Page 215 of 215 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215
Results 2,141 to 2,147 of 2147

Thread: It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

  1. #2141
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    10,294
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    yes, absolutely nothing humorous in the whole movie. It was a murder mystery, and a crappy one.
    No not humorous but it was humerus in that one scene.

  2. #2142
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    25,155
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    yes, absolutely nothing humorous in the whole movie. It was a murder mystery, and a crappy one.
    I'm honestly not even sure what it was. Was it a comedy? Then there were no funny bits/scenes at all. And I don't believe that was for a lack of trying. Was it a drama? Maybe? Who knows? Was it based purely on the books? Who knows, but frankly, who cares? I just hope they don't make another one and further sully the legacy.

  3. #2143
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    3,427
    Today I decided to see "All Quiet on the Western Front", partly upon the recommendation of someone here, partly because I thought the original was so powerful. I was disappointed. The original was an anti-war film, maybe the very first one, and it delivered the message superbly. This one paled in comparison. The new one wasnt so much an anti-war film as it was a dramatization of the insanity of a particular war and a particular general. It had a lot of what I hate about modern movies, that is it tries to overwhelm and intimidate you w a lot of special effects and violence under the guise of "realism" and thinks this is an adequate substitute for good story-telling. It didnt even have the great scene from the original where the main character speaks about the war to the class of students. I know I probably am in the minority here but I was unimpressed. Someone here said that it probably wouldnt win an Oscar. It doesnt deserve one. Would much rather watch the original.

  4. #2144
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32,704
    Thursday Nights have become dinner and a movie with my youngest adult daughter and my wife.

    My daughter had never seen Stand By Me.

    She had no idea who the young actors were by sight. At one point she said that guy sort of looks like the guy from 24. We laughed and said it is Kiefer Sutherland. Got a big kick out of Jerry O'Connell and how much he changed. The movie has held up very well. Some fantastic acting by the young men who would go on to successful careers.

    Stand By Me is Exceelent.

  5. #2145
    All Star madducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Posts
    8,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Thursday Nights have become dinner and a movie with my youngest adult daughter and my wife.

    My daughter had never seen Stand By Me.

    She had no idea who the young actors were by sight. At one point she said that guy sort of looks like the guy from 24. We laughed and said it is Kiefer Sutherland. Got a big kick out of Jerry O'Connell and how much he changed. The movie has held up very well. Some fantastic acting by the young men who would go on to successful careers.

    Stand By Me is Exceelent.
    IMO this has to be one of the most overrated movies of all time. I have probably watched it twice, and despite wanting to like it, I found it a little boring both times. Clearly, I'm in the minority as it is ranked in the top 250 movies on IMDb. Although it does have a nice feel of nostalgia to it due to both the time period of the story and the now popular young actors who were all unknown at that time.
    Last edited by madducks; 01-27-2023 at 11:36 AM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  6. #2146
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32,704
    Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    IMO this has to be one of the most overrated movies of all time. I have probably watched it twice, and despite wanting to like it, I found it a little boring both times. Clearly, I'm in the minority as it is ranked in the top 250 movies on IMDb. Although it does have a nice feel of nostalgia to it due to both the time period of the story and the now popular young actors who were all unknown at that time.
    I get wanting to like a movie and just not. I feel that way about Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, and This is Spinal Tap. All them boring to me.

    Just curious how do you feel about Driving Miss Daisy?

  7. #2147
    All Star madducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Posts
    8,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I get wanting to like a movie and just not. I feel that way about Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, and This is Spinal Tap. All them boring to me.

    Just curious how do you feel about Driving Miss Daisy?
    I actually liked Driving Miss Daisy despite it being a slower paced movie. But, I have always been a big fan of Morgan Freeman's work. In spite of this, I didn't think I would like the story and waited about 15 years before finally watching it. I was pleasantly surprised to find it enjoyable.

    I too found the other three movies that you mentioned to be boring.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

    ― Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •