2K24: Baltimore Orioles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    I think the evidence is that as of a couple of weeks ago, they were heavily rumored to be looking to move Mullins, Santander, Hays, Mancini, etc., rather than locking them up for a few more years.
    If trading those guys makes them better in their actual window they should do so

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      The Orioles having the first pick and 3 of the top 42 picks in Sunday's MLB draft should also help their cause.

There are some interesting names in this draft:

OF Druw Jones (No. 1 prospect), son of former MLB OF Andruw Jones
      SS Jackson Holliday (No. 2 prospect), son of former MLB OF Matt Holliday
      OF Elijah Green (No. 3 prospect), son of former NFL TE Eric Green
      OF Justin Crawford (No. 13 prospect), son of former MLB OF Carl Crawford

I'm hoping that Green falls to the Pirates, who have the number 4 pick.
      And Cameron Collier (#7 on BA's list), son of former MLBer, Lou Collier.

Comment

Perhaps, but something seems to have changed with Baltimore. They were once one of the MLB's top payroll teams, but I think it's now less about rebuilding than it is something with Peter Angelos's unwillingness to spend.
        I see no reason to believe that the O's wont spend when they're ready to compete again. Mike Elias was one of the architects of the rebuild in Houston and their payroll went up (currently well over the MMLB avg at $176 mil) after they got good. This also is the plan in Baltimore. That's a big reason why they hired Elias in the first place. They want him to do in Baltimore the same things he helped do in Houston.

Comment

I think the evidence is that as of a couple of weeks ago, they were heavily rumored to be looking to move Mullins, Santander, Hays, Mancini, etc., rather than locking them up for a few more years.
          I hadnt heard that about Mullins and Hays. I dont know why they would trade those guys. They're exactly the type of guys they should be trying to get and develop: relatively young, good and cost-controlled for a while. Santander is about as young as Mullins and Hays but not as good: 1.6 bWAR over a 162-game avg as opposed to 3.7 for Mullins and 3.8 for Hays. Santander likely is not as good as the OF prospects that the O's have coming up soon whereas Mullins and Hays are probably as good or better.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            I hadnt heard that about Mullins and Hays. I dont know why they would trade those guys. They're exactly the type of guys they should be trying to get and develop: relatively young, good and cost-controlled for a while. Santander is about as young as Mullins and Hays but not as good: 1.6 bWAR over a 162-game avg as opposed to 3.7 for Mullins and 3.8 for Hays. Santander likely is not as good as the OF prospects that the O's have coming up soon whereas Mullins and Hays are probably as good or better.
            Agree Santander would make sense to move.

As for the others, were these "rumors" due to actual shopping of the players, or one scrub beatwriter thinking, "Baltimore, they aren't good normally, surely they'll trade my team their best players", and writing an article on speculation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Agree Santander would make sense to move.

As for the others, were these "rumors" due to actual shopping of the players, or someone scrub beatwriter thinking, "Baltimore, they aren't good normally, surely they'll trade my team their best players", and writing an article on speculation?
              They were all listed in MLB Trade Rumors top 50 deadline deal players available.

Comment

They were all listed in MLB Trade Rumors top 50 deadline deal players available.
                Oh. That's just some writer at MLB Trade Rumors's guess. Doesn't really say anything about the team itself.

Comment

• Orioles about to pick the #1 overall draftee. Noone knows who they'll take. If it were me, I'd take Druw Jones since he's widely considered the #1 talent. There's been a lot of talk that the O's will try to cut an underslot deal w someone else, e.g., Termarr Johnson. If they dont take Jones, I think Brooks Lee is an intriguing choice. He's the only college player that's not a catcher in the top tier of 6-7 players. He's a SS and maybe only 2 years away from MLB, which would be about when the O's will be competitive again.

Edit: They just took Jackson Holliday, a HS SS. Not bad but he probably wont be ready for several years. Now, everyone has said that if the O's didnt take Jones, the DBacks will w the 2nd pick.

Edit: Yep, they took him.

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The Orioles sign #1 overall pick Jackson Holliday with a bonus of $8.19 million.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        The Orioles sign #1 overall pick Jackson Holliday with a bonus of $8.19 million.
                        You forgot to say that it was record-breaking signing for a HS player.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                          You forgot to say that it was record-breaking signing for a HS player.
                          Poor Druw Jones - his record didn't even last a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            Poor Druw Jones - his record didn't even last a day.
                            Pretty sure "poor" is the last adjective I'd use, but that's me

Comment

• Adley Rutschman has a .530 OBP over the last 3 weeks.

Comment

• Mullins out of the leadoff spot for the first time all year. McKenna takes over vs a LH.

Comment

Working...
                                X