2K24: Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Rotoworld--

"Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Lyle Overbay "remains on the Astros’ short list of low-cost first basemen."
    Cafardo adds that Houston "would love to have a veteran who could push Brett Wallace." Currently, Wallace is in line to compete with Marc Krauss, Jesus Guzman, Japhet Amador and Jonathan Singleton for the first base gig. Overbay batted just .240/.295/.393 last season for the Yankees but did slug 14 homers. Whoever winds up as the Astros' Opening Day first baseman will just be keeping the seat warm until Singleton is ready."

I'm not sure what makes a Boston reporter an expert on what the Astros are doing. However, if he's right, I don't get this one. I don't see Overbay as a real improvement on what Houston has, and in my experience all these "veteran presence" guys do on a known non-contender is soak up playing time that could go to younger, developing players.

Or is this the position player equivalent to an "innings eater"?
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Astros designated INF Brett Wallace for assignment

So, does this open the door for Singleton to earn a starting job?

Comment

Very interesting article detailing Jonathan Singleton's struggle with weed.
        http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...84c6cb1da.html

Comment

Astros released Brett Wallace.

Comment

Wallace would excel in a league where he could face only pitches on the outer half. The inner half for him is like a black hole.

Comment

I know I am grasping at straws here as there are no reports of this, and I doubt the Astros would shell out big bucks for a 1b stop gap, but is there any shot Morales lands on the Stros? They need a bat and a 1b fill in option. Morales needs a team that will put him in the heart of a line up and allow him to build up value this year. Or is the pick comp too steep to pay for Morales at any price?

I'm beginning to wonder if Morales will play for anyone before June. He and Boras really overplayed their hand, it seems.

Comment

Wouldn't be the worst thing. He would likely be dealt during the season if on a one-year deal which would then free him from the qualifying offer/pick penalty he's going through now. Of course, don't really know what the Astros would be able to get via trade from a team in that kind of low leverage situation since they likely wouldn't take the risk of putting a $16M QO out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Wallace would excel in a league where he could face only pitches on the outer half. The inner half for him is like a black hole.
                  Could he stand in the on deck circle during his at bats?

Comment

According to Rotoworld, the Astros have started to call teams about 1B, likely meaning they're not relying on Jonathan Singleton this season.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      According to Rotoworld, the Astros have started to call teams about 1B, likely meaning they're not relying on Jonathan Singleton this season.
                      Kendrys Morales?

Ike Davis?
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        Kendrys Morales?

Ike Davis?
                        The first man eliminated from Milwaukee's 1B battle royale?
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          The first man eliminated from Milwaukee's 1B battle royale?
                          Mike Carp?

ESPN's Jayson Stark reports that the Astros have been calling teams in an effort to acquire a first baseman.
                          Their list of targets includes Mike Carp of the Red Sox, John Mayberry, Jr. of the Phillies, and Tyler Moore of the Nationals. Still, Stark calls them all "unlikely fits." It will be interesting to see if Houston develops as a possible match for Ike Davis, who is reportedly back on the trade block.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Mayberry could very well be cut from the Phillies (if they decide to keep both Abreu and Ruf). If he is out of options (I don't know if he is or where to find that), the Astros could possibly get him on waivers.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Mayberry could very well be cut from the Phillies (if they decide to keep both Abreu and Ruf). If he is out of options (I don't know if he is or where to find that), the Astros could possibly get him on waivers.
                              John Mayberry is out of options. You can see the full list of players out of options here.

Has Abreu been good this spring? Seems like a bad idea to keep him of Mayberry.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post

Has Abreu been good this spring? Seems like a bad idea to keep him of Mayberry.
                                Nope. Not at all. Tony Gwynn Jr. is making a case, especially if they can move Mayberry, since he can play CF.

Comment

Working...
                                X