2K24: Toronto Blue Jays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    at first blush I'm a bit surprised that this happened before they dealt Arencibia ... then again once the FA C's get taken (as is now happening) perhaps the trade market for catchers will be a bit warmer

I just googled his name + defense to try to gauge how much of an improvement, and get a very wide range of responses ...

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/1...ioner-navarro/

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/07/cotillo-cubs-looking-to-move-dioner-navarro-90420/
    It's a classic case of seeing what you want to see. Kind of like the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

All I know is that Navarro made few friends back in his Tampa Bay days, but was well regarded during his brief time here with the Reds. More importantly, he has some hitting talent, which sometimes can make up for some real or perceived defensive shortcomings.

EDIT TO ADD: The deal is reported to be two years, $8 million. Sounds good for both parties--a bigger payday for Navarro than he ever could have expected a year or two ago, a short enough and "cheap" enough deal for Toronto.
    Last edited by Don Quixote; 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      I have a feeling the Mets are going to end up with Arencibia
      To play catcher or 1B? You think they've frowned on d'Arnuad that quickly?

Comment

at 4 mil per year, meh ... if he can play solid d & hit 250 with a bit of pop I'm okay with it. nothing to get excited over though.

are you expecting him to regress to .200 levels?
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          This Navarro deal has my vote as the worst of the offseason so far.
          I haven't really thought about "worst deals" so far, as we're still early in the process, but IMO this won't be a contender for that "honor". It's only $8 million (yeah, "only") total.

Navarro has been a Dodger twice in his career, and he really stunk it up the second time. A little residual resentment there, eld?
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

The Rangers were rumoured to get JPA in a trade a year ago so he could end up there.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

minors stuff to add:

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
              prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Macier Izturis gone for the year with a torn ligament in his knee.

Comment

Morrow done for 2 months. team is in 5th. I wonder if they can win more than the 74 they won last season? Maybe it is time to start shopping bautista, encarnacion and buehrle !!?? BUUUUTTTT, it is AA handling the negotiations so I sadly hold little hope for a tampa bay type of return on prized gifts...

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                    Morrow done for 2 months. team is in 5th. I wonder if they can win more than the 74 they won last season? Maybe it is time to start shopping bautista, encarnacion and buehrle !!?? BUUUUTTTT, it is AA handling the negotiations so I sadly hold little hope for a tampa bay type of return on prized gifts...
                    And to think that little more than a year ago, AA was being hailed as a boy genius around these parts. Of course, several years ago, the same praise was being sung for Jack Z...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      And to think that little more than a year ago, AA was being hailed as a boy genius around these parts. Of course, several years ago, the same praise was being sung for Jack Z...
                      I still believe in AA's ability to build a team, if he has money to work with. He doesn't. This is why Goins was our starting 2B, and now we've moved on to Chris Getz. Brutal options, but AA seems to have had his hands tied on this one. Unless the team is contending at the all-star break, it's lining up to be a heavy trade season, or possibly fire sale, entirely depending on the team's record. But they won't be given the dough until they're in the playoff race, if at all.

Buehrle, Dickey, Melky, and Rasmus are the most likely to be dealt, in that order. Rasmus is a definite qualifying offer guy, but Melky Cabrera is starting to look like he could be as well. For now, we see how valuable these trade chips become, and how the team's record looks by mid-June.

No major rebuild though. Bautista, Encarnacion, Lawrie all stay. If you've got a crappy team, you still need some star players to sell advertising. Clearly this comes first.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                        I still believe in AA's ability to build a team, if he has money to work with. He doesn't. This is why Goins was our starting 2B, and now we've moved on to Chris Getz. Brutal options, but AA seems to have had his hands tied on this one. Unless the team is contending at the all-star break, it's lining up to be a heavy trade season, or possibly fire sale, entirely depending on the team's record. But they won't be given the dough until they're in the playoff race, if at all.

Buehrle, Dickey, Melky, and Rasmus are the most likely to be dealt, in that order. Rasmus is a definite qualifying offer guy, but Melky Cabrera is starting to look like he could be as well. For now, we see how valuable these trade chips become, and how the team's record looks by mid-June.

No major rebuild though. Bautista, Encarnacion, Lawrie all stay. If you've got a crappy team, you still need some star players to sell advertising. Clearly this comes first.
                        So how long are they going to play Lawrie at 2nd and Francisco at 3rd? I can't imagine that the pitchers are happy about that defensive alignment...and is Gets now relegated to the bench after only 12 AB's?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Yes, fifth place, but only 3 games back or so. No need to panic yet. Give it another month, then panic. Or Don't Panic and always travel with a towel. I've read that this works much better.

Comment

Lawrie came out of the game today with a tight hamstring. Who knows if it's a big deal, but enough for CBS fantasy to put it on the news feed.
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              Yes, fifth place, but only 3 games back or so. No need to panic yet. Give it another month, then panic. Or Don't Panic and always travel with a towel. I've read that this works much better.
                              Douglas Adams would be proud...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                                Douglas Adams would be proud...
                                Sadly, the Braves offense is about as alive as he is now.

Comment

Working...
                                X