2K24: Chicago White Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    I think their direction is clueless and screwed up, with the exception of being smart enough to not deal Sale.
    I think the attemp to get high-ceiling young guys (Abreu, Garcia, Davidson, Eaton) without giving any youth in return is a good plan. The fault is that their farm system is barren.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      How do you figure clueless? They're dealing from positions of strength, and filling the positions with young, controllable players who have a pretty nice upside. A closer isn't a necessity for a club that might lose 90 games, and as far as that's concerned, Reed was a bit of a gas can himself at times last year. Get rid of Ramirez and we'll see what they've got...I really like Eaton and Garcia, Davidson is supposed to be the real deal, and I think that Jones can close for them as well, if not better than Reed did. Add in Abreu, let Pauly show him the ropes, and let Dunn ride out his deal...
      Yeah, we're diametrically opposed on Eaton, as I think he's a quad A player, who I think will give them another light hitting, low power, mediocre defensive presence in the OF. I'm mystified at the hype over Davidson, or why he's a top-100 prospect. His A-ball and AAA-ball were played in very, very hitter favorable parks, and he's never broken a .500 SLG in the minors. Shoot, he had two failed veterans at Reno to compare - Mike Jacobs and Kila Ka'aihue, with Jacobs slugging over .500 and Kila slugging over .600. I can't figure how a .830ish OPS in a park like Reno is going to translate to even a .700 OPS in a real park, but I suppose we'll see.

All that slagging aside, I did like the Avisail deal for them, and I agree that he's got huge upside.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeah, we're diametrically opposed on Eaton, as I think he's a quad A player, who I think will give them another light hitting, low power, mediocre defensive presence in the OF. I'm mystified at the hype over Davidson, or why he's a top-100 prospect. His A-ball and AAA-ball were played in very, very hitter favorable parks, and he's never broken a .500 SLG in the minors. Shoot, he had two failed veterans at Reno to compare - Mike Jacobs and Kila Ka'aihue, with Jacobs slugging over .500 and Kila slugging over .600. I can't figure how a .830ish OPS in a park like Reno is going to translate to even a .700 OPS in a real park, but I suppose we'll see.

All that slagging aside, I did like the Avisail deal for them, and I agree that he's got huge upside.
        Regarding Davidson, he was one of only six hitters in the PCL last year at less than 23 years of age (> 143 AB). And he's not sneaking a year - Mar 22 birthday means he was one of the younger 22 year olds (BR age is as of mid-year/June 30).

His strikeouts merit concern, but I think he's shown well in the minors, particularly when you take age into account.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

From Rotoworld--

"Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com reports that the White Sox have some interest in re-singing Brian Omogrosso.

Omogrosso made just 12 appearances at the big league level in 2013 before undergoing a cleanup procedure on his elbow in September. He was non-tendered, but the White Sox evidently haven't closed the door on a reunion. It would likely be a minor league deal. "

Something about that last name has always made me steer clear.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

What are Matt Davidson's prospects of making the big team out of camp? They traded Reed to get him, so he should be pretty good, but he is only 23/24.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              What are Matt Davidson's prospects of making the big team out of camp? They traded Reed to get him, so he should be pretty good, but he is only 23/24.
              With the roster they have today, he's almost a mortal lock to be the starting 3B. The WS have nothing else there of note. The only way he doesn't is due to injury or complete, utter suckitude during Spring Training.

Comment

With the roster they have today, he's almost a mortal lock to be the starting 3B. The WS have nothing else there of note. The only way he doesn't is due to injury or complete, utter suckitude during Spring Training.
                They could go with Gillaspie to start the season and delay Davidson until after the super two date, it's not like they're playing for 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                  They could go with Gillaspie to start the season and delay Davidson until after the super two date, it's not like they're playing for 2014.
                  Good point. Would be smart to get Davidson into Charlotte for a bit to see how he'd likely do at Chicago - the Knights stadium plays somewhat similar to Chicago's, favorable for HRs, but pretty neutral on runs/hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                    That was my thought as well. The Cubs recently did that with Rizzo.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

If Davidson is barely athletic enough to play 3B at 23, why worry about keeping him around for his age 30 season? If he's ready then play him.

Comment

What do you think of Davidson as one of Revo's players?

Oliver projects .210/.281/.373 to 600 PA, which is unrealistic. Steamer has .237/.307/.408 but only 270 PA. I think his actual MLB numbers work better. The Sox have almost no options at 3B and Davidson will take a free pass. He may start in the minors, because of super 2, but this guy will play and hit the ball hard. If he breaks camp with the team:

2014 600 PA, .237/.307/.408, 22 HR, 7 SB

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

This could be interesting, either good or bad. From Rotoworld--

"Dayan Viciedo said Saturday that he's willing to play wherever the team asks him to, including third base.
                          The 24-year-old appeared in 23 games at third base with the White Sox during his rookie season in 2010, but has been used almost exclusively as an outfielder since. With an excess of quality options in the outfield however, without a trade the White Sox may have to find creative ways to get all of their bats in the lineup, and Viciedo playing third base could be an option if he can handle the position defensively."

I'm not sure that any GB pitchers on the White Sox staff would like this, but it would get one of the comparatively better bats the Sox have into the lineup more often.
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Possible lineup----age
                            1B Abreu--26
                            2B Beckham --27
                            SS Ramirez--32
                            3B Davidson --22
                            RF Garcia --22
                            CF Eaton --25
                            LF Viciedo --24
                            C Phlegly --25
                            With De Aza being 29 he's only younger than Ramirez. He may get moved for youth (bullpen help?)
                            Their Minor league system is thin, so they are trying to get young at the major, or near major league level by trade (Eaton, Davison) or thru guys like Abreu.
                            I can see Ramirez going as well to make room for Semien, but they may want Alexi around to help Abreu acclimate.
                            With 3 starters 25 and under as well (Sale, Quintana and Johnson), they should be a fun team to watch and root for.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Matt Davidson optioned to the minors. Lost out to Conor Gillaspie, of all people.
                              Minor league options remaining can play a big role in opening day roster decisions

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                                with the acquisition of Eaton, who gets bumped to the bench? Dayan Viciedo? Avisail Garcia? Maybe Juan Abreu starts the year in the minors?
                                Of course I have Viciedo on my bench in a 20 teamer because Verlander is on the mound....4 for 4 and hitting .361...wait...this isn't the whining thread

Comment

Working...
                                X