Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    There's no doubt durability is a skill.
    To an extent, training, diet, stretching, technique, play style are skills that can be developed, but at least some of it seems genetic. Look at a guy like Stanton. There is no doubt that guy trains as hard as anyone. He takes care of his body better than many guys who don't get hurt as often. He is physical gifts that exceed most humans who have ever lived. Yet durability is not one of them. He gets hurt despite limited exposure high risk fielding compared to Buxton in his career, and recently has managed to get hurt as a DH. So I see it more as a physical attribute, like batting eye.

Comment

• Twins place SP Kenta Maeda on the 10-day IL with a groin strain.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Twins place SP Kenta Maeda on the 10-day IL with a groin strain.
        If I told him once I told him a thousand times! Less groin more arm.

Comment

• Wait, the Twins have the worst record in baseball? Holy frijoles, I had no idea!
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Twins place SP Kenta Maeda on the 10-day IL with a groin strain.
            A good source in the dodger system told me a couple of years ago that Maeda was a physical mess and how he has held it all together has been a miracle. This was in response to my question of how they signed him for so little in the first place.

Maybe it's all catching up to him?
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• after watching a fair amount of Twins games early in the season I have to say, to me Sano always looked like one of the toughest outs on the team. I am not surprised about his recent hitting.

Comment

• If you’re in redraft leagues with OBP, take a close look at Trevor Larnach, who may be on your league’s waiver wire. OBP up to .390 with his 12th walk of the season today in just 69 PAs.

Comment

• Mitch Garver underwent groin surgery on Tuesday. I think he may be out for awhile.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Mitch Garver underwent groin surgery on Tuesday. I think he may be out for awhile.
                    Willians Astudillo as the replacement for Garver? Seems like a good offensive oriented catcher replacement? I lost D Arnaud, then A. Nola then Garver. available catchers are Murphy (Sea), Sanchez, Caratini, Barnes (LAD)

Per Forbes article... Amid the issues of a rough start to the 2021 season, 29-year-old utility player Willians Astudillo has been an exciting, consequential hitter. He continues to hit the ball with authority.
                    Nicknamed The Tortuga (The Turtle), Astudillo is hefty and solid. He is known by scouts as a “bad bodied” player. While that’s true, other than his total lack of speed, his stout frame has not really impacted his offensive ability.

As noted in this scout’s original notes regarding Astudillo, he can hit fastballs and breaking balls. He isn’t fooled. He doesn’t lunge or chase after pitches. He can hit balls thrown in any of the four quadrants of the plate. He can barrel pitches to all fields, taking the pitch where it is thrown. He’s an aggressive, professional hitter.

Astudillo goes to the plate to hit. He isn’t looking to walk. In fact, in 386 big league plate appearances as of this writing, he has walked only seven times. That’s almost as bizarre a statistic as his minuscule 18 strikeouts

He can flat out hit. He can hit the gaps. He rarely strikes out. He rarely walks. He is defensively challenged, yet capable of playing defense. He is intriguing. Interesting. Fun to watch and the type of player baseball needs to generate fan interest.

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB

2018 26 MIN AL 29 97 93 9 33 4 1 3 21 0 0 2 3 .355 .371 .516 .887 139 48 4 1 0 1 0 2/5D4871H
                    2019 27 MIN AL 58 204 190 28 51 9 0 4 21 0 0 5 8 .268 .299 .379 .678 80 72 6 5 0 4 0 235/H974D
                    2020 28 MIN AL 8 16 16 4 4 1 0 1 3 0 0 0 2 .250 .250 .500 .750 103 8 0 0 0 0 0 /2H
                    2021 29 MIN AL 32 100 97 7 28 4 0 4 12 0 0 0 8 .289 .300 .454 .754 114 44 1 2 0 1 0 3/254H19

4 Yrs 127 417 396 48 116 18 1 12 57 0 0 7 21 .293 .314 .434 .748 103 172 11 8 0 6 0

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Willians Astudillo. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

Last edited by southcoast; 06-02-2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Might be Ryan Jeffers instead of Willians.

Comment

• Mitch Garver...ewwwww. Ow.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Top pitching prospect Blayne Enlow will undergo TJ surgery, so scratch him until '23.

Comment

• Willians Astudillo has a nickname? you know I haven't even been paying attention and I can tell you if I didn't have Kiner-Falefa i'd be giving this guy a try. he's a hit machine. Twins like him. that's what really counts most.

we need more players like Bartolo Colon. baseball is a ripe sport for legendary tales.

Comment

• he belongs on teams like the Royals or Marlins, where good players go to get a chance. only in this case the player will be legendary someday.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                                Willians Astudillo has a nickname? you know I haven't even been paying attention and I can tell you if I didn't have Kiner-Falefa i'd be giving this guy a try. he's a hit machine. Twins like him. that's what really counts most.

we need more players like Bartolo Colon. baseball is a ripe sport for legendary tales.
                                La Tortuga? I thought he was a fan favorite. Pretty sure you can google (or giggle) the video of Astudillo rounding the bases, helmet flying, a few years ago. Instant classic.

Comment

Working...
                                X