No announcement yet.

2K24: New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindor with a 1st inning hr today! Hopefully, the start of something beautiful!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Always is a long time.
      they still love Tony and he's been gone a while....
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• "If you concede all the boos and hard feeling go away if he starts hitting, how are the boos a problem for him?"

well, Lindor said late in the last road trip - when he finally reached the Mendoza line - that he hoped the home fans would start booing him less.
        so the actual player says it's a problem for him - and you say it isn't.

I also only said that MOST of the boos and hard feelings go away if he starts hitting, not all - because my friend who was at the game last night is not nearly alone in his (fanatic) sentiments.

even if Lindor is hitting well overall, if he pops out in a big spot late and then immediately goes over and starts canoodling with the opposing infielders, there's a segment of the base that emotionally sees that as an issue for them.

to question whether that's reasonable - now you're just moving the goalposts.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          "If you concede all the boos and hard feeling go away if he starts hitting, how are the boos a problem for him?"

well, Lindor said late in the last road trip - when he finally reached the Mendoza line - that he hoped the home fans would start booing him less.
          so the actual player says it's a problem for him - and you say it isn't.

I also only said that MOST of the boos and hard feelings go away if he starts hitting, not all - because my friend who was at the game last night is not nearly alone in his (fanatic) sentiments.

even if Lindor is hitting well overall, if he pops out in a big spot late and then immediately goes over and starts canoodling with the opposing infielders, there's a segment of the base that emotionally sees that as an issue for them.

to question whether that's reasonable - now you're just moving the goalposts.
          My initial response was prompted by your post suggesting that Lindor's suckage was ok to him, because he already got paid, and his actions on the field were an issue, especially given that he has performed poorly. You did not initially indicate in that post that these sentiments were just something you were reporting that others felt that you did not feel. You said, "it's okay, he got paid." That was the line that got me to respond.

I'd argue you moved the goalposts by offloading that feeling to your friends and not being honest that you also feel a player should not be "canoodling" or "goofing off with" opposing players. I know that you do believe these things, because you have expressed those opinions before. I do not know why you are being careful to not make that direct claim here, but whoever believes that, Mets fans, or otherwise, I disagree with it. Lindor has always done that, and I do not see it as an issue, and I am willing to bet most fans won't either if he starts hitting.

Comment

• I know professional athletes well, and I know they are - behind the scenes, they are even more collegial than what fans see out there on the field. it is what it is.

what I have expressed before is that those actions on the field tick off a significant portion of the fan base - and in spite of silly claims to the contrary, I don't see evidence that it's a racial thing. diehard fans across the board get frustrated when they feel as if the players don't care about winning as much as they do (now, how demonstrative players sometimes are - THAT'S the actual crossed wires of cultures in many cases - not the camaraderie stuff).

I don't get all amped up like my friend.
            actual text from him last night: "How about destroying a water cooler like Paul O'Neill to show you're pissed that you're underperforming?"
            which yeah, not terribly rational. he hates the Yankees, lol

still, it's an ongoing issue, maybe particularly so with a fan base that hasn't won a title in 35 years (this guy and I were at Game 7 at Shea in 1986, so we know what that's like). I know what's coming when I see it, and whether I shared that sentiment or not wouldn't matter. hoping that your fans will boo you less and then acting in ways that make them boo you more - not sure how much sense that makes.

if some other major, highly-paid star new to a team got off to a slow start this year, I'd be interested to hear how that's going over with those fans. In St. Louis, I think they'd be pretty patient - and lots of other cities, too.

but what plays in Peoria doesn't always work in New York - again, fairly or not. that's all.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• JJ, I'm gonna drop this, as it is clear that you don't want to get into a debate about whether Lindor is dogging it or not, or if it is acceptable for a player to act friendly with opposing players on the field. I don't want my push back to get conflated with personal attacks. I don't sign off on those and you did not deserve that. I was arguing against claims about Lindor that I thought were false. I wasn't trying to turn it into anything else. I certainly wasn't trying to start a pile on JJ movement.

Comment

• I’ll Mithize this: All fantasy owners of Lindor think he blows.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I’ll Mithize this: All fantasy owners of Lindor think he blows.
                  Ha, I have shares. I am still hoping it is a phase that will pass . We need Mith to say he blows so it will.

Comment

• Have to say I’m with JJ on this. Nobody thinks Lindor isn’t trying or doesn’t care. However the optics just don’t look good. Great players have dry spells. Lindor doesn’t have any goodwill (from past heroics in a Mets uniform) to fall back on. So the fans just see his struggles followed by joking around. His smile and attitude are great assets. But when you’re struggling, fans want to see that it disappoints you. Especially if you’re the franchise player.

Comment

• Please let DeGrom be ok

Comment

• right shoulder soreness after 8 K in 9 batters thru 3

has 6 RBI this season - and allowed only 4 runs
                        25-inning scoreless streak

like Koufax, his pitches are TOO nasty (but Koufax was a terrible hitter and deGrom is hitting .423)

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Jacob deGrom visited a doctor Thursday who found no issues with his right shoulder.

He's going for a second opinion.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Jacob deGrom visited a doctor Thursday who found no issues with his right shoulder.

He's going for a second opinion.
                            Jacob deGrom (shoulder) received a second opinion on his MRI and was told there are no concerns.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Since returning to the rotation after a disastrous April/early May, Joey Lucchesi has strung together 5 good starts. Although, his 5.1 ip yesterday was a season high, he seems to be trending upward in that regard. He looks like he is finally starting to get comfortable in the Big Apple after being traded there this off-season.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Mets announcer Todd Zeile, who reached the bigs as a C before moving to 1B-3B, explained recently that the Mets have decided that McCann - a very smart C - should make the choices on pitching decisions for both Lucchesi and Peterson.

small sample sizes, but these may not be coincidences.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X