2K24: Los Angeles Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
    Tony Gonsolin w win #16 tonite, to tie Verlander for the MLB lead.

Do you realize that he's lost only 1 G this year? He's 16-1 and has a chance to have the best winning percentage in modern MLB history in a season, depending on what requirements you use to determine qualification. If you use 15 decisions as the minimum threshold for qualification then the record currently is .947, held by Elroy Face of the Pirates, who was 18-1 as a reliever in 1959. If you use at least 1 IP per team game as the qualifier, then the record is .938 by Johnny Allen of Cleveland who was in 1937. Allen had 173.0 IP that year (as well as over 15 decisions). Face had only 93.3 IP in 1959. However, Baseball Almanac lists the current record holder as Max Fried who had a perfect record in the COVID year of 2020, at 7-0. I'm not sure what Baseball Almanac is using as their standards for qualification, as Fried had only 56.0 IP that year and his team played 60 games. Baseball Reference says that there is no strict standard for leader in winning percentage and says that some sites use 12 decisions as the threshold (see below).

Also, I've never been able to verify it conclusively but AFAIK the most number of wins in a season w/o a loss in modern MLB history was by Tom Zachary (you know, the guy that Ruth hit #60 off of in 1927), who was 12-0 as Ruth's teammate on the Yankees in 1929. This, evidently, would constitute the best modern MLB season winning percentage according to some sites.
    Good ole Elroy Shitface of Ball Four fame.

Comment

Tony Gonsolin w win #16 tonite, to tie Verlander for the MLB lead.

Do you realize that he's lost only 1 G this year? He's 16-1 and has a chance to have the best winning percentage in modern MLB history in a season, depending on what requirements you use to determine qualification. If you use 15 decisions as the minimum threshold for qualification then the record currently is .947, held by Elroy Face of the Pirates, who was 18-1 as a reliever in 1959. If you use at least 1 IP per team game as the qualifier, then the record is .938 by Johnny Allen of Cleveland who was 15-1 in 1937. Allen had 173.0 IP that year (as well as over 15 decisions). Face had only 93.3 IP in 1959. However, Baseball Almanac lists the current record holder as Max Fried who had a perfect record in the COVID year of 2020, at 7-0. I'm not sure what Baseball Almanac is using as their standards for qualification, as Fried had only 56.0 IP that year and his team played 60 games. Baseball Reference says that there is no strict standard for leader in winning percentage and says that some sites use 12 decisions as the threshold (see below).

Also, I've never been able to verify it conclusively but AFAIK the most number of wins in a season w/o a loss in modern MLB history was by Tom Zachary (you know, the guy that Ruth hit #60 off of in 1927), who was 12-0 as Ruth's teammate on the Yankees in 1929. This, evidently, would constitute the best modern MLB season winning percentage according to some sites.
      Records have changed with the recent lofting of the Negro Leagues to Major Leagues, but if 100+ IP is the threshold, then it's Ray Brown of the 1938 Homestead Grays, who went 14-0.

If you don't want to count Negro League records, then Gonsolin is the actual winning % leader of those with "MLB" 100+ innings.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Records have changed with the recent lofting of the Negro Leagues to Major Leagues, but if 100+ IP is the threshold, then it's Ray Brown of the 1938 Homestead Grays, who went 14-0.

If you don't want to count Negro League records, then Gonsolin is the actual winning % leader of those with "MLB" 100+ innings.
        100 is too round of a number

(Just kidding)

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

I'm not counting Negro League records because they are incomplete. I'm not familiar w Ray Brown but I'm guessing he had more than 14 decisions that year. He might have been 22-3 or 24-6, or for that matter 28-0. Or, he might have really been 14-0. We'll never know.

BTW, Masahiro Tanaka went 24-0 in the regular season for his Japanese team the year before he came over to the Yankees. That's a record that probably wont be broken for quite a while. He lose a game in the postseason, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            100 is too round of a number

(Just kidding)
            was looking up John Kruk on BR last night while listening to him act the fool on the phillies broadcast (in a good way). He finished his career with 100 HRs and a .300 BA. Seemed super weird to me.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              was looking up John Kruk on BR last night while listening to him act the fool on the phillies broadcast (in a good way). He finished his career with 100 HRs and a .300 BA. Seemed super weird to me.
              He was/is very round.

Comment

• Uh-oh.

Dodgers place Tony Gonsolin on the 15-day IL, retroactive to August 26, with a right forearm strain.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Uh-oh.

Dodgers place Tony Gonsolin on the 15-day IL, retroactive to August 26, with a right forearm strain.
                  And his Cy Young chances just went pffffttttt...

Comment

• Dodgeritis

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      He was/is very round.
                      Was... health issues have him looking svelte these days.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Even after tonite's loss, the Dodgers have the best run differential in MLB by far (318). The modern NL record for a season is 334 by the 1902 Pirates. The Dodgers would appear to be a lock to break this record. The modern MLB record is 411 by the 1939 Yankees. The all-time record is 458 by the 1884 St Louis Maroons.

Comment

• Julio Urias w another very good start tonite. 6.0 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 8 K and a W. He is now tied w Verlander for 2nd in MLB w 17 W. He was the only 20-G winner last year and he has a chance to be the 1st pitcher to win 20 G 2 years in a row since Roy Oswalt in 2004-5. He may have only 3 starts left so he'd have to win each start.

Comment

• Jaime Jarrin retiring as the Dodgers spanish language broadcaster after 64(!!!) seasons.

Comment

• Dodgers ended up w 111 wins, the 2nd most in NL history and tied for 4th most in MLB history. Topped only by the 1906 Cubs (116), the 2001 Mariners (116) and the 1998 Yankees (114).

Comment

Even after tonite's loss, the Dodgers have the best run differential in MLB by far (318). The modern NL record for a season is 334 by the 1902 Pirates. The Dodgers would appear to be a lock to break this record. The modern MLB record is 411 by the 1939 Yankees. The all-time record is 458 by the 1884 St Louis Maroons.
                                Dodgers tied the NL record for run differential w 334, tying the 1902 Pirates.

Comment

Working...
                                X