It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    I watched the Ken Burns documentary on Muhammed Ali this weekend and it was "the greatest." Clocking in at over 7 hours long, it includes video highlights of all of his major professional fights and even a few of his amateur bouts plus tons of insider interviews, news videos, and personal videos. There wasn't a dull minute during the entire film. The 4 disc box set was just released last month and would make a great gift for any boxing fan on your list.
    Funny interview from 1971 with Ali https://twitter.com/SRuhle/status/14...123995143?s=20

Comment

• Not sure how this 2017 film slipped by us. If you are A Christmas Carol fan I think you will very much enjoy The Man Who Invented Christmas.

It is a story about how Charles Dickens came to write A Christmas Carol. It is a beautifully filmed period piece taking place in 1843. Acting is very good. I would not recommend it for kids as I think they would find it boring. There was nothing inappropriate.

Mrs. Gregg and I found it highly entertaining.

We followed it up with the 1984 George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol to cap off the evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        Watched Shang Chi and the......10 Rings or whatever it's called on Disney+. That one was fucking awesome. As good as the top tier Marvel movies. Loved it very muchly.
        Same, and liked it even more the second time when I picked up more details that I missed first time. My wife would like me to stop breaking out into "Hotel California" at random times, though.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Same, and liked it even more the second time when I picked up more details that I missed first time. My wife would like me to stop breaking out into "Hotel California" at random times, though.
          I think I am in agreement with your wife on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I think I am in agreement with your wife on this one.
            Most people would be.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              As good as the top tier Marvel movies.
              Here's my unpopular opinion --- that's not saying much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Here's my unpopular opinion --- that's not saying much.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Psyched to see the new Matrix movie! Trailer makes it look pretty exceelently awesoome:

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• The Aretha Franklin biopic "Respect" was very good. I knew her music, but not her sad and troubled story. I was pleasantly surprised by the acting of Jennifer Hudson. But, then i saw that she had already won an Oscar for "Dream Girls" in 2006. I now see why one of Aretha's last requests was to have Hudson portray her in the movie. And Forest Whitaker gives his usual solid performance as Aretha's father. My only complaint is that the movie ends with the year 1972. But, i guess the movie was already long enough at 2.5 hours. Still, an enjoyable watch.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The Power of the Dog is the best movie I've seen this year.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Some recents:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife - meh. Some parts were funny, but bringing back the original three (well, really four, as they hologram in a mute Harold Ramis in one super ultra-cheesy scene) was a little eye-rolling. The central character is a 12-year old girl who seems to have a PhD in Physics. Much better for kids than adults.

King Richard - really well done. Will Smith is fantastic, as always. It's definitely more the "Venus Williams" story than Serena Williams, but overall, a very well done and enjoyable movie.

Finch - you can instantly tell this movie was made during the early days of covid, as Tom Hanks is the only real person in it! It's an apocalyptic thriller that's, as is always the case with Tom Hanks, pretty well done and enjoyable. I wouldn't say it's 'tell your neighbors' good, but you could do worse on a Friday evening.

Dune - maybe it's just me, but I just could not get through this. I tried to pick up where I left off 3 separate times, and nope, I just had zero interest and had no idea what was going on. And no David Bowie!

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          The Power of the Dog is the best movie I've seen this year.
                          Waiting for the right moment / mood to watch it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Not sure how this 2017 film slipped by us. If you are A Christmas Carol fan I think you will very much enjoy The Man Who Invented Christmas.

It is a story about how Charles Dickens came to write A Christmas Carol. It is a beautifully filmed period piece taking place in 1843. Acting is very good. I would not recommend it for kids as I think they would find it boring. There was nothing inappropriate.

Mrs. Gregg and I found it highly entertaining.

We followed it up with the 1984 George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol to cap off the evening.
                            Thanks for the recommendation. I watched it and i thought it was better than any version of "A Christmas Carol" that i have seen. It's a very well done adaptation of the original story combined with Dickens' life story.

I think that older kids who watch other full length movies would find this one interesting. But, yeah probably too long for the little ones.

BTW, today is the 178th anniversary of the first edition of "A Christmas Carol" on December 19, 1843. It was sold out by Christmas Eve.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              The Power of the Dog is the best movie I've seen this year.
                              I gotta find time to watch it. It looks promising, but my wife won't watch westerns, so I gotta go solo on it one night.

Comment

• Been watching Hallmark Christmas movies!
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X