mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

This team is set up pretty efficiently at SP and MI, and they addressed 1B with Jose Abreu. But they had the worst offense in the AL in 2013, and need a lot more offense out of LF, RF, 3B and Catcher. They could arguably afford to wait - they've got a lot of young pitchers under team control thru 2017.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Their farm still has a long way to go and I wonder if trading Sale is something they should consider. They're a long way off, and his delivery is so scary. If they could get a package like the Rays got for Shields (Sale is probably worth more than that), it could go a long way towards solving their long-term issues.

Maybe Semien is a long-term starter at 2B. If you wish really hard maybe Leury Garcia settles in as a regular SS. They have Avisail Garcia who I like in RF. They have Abreu who is hopefully a middle of the order bat at 1B/DH.

But they also have guys like Alexei, Dunn, even Beckham and De Aza who aren't long-term solutions.

Comment

with the acquisition of Eaton, who gets bumped to the bench? Dayan Viciedo? Avisail Garcia? Maybe Juan Abreu starts the year in the minors?

Comment

given my impression of the White Sox org, I doubt they know yet. I assume they'll make a decision based on Spring Training stats.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            I assume they'll make a decision based on Spring Training stats.
            or they'll make another trade....
            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              with the acquisition of Eaton, who gets bumped to the bench? Dayan Viciedo? Avisail Garcia? Maybe Juan Abreu starts the year in the minors?
              Neither one, they're both corner outfielders, and young besides. Look for De Aza to go, IMO...and for them to aggressively shop Dunn for a bag of balls. Both he and Pauly are going to be gone by next season, so there's no reason to wait when they have a logjam...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Neither one, they're both corner outfielders, and young besides. Look for De Aza to go, IMO...and for them to aggressively shop Dunn for a bag of balls. Both he and Pauly are going to be gone by next season, so there's no reason to wait when they have a logjam...
                YOu are correct, oh sage one:

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the White Sox will be fielding trade inquiries on Alejandro De Aza following the acquisition of Adam Eaton.
                Eaton will take over in center field, leaving De Aza without a position. De Aza is projected by MLBTradeRumors.com to make $4.4 million in his second year of arbitration this winter. It's not a bad price to pay for a guy that's batted .278/.343/.421 with 30 homers and 58 steals over his last two and a half seasons.
                Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter
                Dec 10 - 6:57 PM

Comment

If they can get a good return for the underrated De Aza, that's one thing, but they shouldn't just give him away. I'm not big on Viciedo anymore, and I can see both Eaton and De Aza starting.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

wow that bullpen looks pretty scary now without Reed anchoring it ...
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      wow that bullpen looks pretty scary now without Reed anchoring it ...
                      2014 is a fine year to the ride out the Dunn contract and hope Konerko finally gets the hint.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                        2014 is a fine year to the ride out the Dunn contract and hope Konerko finally gets the hint.
                        Pretty sure that Pauly announced that this is going to be his last year...

Gotta say that I really like the way that the Sox are retooling...they should be really good in a couple of years.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Pretty sure that Pauly announced that this is going to be his last year....
                          And he's accepted being a part-time player.

Gotta say that I really like the way that the Sox are retooling...they should be really good in a couple of years.
                          I was with you until then. I think their direction is clueless and screwed up, with the exception of being smart enough to not deal Sale.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            with the exception of being smart enough to not deal Sale.
                            So far.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              And he's accepted being a part-time player.

I was with you until then. I think their direction is clueless and screwed up, with the exception of being smart enough to not deal Sale.
                              How do you figure clueless? They're dealing from positions of strength, and filling the positions with young, controllable players who have a pretty nice upside. A closer isn't a necessity for a club that might lose 90 games, and as far as that's concerned, Reed was a bit of a gas can himself at times last year. Get rid of Ramirez and we'll see what they've got...I really like Eaton and Garcia, Davidson is supposed to be the real deal, and I think that Jones can close for them as well, if not better than Reed did. Add in Abreu, let Pauly show him the ropes, and let Dunn ride out his deal...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X