Baseball Reference page
    mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 11-25-2013, 02:09 PM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

TuloCarGogeddon is scheduled for 2015-17, when their salaries combine for $36-$40M.

But they had three starting pitchers perform well last year, and they're all back.

In fact, the 2013 team really spit in the face of WAR, at least the B-R version - 16 hitting WAR, 17 pitching WAR should add up to at least a .500 record (Arizona had 25 and 5, Washington had 17 and 14). So what the heck, replace the manager and get a good setup guy, maybe the math will smooth out.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
      TuloCarGogeddon is scheduled for 2015-17, when their salaries combine for $36-$40M.
      Thus begins The Monfort fan dance: "We have no interest in trading Tulo."

"But if we did, what are you offering, St Louis?"

But they had three starting pitchers perform well last year, and they're all back.
      Tulo for Matt Adams, Shelby Miller, and Trevor Rosenthal. Best rotation in club history. And Helton replaced at first. Think The Cardinals would bite? Nah, me neither.

In fact, the 2013 team really spit in the face of WAR, at least the B-R version - 16 hitting WAR, 17 pitching WAR should add up to at least a .500 record (Arizona had 25 and 5, Washington had 17 and 14). So what the heck, replace the manager and get a good setup guy, maybe the math will smooth out.
      We need more than that. Two legit starters, a true power/ production threat at 1B or RF, and a full bullpen rebuild - that's what it'll take just to put us in the wildcard picture.
      Last edited by senorsheep; 11-12-2013, 05:17 PM.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
        Tulo for Matt Adams, Shelby Miller, and Trevor Rosenthal. Best rotation in club history. And Helton replaced at first. Think The Cardinals would bite? Nah, me neither.
        Shoot, if you can get Adams, and one of Miller or Rosenthal and a deeper prospect, they should jump all over it. Just with the money you'd save by sending Tulo away you could get another decent SP and a couple solid bullpen pieces. And have some left over, more than likely.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

We need more than that. Two legit starters, a true power/ production threat at 1B or RF, and a full bullpen rebuild - that's what it'll take just to put us in the wildcard picture.
          Yeah, I wasn't entirely serious there. It does make me curious to see what throws it off so much. At first glance I'd say it's being far too kind to some bad pitchers. At least it knows to ding Oswalt though - the Fangraphs WAR calculation loves Oswalt, giving him a 0.9 WAR across 32 brutal innings, reasoning that 49 hits in 32 innings is bad luck, while 3 HR in the same span is skill.

Comment

With Cuddyer expected to move to 1B, any chance we see Kyle Parker starting in the OF next year? Dickerson looked decent enough and I actually have both, but just wondering what the general consensus is.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              With Cuddyer expected to move to 1B, any chance we see Kyle Parker starting in the OF next year? Dickerson looked decent enough and I actually have both, but just wondering what the general consensus is.
              Parker's fate probably comes down to what happens with Dexter Fowler at the winter meetings. If Fowler stays, Dickerson in RF and Cuddyer at 1B is probably the play, leaving no spot for Parker. If Fowler goes, then Dickerson probably gets CF, although there are concerns about whether he can handle it defensively. In that case, you'd think Cuddyer would go to 1B and Parker would compete for RF. However, they've had Parker working out daily at 1B in the fall league, so I'm not sure what that means, exactly. In the "Fowler goes" scenario, Parker would have to beat out Tyler Colvin, Jordan Pacheco, and Charlie Blackmon for playing time, and none of those guys impressed last year, so there is a path for Parker to play in 2014.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Rumor has it that the Rockies have signed LaTroy Hawkins and that they are considering using him as their closer.

@TroyRenck
                Confirming two things: Hawkins has signed with #Rockies, pending physical Ttentative plan is for him to close. But roles aren't set in stone
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  Rumor has it that the Rockies have signed LaTroy Hawkins and that they are considering using him as their closer.

https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/402615656991830020
                  That seems to make sense. Bring in the (soon-to-be) 41 year-old guy who has failed as a closer so many times and has so many blown saves on his resume instead of going with the (soon-to-be) 26 year-old guy who was actually fairly decent at it last year.

No, I'm not a bitter Rex Brothers owner at all.

Comment

Dang, I dropped a $2 Hawkins in the last week of the 2013 season.

Hard to believe he'd be a #1 choice for any closer job, but he does have terrific career #s in Coors (40 IP, 2.70/1.13).

Comment

Not that he was that great, but when does Betancourt return? I figured he'd have a chance at keeping the closer job.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        I'd guess that Brothers/Hawkins would be used in some kind of L/R closer platoon.
                        Managers and other baseball people say that all the time, but when the whistle blows, the right-handed pitcher almost always gets the call.

Given Hawkins' record as a closer, which is far worse than as a setup guy, the Rockies would be best served by having Hawkins pitch the 8th and Brothers the 9th. Old baseball prejudices die hard, though.

(Note: I don't own either in any league, so I can pretend to be objective)
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Uh oh, Mr. Motivation Dan O'Dowd is publically calling out one of his players again:

Linky - http://www.purplerow.com/2013/11/26/...kies-dan-odowd

Originally posted by Dan O'Dowd
                          "I think [Dexter Fowler]'s got to get tougher. No doubt. He's got to show up and play with an edge every day, not just when he thinks he has to. It's got to be that edge that he brings every day. He's got to be a passionate competitor in the game. He has to love the game. He's got to compete because he loves the game and he loves his teammates and he wants to win. It can't be for anything the game provides. It's got to be for those reasons."
                          Based on past history, this usually precedes a trade where we get diminished value for the player because the GM was talking him down in the press...

Comment

Uh oh, Mr. Motivation Dan O'Dowd is publically calling out one of his players again:

Based on past history, this usually precedes a trade where we get diminished value for the player because the GM was talking him down in the press...
                            If what you predicted after a Fowler trade is true - Dickerson in CF, Parker with a shot in RF and Cuddyer at 1B, I am okay with that...

Comment

I agree, sheep. Sometimes a GM, owner, manager, coach, etc., just needs to have a nice healthy cup of STFU, at least until they get some value for the "slacker".

I'm neutral on Fowler, but I don't see how talk like this can do any good. Even if he does "get with the program" and do all those gritty, hustling things O'Dowd wants (although the Sportswriter's Cliche Book says only undertalented white guys can be "gritty"), Fowler will remember how he was publicly disrespected come contract time.
                              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                              -- William James

Comment

Working...
                              X