X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Groot.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Cleveland Spiders would have been cool, although I think that actually was a different franchise. Cleveland Guardians has a lot of historical context to it and to the fans. Decent logo, too. Obviously the name is similar to Indians, too.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• When you really think about it, most MLB teams have either very generic or kind of stupid names.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          Cleveland Spiders would have been cool, although I think that actually was a different franchise. Cleveland Guardians has a lot of historical context to it and to the fans. Decent logo, too. Obviously the name is similar to Indians, too.
          How is the name similar to Indians?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            How is the name similar to Indians?
            it ends in -dians.

Comment

When you really think about it, most MLB teams have either very generic or kind of stupid names.
              Possible exceptions...

Meaningful local connection:
              Astros
              Rangers (if you ignore the racist stuff)
              Brewers
              Padres
              Rockies
              Royals
              could maybe argue for the Angels or Twins here, but those seem less interesting to me, being more about the city name than any characteristic of the city

Interesting and potentially intimidating animal:
              Devil Rays (less so as just the Rays)
              Marlins
              Diamondbacks

Potentially intimidating but generic animal mascot:
              Tigers

The rest of them are a bunch of birds or clothing or less interesting locally connected nicknames (e.g. Nationals, Phillies), etc.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                Possible exceptions...

Meaningful local connection:
                Astros
                Rangers (if you ignore the racist stuff)
                Brewers
                Padres
                Rockies
                Royals
                The "Dodgers" are named for "Trolley Dodgers" because in Brooklyn, many had to dodge trolleys to get safely across the street.

The Twins are named after the twin cities of Minneapolis & St. Paul.

Comment

• And even though I hate the Yankees, the name has some historical tie. Hell even my beloved Metropolitans have a tie, even if it’s bland (any large city could have metropolitans).

Comment

• The Pirates got their name in 1891 by stealing/signing players away from other teams when they were still named the "Alleghenys" and Pittsburgh's North side, where they have always played, was still named Allegheny City.

From Wikipedia:

Before the 1890 season, almost all of the Alleghenys' best players bolted to the Players' League's Pittsburgh Burghers. The Players' League collapsed after the season, and the players were allowed to go back to their old clubs. However, the Alleghenys also scooped up highly regarded second baseman Lou Bierbauer, who had previously played with the AA's Philadelphia Athletics. Although the Athletics had failed to include Bierbauer on their reserve list, they loudly protested the Alleghenys' move. In an official complaint, an AA official claimed the Alleghenys' signing of Bierbauer was "piratical". This incident (discussed at some length in The Beer and Whisky League, by David Nemec, written in 1994) quickly accelerated into a schism between the leagues that contributed to the demise of the A.A. Although the Alleghenys were never found guilty of wrongdoing, they made sport of being denounced for being "piratical" by renaming themselves "the Pirates" for the 1891 season. The nickname was first acknowledged on the team's uniforms in 1912.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Stanford used to be the Indians some time back but changed it to the Cardinal. Guess they were ahead of their time.

Comment

• I am Groot.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Shouldn't it be:

2K21: Cleveland Baseball Team
                          2K22: Cleveland Guardians

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Stanford used to be the Indians some time back but changed it to the Cardinal. Guess they were ahead of their time.
                            Lots of teams started changing their Native American -related names as early as 40 years ago. St John’s changed from Redmen to Red Storm in the early 1990s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Is the traffic in Cleveland really so bad that it needs guardians?

Comment

Working...
                              X