2K24: Miami Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    This is probably the article you're trying to link: http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball...-traded/282076

Get on it, Dodgers! Urias and three other prospects of your choice for Fernandez! Urias and Puig for Fernandez! Puig and Tommy Lasorda and three Dodger dogs!
    Apparently Hernandez is not available though:

"On Thursday morning, Marlins president David Samson told 940-AM WINZ that Hernandez is “not available” but came close to contradicting himself."
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      This is probably the article you're trying to link: http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball...-traded/282076

Get on it, Dodgers! Urias and three other prospects of your choice for Fernandez! Urias and Puig for Fernandez! Puig and Tommy Lasorda and three Dodger dogs!
      Would you really trade Urias and Puig for Fernandez?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Apparently Hernandez is not available though:

"On Thursday morning, Marlins president David Samson told 940-AM WINZ that Hernandez is “not available” but came close to contradicting himself."
        They can keep Hernandez! We want Fernandez!

Comment

• This could be interesting.

from Rotoworld:
          According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Barry Bonds "tentatively plans" to accept a hitting coach job with the Marlins.
          Negotiations are ongoing. Assuming everything is worked out, Bonds will serve as a co-hitting coach along with incumbent Frank Menechino. The all-time home run king is polarizing for all sorts of reasons, but nobody can question his knowledge about hitting.
          Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter
          Dec 1 - 1:13 PM
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            This could be interesting.

from Rotoworld:
            According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Barry Bonds "tentatively plans" to accept a hitting coach job with the Marlins.
            Negotiations are ongoing. Assuming everything is worked out, Bonds will serve as a co-hitting coach along with incumbent Frank Menechino. The all-time home run king is polarizing for all sorts of reasons, but nobody can question his knowledge about hitting.
            Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter
            Dec 1 - 1:13 PM
            As long as he stays away from giving advice on "B-12" shots, this could be a great thing for Marlins hitters. Not everyone who can do can teach, but if Bonds can impart what he knows, what a great boon for those young hitters.

Comment

• The Marlins have had a non-interesting off season. So far I believe they have resigned Suzuki and that is it as far as major league players. They have contributed nothing but hot air to the Winter Meetings nor did they choose anyone in the major league portion of the rule 5 draft. Is there any other major league team that has done as little or less?

Comment

• Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                I disagree but perhaps I don't know enough about Mattingly as a manager. The Marlins haven't valued innovation in their managers. Ownership seems to like a more traditional style, which Mattingly seems to use. Guillen's mouth was a total disaster which Mattingly's won't be. The Marlins are a lot closer to being a very good team then most people give them credit for. If the team stays healthy they can win. They could use a right handed first baseman, a backup catcher, bullpen help and a starter but they have two solid outfielders, an all star quality second baseman, and decent players at third, short and catcher, and possible another good outfielder. Their minor league system is barren but the major league team is young and has talent. If they have injuries they will fail as their subs are generally of poor quality.
                The Marlins have filled one of their needs by signing Chen. They now have a number one starter (Fernandez), a number three starter(Chen), who can hopefully be a number two, Cosart and Koehler (who they need to take a step up), and a bunch of candidates for the 5th starter slot who have shown some competence at the major league level. Of the 5th starter candidates I am most hopeful of Conley and Nicolino. They resigned both Jeff Mathis (who can't and has never been able to hit) and Ichiro Suzuki (who was once a great ballplayer but hasn't hit in years), this is going to hurt their ability to make moves during the game. The rest of the bench figures to be C Johnson (to hit against left handers), Dietrich (who can play 3rd, 2nd, of, and has good power potential if given playing time), Cole Gillespie (who was competent both with the bat and the glove for them last season), and somebody who can back up shortstop. They are counting on Ramos and Capps to anchor the bullpen but while both can be effective I don't see either as sure things. They use Dunn as a lefty out of the bullpen but while he has good stuff he has control issues and isn't especially effective against lefties. They signed Edwin Jackson and I wouldn't be surprised if they promised him that he would get a look as a starter in order to entice him to sign. The Marlins will put a potentially very good starting eight on the field, including three guys in Stanton, Yelich and Gordon who could start for any team in the majors. If they stay healthy, play up to their potential and get decent pitching this team can compete against anybody, but the weak bench, lack of depth, and questionable pitching make it unlikely that they contend. If they were to sign another arm whether as a starter or reliever and/or another dependable hitter for the bench they might be capable of making the playoffs for the third time in their history. The only two times they have made the playoffs the have won the World Series.

Comment

• My money's on Capps:

MLB.com's Joe Frisaro confirms that Carter Capps will compete for the Marlins' closer role.
                  A.J. Ramos is a strong incumbent coming off a 32-save season, but Capps has some of the best stuff in the majors and a very unique delivery that seems to regularly confuse batters. Frisaro says the Marlins "are comfortable having competition settle who should take the ball with the lead in the ninth inning." It will be one of the biggest stories of the spring from a fantasy perspective.
                  Source: Marlins.mlb.comFeb 15 - 11:18 AM

Comment

• as long as Capps's delivery remains legal. I think the more exposure it gets, the less likely that is to stay the case.

Comment

• Does any one have insight into how Mattingly will probably handle the closer situation? We draft at the end of this month and any opinions on this would be helpful.

Comment

• I have no insight on Mattingly's thinking. I do feel that Capps will be given a legitimate shot to win the role as Ramos was definitely not a lock down closer. The Marlins apparently made an offer for Chapman but given the state of their farm system I can see why the Reds wouldn't have been interested. Capps would seemingly be a definite upgrade but he seems to be an injury risk.

Comment

• Ramos was pretty good last year. You'd think a smart organization would have tried to shop him if they didn't have faith in him.

Ahhh, the Marlins.

Comment

• Ramos was the team's top pitcher in WAR last year and was a solid closer by season's end. I can't understand what the Marlins are thinking. Maybe they are keeping him from getting complacent? Even of they weren't enamored with him, they should have gone into the season with him closing and then trade him to some other team who wants a "closer" to set-up and cash in.

Capps is also a real injury risk, so this is one damn muddy closer situation. I still say Ramos ends up with the lion's share of the saves, but who the hell knows with this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Ramos was pretty good last year. You'd think a smart organization would have tried to shop him if they didn't have faith in him.

Ahhh, the Marlins.
                              Like the Yankees?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                                Capps is also a real injury risk, so this is one damn muddy closer situation.
                                Carter Capps has had MRI on right elbow. Will likely go for 2nd opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X