No announcement yet.

2K24: Oakland Athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you picked up Pomeranz in time for his nice start vs. BOS today! Also hoping I didn't just jink him for the rest of the game in progress now...

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
      Hope you picked up Pomeranz in time for his nice start vs. BOS today! Also hoping I didn't just jink him for the rest of the game in progress now...
      Yeah, I had Hahn already, but the Pom owner wanted to trade him for just about anything....he was fed up, and I snagged him prior to the start of the game. Originally, I planned to swap him for Hahn, but he didn't want Hahn. But he did take Miguel Gonzalez instead. Gonzalez has been the better pitcher so far, and wasn't bad last year either, but I couldn't pass on Pom's upside. I see flashes now and then that give me hope.

JC's comparison between the two Oakland arms is what made it tough for me, but once I discovered he preferred Gonzalez to Hahn, it became an easier call, as I'm focused on Ks, and despite MGs good start there, I think Pom has more K potential.

Comment

Pomeranz throws that knuckle-curve quite a bit. When he has it working it can really go well with his fastball. When he can't find the zone or doesn't have the feel of it as well, it seems like he gets into trouble pretty quickly. Not sure if that is actually what's going on, but relying on that type of pitch combo seems more prone to extreme results vs. your standard reliable FB/slider type guy.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
          Pomeranz throws that knuckle-curve quite a bit. When he has it working it can really go well with his fastball. When he can't find the zone or doesn't have the feel of it as well, it seems like he gets into trouble pretty quickly. Not sure if that is actually what's going on, but relying on that type of pitch combo seems more prone to extreme results vs. your standard reliable FB/slider type guy.
          Well he's basically a 2-pitch pitcher, and his fastball isn't elite. So when the curve isn't working... duck.

Comment

Coco Crisp is 0-25 on the year and batting leadoff while Billy Burns is hitting .286 and batting 8th. :shrug:
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              Coco Crisp is 0-25 on the year and batting leadoff while Billy Burns is hitting .286 and batting 8th. :shrug:
              SSS? Coco has a long track record of success when healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                SSS? Coco has a long track record of success when healthy.
                He must have been hurt the last two years because his stats from 2013-14 are very mediocre. I'm betting the decline has more to do with him being a 35 year old whose game has always revolved around speed than it has to do with health. It's time for Coco to pass the baton to the 25 year old Burns who can hit for a higher average and steal more bases.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

agree with masher on this one.

and as an aside (because it doesn't matter in terms of place in the lineup), crisp made a pretty amazing catch on pedroia's line drive to left-center this afternoon…
                  "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                    agree with masher on this one.

and as an aside (because it doesn't matter in terms of place in the lineup), crisp made a pretty amazing catch on pedroia's line drive to left-center this afternoon…
                    in fact he had two today:

and

(and he got a hit!)

Comment

Anyone know what happened to Pomeranz?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Left shoulder tightness. I think that qualifies as an "uh oh".
                        And another one bites the dust. Pom was supposed to step up to take Smyly's place. Sigh. Gotta love pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Step back from the cliff (maybe):
                          Even though he played catch today, he's now flying back to Oakland to get an MRI and will likely be placed on the DL.

Comment

Billy Burns gets the first rbi of his career last night after 81 at bats..........on a bases loaded walk lol.

It must have gone to his head because he hit a home run today. He only had two in 1511 minor league at bats.

He's also stolen a base in 5 of the last 7 games.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Hahn with an impressive CGSHO vs the Tigers. His K rate is still pretty whimpy, but he may be turning a corner.

Comment

Working...
                              X