2K24: Los Angeles Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Nelson Cruz would require, presumably, a big investment and I wonder if the Angels are a little gunshy about that at this point, given their lack of success in that realm recently.
    The Gary Matthews Jr. and Vernon Wells fiascoes didn't seem to deter them.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

The Angels are rumored to be close to signing Raul Ibanez. Small investment, big power, should only play DH if they're smart.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

From Rotoworld--

"The Angels and Raul Ibanez have agreed on a one-year, $2.75 million deal, according to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times.
        The deal includes incentives that could make the contract worth up to $5 million. The 41-year-old will serve as the Angels' primary designated hitter with Mark Trumbo gone. The left-handed Ibanez experienced a career revival in 2013, hitting 29 home runs as a member of the Mariners."

IMO this isn't a bad deal at all. One year, relatively small money--not the Angels' usual style.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          The Angels are rumored to be close to signing Raul Ibanez. Small investment, big power, should only play DH if they're smart.
          He sacrificed just about all of his contact skills last year to squeeze that power out of himself, though. It was a classic old man skillset on his last hurrah type of year. I'd be worried he is about to fall off a giant cliff at this point (but since so many people have said that for so long about Ibanez, most will suggest I'm crying wolf; but this is the year that there are finally some stats beyond his birth year that back it up).

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
            He sacrificed just about all of his contact skills last year to squeeze that power out of himself, though. It was a classic old man skillset on his last hurrah type of year. I'd be worried he is about to fall off a giant cliff at this point (but since so many people have said that for so long about Ibanez, most will suggest I'm crying wolf; but this is the year that there are finally some stats beyond his birth year that back it up).
            He'll be fine as long as he doesn't wind up on any of my teams.

-- William James

Comment

Angels sign Mark Mulder (!) to a minor league deal worth $1 million, but up to $6 million if he makes the major league team and meets incentives.

He's 36, hasn't pitched in the major since 2008, and hasn't been any good since his first year with St. Louis in 2005. He had three very good years with Oakland and one meh before that.

Worth a try, I suppose, but if I were the GM, I wouldn't lessen my efforts to sign an actual major league starter.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Angels sign Mark Mulder (!) to a minor league deal worth $1 million, but up to $6 million if he makes the major league team and meets incentives.

He's 36, hasn't pitched in the major since 2008, and hasn't been any good since his first year with St. Louis in 2005. He had three very good years with Oakland and one meh before that.

Worth a try, I suppose, but if I were the GM, I wouldn't lessen my efforts to sign an actual major league starter.
                Wow. I went to $2 on him in my AL league in 2001. He and reserve pick Robert Fick were keys to my league title that year. Stories like these are fun to watch.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Mulder has turned his delivery into what Paco Rodriguez is doing and was touching 91 in workouts. Good for him

Comment

Mark Mulder blew out his achilles tendon during agility drills. So much for this feel-good story.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Mark Mulder blew out his achilles tendon during agility drills. So much for this feel-good story.
                      At least he won't be taking up innings that someone who could wind up being useful will now pitch.

-- William James

Comment

From Rotoworld--

"Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan reports that the Angels are discussing a six-year contract extension with Mike Trout that would pay him in the range of $150 million.
                        Trout won't be eligible for arbitration until after this season, so the deal would buy out his first two years of free agency. Passan says the gap between the two sides "is in the low eight figures," but "optimism exists that it will be bridged." Trout would be only 28 after the contract runs out, giving him a chance to get an even bigger deal when he hits free agency. The outfielder batted .323/.432/.557 with 27 home runs and 33 stolen bases for the Angels last season."

wowzer. I think it'll take a lot more than this to get Trout to sign, but it's likely a great deal for both sides at almost any price.

-- William James

Comment

So anyone notice Trout is striking out in almost 1/3rd of his ABs, and is on pace for almost 200 Ks? He now leads the AL in Ks. What's goin on?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            So anyone notice Trout is striking out in almost 1/3rd of his ABs, and is on pace for almost 200 Ks? He now leads the AL in Ks. What's goin on?
                            I noticed, as he is on my team. And he isn't running much as his paltry 5 SB's indicate.

On another site this was posted about his season so far:

Mike Trout through May 14, 2013: 7 HR, 27 RBI, .286/.352/.522 .873 OPS 7 SB 3 CS

Mike Trout through May 14 2014: .270/.354/.513 .867 OPS 7 HR 24 RBI 4 SB 0 CS in 1 less game.

But that doesn't explain his huge K numbers.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

His BB/K rate is half what it was last season. His Ks are way up and his BBs are way down. I don't own the guy in any league, nor am I proclaiming he won't continue to be a stud, but something is clearly off.

Comment

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Angels are "close to parting" with Josh Hamilton.
                                It confirms a report from SI.com. Rosenthal says the resolution will involve a trade, although it's unclear at this point which team he's close to being dealt to. Hamilton still has $83 million remaining on his contract, and the Angels will undoubtedly have to end up eating a lot of that. The outfielder is working his way back from shoulder surgery and isn't going to be ready to play for a while, regardless of where he ends up.
                                Source: Ken Rosenthal on TwitterApr 24 - 5:39 PM

EDIT -- looks like the other team is Texas. Could we see a change of scenery for Shin-Soo Choo?

Comment

Working...
                                X