2K24: Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Bucs sign Edinson Volquez to a 1 yr deal.
    Volquez looked to be clueless last year, even at Petco. His one above average year was in 2008.

Ray Searage may find this reclamation project to be beyond even his capabilities.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Bucs sign Edinson Volquez to a 1 yr deal.
      Behind door #1, Jonathan Sanchez. Behind door #2, Francisco Liriano. Which will they get?

Comment

Suddenly, the Buccos are lousy with starting pitchers. The projected rotation is now:

1 - Liriano
        2 - Cole
        3 - Wandy
        4 - C. Morton
        5 - Volquez

On the outside looking in now are 2013 NL All Star Jeff Locke, Jeanmar Gomez and former prospect Andrew Oliver. Jameson Taillon is sure to be up in June or July. And AJ Burnett may even be back.

Comment

Question:
          Since Wandy Rodriguez exercised his $13 million option for 2014, is the $2.5 million contract buyout still available to the Pirates if they would want to part ways with him? Or has that time passed?
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Volquez for $5mil is a good gamble. The Pirates will need to give pitching coach Ray Searage a big contract if he can turn Volquez around.

Morton for $4mil, $8mil, & $8mil over 3 years could end up being a bargain for a solid #3 pitcher. Also a $9.5mil ($1mil buyout) team option in year 4.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              Volquez looked to be clueless last year, even at Petco. His one above average year was in 2008.
              actually the FIRST HALF of 2008, he had great numbers.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                actually the FIRST HALF of 2008, he had great numbers.
                It's odd that Dusty Baker gets blamed for the injuries to Mark Prior and Kerry Wood with the Cubs, and for Aaron Harang's decline with the Reds, but never for Volquez's rise and fall with Cincinnati.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

The neverending story continues. From Rotoworld--

"FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that A.J. Burnett is "in discussions with multiple clubs."
                  Rosenthal references Todd Zolecki of MLB.com's report that the Phillies are in on the right-hander, and he says the Pirates are "presumably another" club talking to Burnett. Indications to this point are that it will likely come down to those two teams, but Rosenthal's report suggests other squads could be in the mix, as well."

The rumors probably include almost any team east of Ohio and north of Virginia, although I doubt he'd have much interest in the team that wears pinstripes at home.

Yes, the Pirates are fairly deep in the rotation right now, but I'd still like to see Burnett back and Volquez in long relief.

-- William James

Comment

Wasn't Burnett mad at the Pirates for a postseason rotation decision? Pretty sure I'm remembering that right.

Comment

I doubt things like this are playing a major role in Burnett's decision.

$$$$$$$$$
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                        Wasn't Burnett mad at the Pirates for a postseason rotation decision? Pretty sure I'm remembering that right.
                        Yes, Gerritt Cole got the nod over Burnett in game 5 of the NLDS. But, in Clint Hurdle's defense, Burnett was bad in game 1 while Cole was great in game 2. I really think that Burnett wants to return to Pittsburgh and is only dragging this out to try to get the cheap Pirates to increase their offer. I've been hearing that he's been throwing and working out all winter as though he never intended to retire.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Chris Stewart has a knee injury and will start the season on the DL, opening the door for Tony Sanchez to make the 25-man. Sanchez has a pretty good bat for a backup.

If there's been any progress at all on the 1B situation, I haven't seen it.

Comment

Oh and they're also shopping Tabata, probably because Polanco looked so damn good this spring.

With Spring Training's end drawing closer, the Pirates are shopping right fielder Jose Tabata and also willing to listen to …

Tabata, still just 25 years of age, is owed $11.75MM over the next three seasons and has a trio of club options on his deal ranging from $6.5MM to $8.5MM. Tabata will earn $3MM in 2014, $4MM in 2015, $4.5MM in 2016 and has a $250K buyout on his $6.5MM option for 2017.
                            I said when the deal was signed that the worst case was that Tabata became a well paid 4th OF. Now that he's going to become a well paid 4th OF I guess the Pirates don't want to pay it. Part of that is that his speed has slipped a little bit and he can't really play CF any more, but the Pirates have 2 CFs already (Marte and Cutch) and even Polanco is a capable CF, so I don't see why it matters.

The Nats signed Nate McLouth to a 2-year, 10.5mil deal this off-season to be a good 4th OF.

Comment

Opening day lineup

LF Marte
                              RF Travis Snider
                              CF Cutch
                              3B Pedro
                              C Martin
                              2B Walker
                              1B Travis Ishikawa
                              SS Jordy Mercer
                              SP Liriano

Comment

Any news in the Pittsburgh area around Taillon? Last I heard he was supposed to be getting a 2nd opinion on his elbow Monday, March 31, but I didn't hear the results of that second opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X