2K24: Chicago Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    I can't make sense of Adrian Houser. How did he have such a good season with only 17.5% Ks and 10.7% BBs?
    Some luck, some skill, some management, IMO.

Luck - As you've noted BABIP can be influenced by skill. And I'd have expected Houser's BABIP to improve last year, as he's a groundball heavy pitcher, and the Brewers upgraded defense at 2B (by light years) and SS and 3B (by a smaller amount). But a below .260 BABIP...nah, I think there's some luck in that number.

Skill - He's a groundball heavy pitcher who keeps the ball in the park. His GB tendencies also help shifts work in his favor, and Counsell is a shift-heavy manager.

Management - Counsell aggressively manages his number of times through the lineup; it's uncommon for him to go through a lineup more than twice.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Jon Lester retires after a 16-yr career

Comment

• Disturbing story:

Sergio Mitre, a former pitcher who appeared in parts of eight big-league seasons, was sentenced to 50 years in prison this week after being found guilty of raping and murdering his then-romantic partner's 22-month-old infant, according to the Mexican magazine Proceso. An autopsy revealed that the child died of hypovolemic shock, or loss of body fluids caused by Mitre.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Disturbing story:

Sergio Mitre, a former pitcher who appeared in parts of eight big-league seasons, was sentenced to 50 years in prison this week after being found guilty of raping and murdering his then-romantic partner's 22-month-old infant, according to the Mexican magazine Proceso. An autopsy revealed that the child died of hypovolemic shock, or loss of body fluids caused by Mitre.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/f...ars-in-prison/
          There are no words. There is no way this monster should ever be allowed out of a cell again. Fifty years is not enough time, as he could live past that, unless they put him in gen pop, which I hope they do. I'm against the death penalty only because the whole system is horribly inequitable and economically inefficient. I have no ethical issue with someone like this being put down as quickly as possible. Every meal he gets fed is food that could go to a hungry child. Every breath he takes is good oxygen being consumed by a parasite.

Comment

• Andrelton Simmons to the Cubs

Comment

• Cubs sign David Robertson.

Sure looks like he might close?

Comment

• Cubs sign 2B/SS/3B Jonathan Villar.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Is Wisdom a wise choice for DH now?

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                    Is Wisdom a wise choice for DH now?
                    Wisdom is a plus defender. Villar is not.

If Madrigal is healthy he is the every day 2B. Simmons would be the SS.

I like Villar for the Cubs probably UT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Wisdom is a plus defender. Villar is not.

If Madrigal is healthy he is the every day 2B. Simmons would be the SS.

I like Villar for the Cubs probably UT.
                      Do you feel confident that Wisdom is the full time 3B?
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                        Ish. Confident ish. They need his bat in the lineup and he is the better defender of current options. If they are done signing FA infielders than I think he is the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          Ish. Confident ish. They need his bat in the lineup and he is the better defender of current options. If they are done signing FA infielders than I think he is the starter.
                          I see Wisdom getting the first crack at the everyday 3B job as well simply due to his HR ability. Still, all of these recent FA signings suggest that his leash will be short. He probably needs to improve his 40+% K rate and not hit in April like he did last September/October (.150/.260/.416, 40K in 92 PA).

Comment

• Originally posted by Davros View Post
                            I see Wisdom getting the first crack at the everyday 3B job as well simply due to his HR ability. Still, all of these recent FA signings suggest that his leash will be short. He probably needs to improve his 40+% K rate and not hit in April like he did last September/October (.150/.260/.416, 40K in 92 PA).
                            Good points. Playing time still has a lot to do with defense for this particular team. Bunch of sneaky soft tossers that create a lot of ground balls. Wisdom is better defensively that Villar and a few of the others. No significant power currently at SS or 2B.

I really do not like how they are building the 2022 Cubs. Were are the power arms, the power bats, the speed? Not counting catcher I don't like the infield as a group. Maybe one or two, but not all four. Looks like going on the cheap this year with hopes of .500. See fans we are improving woo hoo.

Comment

• Gregg: This brings a smile though, doesn't it? https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...71586795020293

However, this is telling:

"Signing Jonathan Villar to a one-year, $6 million contract shouldn’t stop the Cubs from monitoring what happens with Correa. The Cubs primarily view Villar — a switch-hitter who can play multiple defensive positions — as a platoon option with Patrick Wisdom at third base. For now at least, the Cubs are going with Andrelton Simmons as their main shortstop after signing the four-time Gold Glove winner to a one-year, $4 million contract."

https://theathletic.com/3193757/2022/03/18/why-did-ex-cubs-stars-get-their-big-contracts-elsewhere-and-how-did-those-extension-offers-stand-up-in-free-agency/
                              2021 Auction Anatomy
                              2021 Keeper Decisions
                              2020 Auction Anatomy
                              2020 Pre-Auction
                              2015 Auction Anatomy
                              2014 Auction Anatomy
                              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Gregg: This brings a smile though, doesn't it? https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...71586795020293

However, this is telling:

https://theathletic.com/3193757/2022/03/18/why-did-ex-cubs-stars-get-their-big-contracts-elsewhere-and-how-did-those-extension-offers-stand-up-in-free-agency/
                                Yes it does!

I only get 10 keepers this year. I am trying to find a way to keep him at $8.

Comment

Working...
                                X