Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 511 to 515 of 515

Thread: 2K21: Tampa Bay Rays

  1. #511
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    2,986
    Wander Franco is the process of finalizing an 11-year extension w the Rays worth around $182 million guaranteed and as much as $223 million after a 12th year option. This would be the richest contract ever for a MLB player w less than 1 year service time. I'm surprised that the Rays gave a contract this big to anyone. But if he's as good as most expect, this still would be a bargain.

  2. #512
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,864
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    I'm surprised that the Rays gave a contract this big to anyone. But if he's as good as most expect, this still would be a bargain.
    Similar in some ways to the big Longoria contract right

  3. #513
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    2,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Similar in some ways to the big Longoria contract right
    Not as team-friendly as the Longoria K but for a longer period of time. The Rays will get practically all of his best years.

  4. #514
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fantasyland
    Posts
    9,216
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    Wander Franco is the process of finalizing an 11-year extension w the Rays worth around $182 million guaranteed and as much as $223 million after a 12th year option. This would be the richest contract ever for a MLB player w less than 1 year service time. I'm surprised that the Rays gave a contract this big to anyone. But if he's as good as most expect, this still would be a bargain.
    Yeah, the Rays stepped up big. There is risk in any deal this long, but this has the potential to be a massive win-win, and betting on a very high floor 5 tool player like Franco is as low a risk as a 12 year deal for someone with so little experience can get. If Franco becomes what he seems destined to be, the Rays have locked up the face of the franchise at a huge bargain. Franco, on the other side, should never regret a deal that guaranteed his financial future and that of many generations of his descendants, and importantly gave him earlier access to the life changing sums, even if he ends up out earning it by a good bit.

  5. #515
    Triple-A harmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    977
    Franco has never been very much of a SB threat. That element would deliver first round pick value in short order.

    He has speed and is a really good baserunner but it hasn't translated into SB so far. Is there a realistic chance he gets 20+ bags in 2022? Just 2 in 70 games with the Rays last year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •