mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 11-25-2013, 02:14 PM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

2013 Mariner pitching was two starters and a cloud of dust:
    Felix + Iwakuma: 26-16, 2.84/1.067

starters overall: 55-58, 4.18/1.283
    relievers: 16-33, 4.58/1.412

AL overall:
    as Starter: 4.15/1.3291
    as Reliever: 3.69/1.295

2013 AL worst reliever stats:
    Houston: 4.92/1.522
    Seattle: 4.58/1.412
    White Sox: 4.00/1.395
    Angels: 4.12/1.353
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Where do you start with this team?

Jack Z is in the last year of his contract, does make wild moves to try to save his job? They have holes throughout the lineup, big-name free agents don't seem to want to go there, ownership meddles in baseball decisions.
      On the plus side they have an envyable amount of talented pitchers -- majors and minors.
      Clearly they need a big bat(at least one), at 1B, LF or DH, yet they seem to be focused on a closer. There is no way (IMHO) that they can compete with OAK/TEX this year. Leave Farquar in the closer spot, spend the $$ on a bat!
      If they buy a bat (Choo, Elsbury, Beltran--I prefer the first 2) and if by some miracle Montero remembers how to hit and if one of Walker/Paxton/Hultzen come through strong ---- they have a shot at being respectable---that is over .500.

All said it comes down to what does/can Jack Z do to save his a$$.
      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
        All said it comes down to what does/can Jack Z do to save his a$$.
        I'm no expert, but I don't see what he can do to save his job. He's had several years to build, and hasn't done it. The offense is still offensive and the pitching indifferent at best once you get beyond the first two starters, as Controller Jacobs mentioned.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          I'm no expert, but I don't see what he can do to save his job. He's had several years to build, and hasn't done it. The offense is still offensive and the pitching indifferent at best once you get beyond the first two starters, as Controller Jacobs mentioned.
          True, perhaps I should have said "All said it comes down to what Jack Z does in an attempt to save his a$$.

Comment

This may also change a few things--
            Per MLBTraderumors:
            Longtime Mariners president and COO Chuck Armstrong will retire effective January 31 of next year, the team announced via press release.

Comment

It sure seems like the Mariners have a crap-ton of freed up budget space this off-season. The only two guys with big contracts are Felix and Iwakuma, and they total a combined $28.5 million in 2014. Beyond that it’s either guys at league minimum or early arbitration along with a few buyouts (F.Gutierrez, J.Saunders, C.Figgins). I suppose it depends on how they’ve allocated the 1st round draft pick money for Ackley and Hultzen, but even then, that’s still only a few million more if it goes against the budget. If we have a budget of $95 million or so, it seems like we could legitimately have somewhere in the vicinity of $50-55 million to spend.

That's a lot of money, but we’ve also got a slew of question marks across the roster. I see openings at DH, 1st base (I’m not counting Smoak at this point as he’s just terrible), at least two outfield spots (depending on what happens with Ackley and/or Nick Franklin), and at least one starting pitcher spot.

Even with all this dough, as an M's fan, it's very tough to stay positive at this point. I was hoping a new GM would be given the keys to this off-season considering how much money is available to spend. Instead, Zduriencik will get yet another chance to put his stamp on our roster, and it could be the final nail in the coffin of his career. If he goes after anything like what he's been targeting the last couple of years, consider me frightened with what he could do with such budgetary freedom.

They've been near the top of the draft for years now and have been fairly mediocre in how they've brought along that talent, including those they've traded for. Ackley sucks. Nick Franklin might just suck. Smoak is historically awful. Montero is horrible, even at the only thing he was supposed to be good at. Michael Saunders looks more like a 4th outfielder than a starter. They brought up Zunino before he could even hit over .200 in Triple-A and it shows. Hell, they only have two guys on offense who project as league average or better in 2014 -- Brad Miller and Kyle Seager -- and that's giving Miller the benefit of the doubt on his progression.

