It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    I was a manager at the local Hollywood Video back in the 90's and one of my teenage employees loved that movie so much that she would play it in the store VCR every time she worked. And we had about two dozen TVs set up around the store so it was unavoidable. Now, I like the movie, but not several times a week. So, after a few too many viewings, I started hiding all the in-store copies (I think we had 3 total) whenever I saw her name on the schedule. It was funny. The other employees knew that I was hiding them in the managers office. When she would see no copies on the shelf she would check the computer inventory and see that we had a copy or two in stock and start asking the other employees if they saw any of them lol. I think she got the message after awhile.
    This one hits home, I was a teenager in the 90s working at a Hollywood Video (still have bad feelings about those tuxes we used to have to wear).

For some reason our store constantly played Hurcules and I got really tired of that movie quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      This one hits home, I was a teenager in the 90s working at a Hollywood Video (still have bad feelings about those tuxes we used to have to wear).

For some reason our store constantly played Hurcules and I got really tired of that movie quickly.
      I would usually just wear the white tuxedo shirt and red cummerbund without the red bow tie. The District Manager busted me for not wearing the bow tie a few times when I wasn't expecting a visit. All of the local store managers would call and warn each other when the DM was lurking around the area lol. This early warning system worked well unless you were the first store to get visited. Not long after I left the company switched to just wearing polo shirts.
      Last edited by madducks; 01-24-2023, 11:11 AM.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• If you are a war movie aficionado, the Netflix remake of “All Quiet on the Western Front” is absolutely amazing, I would rank it as a Top 15 all-time war flick.
        The Oscar nominees are out, and both "Elvis" and "All Quiet on the Western Front" are nominated for best picture. I don't expect either to win, but AQOTWF should, it was that good.

Watched Elvis last night, and went into it not expecting much. But it far outperformed my expectations, and Austin Butler was so amazing as Elvis, I would say he's a top Best Actor oscar contender. In fact, the only thing drawing the movie back, surprisingly enough, was Tom Hanks' portrayal of Col. Tom Parker, who he gave an interestingly odd and sometimes indecipherable accent that, if you watch film clips, sounded nothing at all like the real Parker. Not exactly sure why that happened, and Hanks' performance probably drops the movie by a half a star. I would go so far to say it was the worst performance of Hanks' storied career. Still, if you can get past that, it's highly enjoyable. Probably a Best Picture contender as well.
        Hanks was nominated as well......but for a Razzie. Which he should win, handily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          This one hits home, I was a teenager in the 90s working at a Hollywood Video (still have bad feelings about those tuxes we used to have to wear). For some reason our store constantly played Hurcules and I got really tired of that movie quickly.
          Not familiar w the movie but fairly certain it was spelled "HErcules".

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            Not to be confused with HERcules, which is likely an adult film.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              That is NOT Fletch!!

I am a fan of Jon Hamm and will gladly watch the movie. I don't care what you call him but he is not Fletch.
              Watched it on a recent flight...I do not recommend it
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Other movies I watched on recent flights:

Top Gun whatever they call it, the new one - it was about as expected, probably been discussed already. Worth watching if you have some time

Barbarian - not Conan, this is a new movie. It was creepy and a bit disturbing, especially watching it on an airplane screen with others possibly lurking. It got good ratings I think. Not something I would usually watch, not sure if I recommend it or not. It was "interesting"

The Man in the Hat - very strange and quirky. Not sure I saw the whole thing or that I want to.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It was terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    It was terrible.
                    yes, absolutely nothing humorous in the whole movie. It was a murder mystery, and a crappy one.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                      Correct thanks for the typing correction!

Comment

yes, absolutely nothing humorous in the whole movie. It was a murder mystery, and a crappy one.
                        No not humorous but it was humerus in that one scene.

Comment

I'm honestly not even sure what it was. Was it a comedy? Then there were no funny bits/scenes at all. And I don't believe that was for a lack of trying. Was it a drama? Maybe? Who knows? Was it based purely on the books? Who knows, but frankly, who cares? I just hope they don't make another one and further sully the legacy.

Comment

• Today I decided to see "All Quiet on the Western Front", partly upon the recommendation of someone here, partly because I thought the original was so powerful. I was disappointed. The original was an anti-war film, maybe the very first one, and it delivered the message superbly. This one paled in comparison. The new one wasnt so much an anti-war film as it was a dramatization of the insanity of a particular war and a particular general. It had a lot of what I hate about modern movies, that is it tries to overwhelm and intimidate you w a lot of special effects and violence under the guise of "realism" and thinks this is an adequate substitute for good story-telling. It didnt even have the great scene from the original where the main character speaks about the war to the class of students. I know I probably am in the minority here but I was unimpressed. Someone here said that it probably wouldnt win an Oscar. It doesnt deserve one. Would much rather watch the original.

Comment

• Thursday Nights have become dinner and a movie with my youngest adult daughter and my wife.

My daughter had never seen Stand By Me.

She had no idea who the young actors were by sight. At one point she said that guy sort of looks like the guy from 24. We laughed and said it is Kiefer Sutherland. Got a big kick out of Jerry O'Connell and how much he changed. The movie has held up very well. Some fantastic acting by the young men who would go on to successful careers.

Stand By Me is Exceelent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Thursday Nights have become dinner and a movie with my youngest adult daughter and my wife.

My daughter had never seen Stand By Me.

She had no idea who the young actors were by sight. At one point she said that guy sort of looks like the guy from 24. We laughed and said it is Kiefer Sutherland. Got a big kick out of Jerry O'Connell and how much he changed. The movie has held up very well. Some fantastic acting by the young men who would go on to successful careers.

Stand By Me is Exceelent.
                                IMO this has to be one of the most overrated movies of all time. I have probably watched it twice, and despite wanting to like it, I found it a little boring both times. Clearly, I'm in the minority as it is ranked in the top 250 movies on IMDb. Although it does have a nice feel of nostalgia to it due to both the time period of the story and the now popular young actors who were all unknown at that time.
                                Last edited by madducks; 01-27-2023, 10:36 AM.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X