up the rest of the $, the team has two options. Pay the agreed up on amount in the contract and let them keep "trying" to return. OR reach a settlement agreement that allows them to pay slightly less (or over a longer duration), and the player gets to stop rehabbing, or whatever action they were taking to try to get back on the field.

In most cases like this it is in both parties' best interest to settle. And they did.

Comment

• Kruk retired mid-game

John Kruk - Wikipedia

Moving to the American League to serve as a designated hitter, Kruk signed with the Chicago White Sox on May 12, 1995,[6] batting .308/.399/.390 in his only season with the ballclub. In the first inning of the White Sox's 8–3 loss to the Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards on July 30, he singled off Scott Erickson, advanced to and was stranded on third base, removed himself from the game and promptly retired as an active player due to chronic knee soreness. He had made the decision two days earlier and informed his teammates on the eve of his retirement. The parting statement he issued to the media simply read, "The desire to compete at this level is gone. When that happens, it's time to go." Kruk finished his 10-year career with a .300 batting average, 100 home runs and 592 runs batted in.[6]
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X