As for pitching, sure, they have Iwakuma and Felix. But Tai Walker is still super raw and is years away from settling into his upside. And Paxton is overrated by most everyone at this point due to his hot September. Realistically, he'll likely top out as a #3 starter, but he's got more downside than most people are admitting. And the relief corps is crappy, too. Every good relief arm that's come up in the Seattle system in the last few years has either blown out his arm or been traded for next to nothing.

And there isn't much minor league depth at this juncture either. They have a slew of 4th outfielder types, but no real impact outfield prospects. The only hitter worth a damn in their system is 1st baseman DJ Peterson, but he's in the low minors and has a long road ahead. Hultzen is likely toast with his labrum injury and that leaves Victor Sanchez as the top arm in the system -- not exactly a five star stud. The big league squad has gaping holes at first base, DH, left field, center field, they need a platoon partner for Saunders in right, and the team has next to nothing in the minors to fill these slots any time in the next two years or more.

I just don't see it. The M's have been horrible at growing their own talent for a good long while, and their GM is incapable of putting together a team of managers who shows any interest in helping the kids develop at the big league level. Oh, and the same GM also has next to no idea how to best construct a big league roster with available talent. Instead, he opts to go for flashy things like dingers in lieu of actual value to his team.

I liked Buster Olney's article the other day on the M's. He basically said that every guy in baseball wants Zduriencik's job right now because of all the budget room, the great stadium, and the new tv deal the team has. It's just too bad the M's wouldn't get rid of Z and hire one of those imminently more qualified chaps to take those reins and lead the franchise into a better place.

Comment

Bodz,

If I didn't know better, I'd say you're a bit on the pessimistic side right now.

Seriously, though, I know the feeling. We Pirates fans went through 20 years of this. Hang in there, my friend; unless you're a fan of the Cubs, Royals, Mets, or Marlins, you know the bad times WILL end.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

unless you're a fan of the Cubs, Royals, Mets, or Marlins, you know the bad times WILL end.
                  Well played.....except for the last one, with the Marlins the bad times will end.....then start again the following season!

Comment

Bodz,

If I didn't know better, I'd say you're a bit on the pessimistic side right now.

Seriously, though, I know the feeling. We Pirates fans went through 20 years of this. Hang in there, my friend; unless you're a fan of the Cubs, Royals, Mets, or Marlins, you know the bad times WILL end.
                    I've recently had an idea for a Michael Moore type documentary where I go up to all former and current Mariners front office and manager types and ask them what the **** they've been doing for the last decade. I'd like to call it Stalking Bill Bavasi (patent pending).

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                      I've recently had an idea for a Michael Moore type documentary where I go up to all former and current Mariners front office and manager types and ask them what the **** they've been doing for the last decade. I'd like to call it Stalking Bill Bavasi (patent pending).

I don't picture you as a fat, disgusting slob who wears his politics on his sleeve and who edits people's words to fit his political agenda and who leaves out the inconvenient facts. Then again, you probably wouldn't need to edit it that much; the honest answers alone would make your point.

-- William James

Comment

Ryan Divish, the new Mariners beat reporter for the Seattle Times, had a live chat today. Here was a revealing Q&A:

Q: Do you think Jack Zduriencik is in over his head with full GM responsibilities?
                        Divish: Many, many many many people in baseball have told me that.

Comment

Ryan Divish, the new Mariners beat reporter for the Seattle Times, had a live chat today. Here was a revealing Q&A:

Q: Do you think Jack Zduriencik is in over his head with full GM responsibilities?
                          That's a lot of manys.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            That's a lot of manys.
                            It's also a cheesy, popular-among-reporters way of saying, "I agree but don't have the balls to say so in public". If he says it this way and Mariners management gets upset (understandably), he can always say, "Hey, I was just reporting what I was told!"

Or it could be that no one told him this and he's just stirring the pot, trying to establish himself as an in-your-face participant rather than as an actual reporter.

-- William James

Comment

Willie Bloomquist for 5.8 million.

p.s. Can somebody check on Bod and make sure he is ok

Comment

Working...
                              X