2K24: Tampa Bay Rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    He's married with 2 kids and he's doing this on the side --- void his contract and send him to Japan to join Bauer.

In other news, Margot needs elbow surgery and Aranda has been recalled
    A 22 year-old millionaire who's married? Wow, he's dumber than I thought.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• It's been a bad week for the Rays. Shane McClanahan will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery for the second time in his career. See you in 2025.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Comment

• Talk about completely ruining a lucrative career that 99.9999% of us can only dream of. He has 9 yrs left on an 11-yr $182 mil. contract, of which he was supposed to have been paid only $3 mil. thru the end of this year. It will be interesting what happens w this. The Rays will try to void the rest of this contract, which would be $179 mil of the $182 mil, but will the MLBPA oppose this? I wouldnt think so but I wouldnt rule it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            Talk about completely ruining a lucrative career that 99.9999% of us can only dream of. He has 9 yrs left on an 11-yr $182 mil. contract, of which he was supposed to have been paid only $3 mil. thru the end of this year. It will be interesting what happens w this. The Rays will try to void the rest of this contract, which would be $179 mil of the $182 mil, but will the MLBPA oppose this? I wouldnt think so but I wouldnt rule it out.
            If there isn't some kind of moral out clause available to teams for long term deals that would not force them to keep paying a player who is convicted of a crime as heinous as pedophilia, than there should be. I'm all for player protections, but it is sickening to think a team would have to pay a guy millions a year who will likely be in prison for part of the deal and they could not possibly bring back to get any value out of. If that is the case, and if the players do not give in to such an out, then I imagine teams will stop giving out such long term deals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

If there isn't some kind of moral out clause available to teams for long term deals that would not force them to keep paying a player who is convicted of a crime as heinous as pedophilia, than there should be. I'm all for player protections, but it is sickening to think a team would have to pay a guy millions a year who will likely be in prison for part of the deal and they could not possibly bring back to get any value out of. If that is the case, and if the players do not give in to such an out, then I imagine teams will stop giving out such long term deals.
              The Pirates stopped paying Felipe Vasquez immediately after his arrest in 2019 for a similar crime involving a 13 year-old girl. He is currently serving a 2-4 year sentence, which to me seems like a very light sentence.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Talk about completely ruining a lucrative career that 99.9999% of us can only dream of. He has 9 yrs left on an 11-yr $182 mil. contract, of which he was supposed to have been paid only $3 mil. thru the end of this year. It will be interesting what happens w this. The Rays will try to void the rest of this contract, which would be $179 mil of the $182 mil, but will the MLBPA oppose this? I wouldnt think so but I wouldnt rule it out.
                Given what's gone on with some players recently, if there wasn't an out clause in the contract, then the Rays should fire their contract lawyers immediately. But we all know the Rays are too smart for making that kind of mistake.

More interesting is that Franco signed this contract while allegedly dallying around with these underage girls. Or why the Rays didn't investigate Franco the person more before handing out such a lucrative extension.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

Given what's gone on with some players recently, if there wasn't an out clause in the contract, then the Rays should fire their contract lawyers immediately. But we all know the Rays are too smart for making that kind of mistake.

More interesting is that Franco signed this contract while allegedly dallying around with these underage girls. Or why the Rays didn't investigate Franco the person more before handing out such a lucrative extension.
                  I am told that the generic morals clause is sufficient to void the contract. I doubt the Union would fight it given the age of the girls involved.

I have the worst luck with great young talents. Jose Fernandez won me a championship then was killed in a boating accident. Franco may not be dead but this is close enough.

Or is it?

In a dynasty league or deep keeper league, would you keep Franco through the offseason?

Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    I am told that the generic morals clause is sufficient to void the contract. I doubt the Union would fight it given the age of the girls involved.

I have the worst luck with great young talents. Jose Fernandez won me a championship then was killed in a boating accident. Franco may not be dead but this is close enough.

Or is it?

In a dynasty league or deep keeper league, would you keep Franco through the offseason?

In a true dynasty league you can keep all your players, so given a large enough roster/bench/minors size you'd be dropping him for a random scrub. I'd probably hold my nose and keep him under the idea that maybe he's innocent?

If you need that roster spot for an actual asset then he's an easy drop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

In a true dynasty league you can keep all your players, so given a large enough roster/bench/minors size you'd be dropping him for a random scrub. I'd probably hold my nose and keep him under the idea that maybe he's innocent?

If you need that roster spot for an actual asset then he's an easy drop.
                      That is the question. He costs a roster spot against a September bloom. Still, that's how I got Elly de la Cruz this time last year.

One other thing is you prevent others from speculating by keeping him off WW.
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Or is it?

I have the option of "franchising" him for next year, which I was going to do until this mess came to light. I dont really know but I would speculate that he will not be playing in MLB next year at all so I think I'll end up dropping him but I can wait until next year. I dont see dropping him yet this year until the situation clarifies itself.

Over the longer term, I'm thinking that he might eventually play in MLB again at some point. Personally, from what I've heard reported what Bauer was alleged to have done is even worse than Franco's misdeeds/stupidity. Bauer was suspended for "only" about 194 G, basically thru the end of this season. He's doing well in Japan and I've heard people predict that he will return to MLB. It remains to be seen whether this will happen. If Bauer comes back, then maybe Franco comes back at some point.

Comment

I have the option of "franchising" him for next year, which I was going to do until this mess came to light. I dont really know but I would speculate that he will not be playing in MLB next year at all so I think I'll end up dropping him but I can wait until next year. I dont see dropping him yet this year until the situation clarifies itself.

Over the longer term, I'm thinking that he might eventually play in MLB again at some point. Personally, from what I've heard reported what Bauer was alleged to have done is even worse than Franco's misdeeds/stupidity. Bauer was suspended for "only" about 194 G, basically thru the end of this season. He's doing well in Japan and I've heard people predict that he will return to MLB. It remains to be seen whether this will happen. If Bauer comes back, then maybe Franco comes back at some point.
                          Well you have time to make a decision, I assume. But regardless of any MLB action isn't there potential for jail time? If there is, that needs to be part of the decision making
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Well you have time to make a decision, I assume. But regardless of any MLB action isn't there potential for jail time? If there is, that needs to be part of the decision making
                            Right, there's that, too. But I would not expect any possible criminal case to be concluded before at least the start of ST next year.

Comment

Or is it?

I'm keeping him until a definitive answer comes. I also have him in RJEL at $5, and this is my option year on him.

Comment

• Jose Siri suffered a right hand fracture when he was hit by a pitch Monday and is expected to miss multiple weeks.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X