It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Finally saw "No Time to Die" with my kids yesterday. While it was overly long (almost 3 hours!) and much darker than usual (a child used as a hostage, little of Bond's trademark dry humor), it was a somewhat enjoyable end to Daniel Craig's tenure as Bond. While there are a couple of very large shocks, the film stays true to the Bond formula, is pretty much a sequel to 2015's SPECTRE, and is more like the mid 1960s Bonds than any other in recent memory -- a disfigured villain and his henchmen trying to kill the world, for no apparent reason, from a remote island lair, a double agent, Blofeld & SPECTRE, and the usual key Bond props (a tricked out Aston Martin returns, a Q-designed secret weapon, a plane/sub), even a key phrase borrowed straight from 1969's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." But it was missing a few key elements, like little in the way of the beautiful Bond girls, no memorable villain deaths or even a memorable key henchman/woman, and the usual amazing opening scene disappeared. Much of the film was a (now very) common shoot 'em out, and this film had far more killing than any Bond I can remember.

And to borrow the right's phrase, you can smell the "wokeness" -- no more casual sex, a new black female 007, a black Miss Moneypenny, and Q is gay? I certainly can appreciate some diversity, as much of the canon has lacked it, but it seems a little jammed down your throat here. I wonder if this diversity is leading to a major change, probably to Bond himself (or herself?)

And despite the long length, my kids liked it and didn't get too fidgety.

I'd give it a 7.25 out of 10.
    Mrs. Gregg and I watched it. I think we are in agreement with most of your comments.

I enjoyed some of the throw back stuff and references.

Something I thought was humorous. My 10 year old Grandson came over with about 25 minutes to go in the movie. About 10 minutes into this he said Bond is too old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Mrs. Gregg and I watched it. I think we are in agreement with most of your comments.

I enjoyed some of the throw back stuff and references.

Something I thought was humorous. My 10 year old Grandson came over with about 25 minutes to go in the movie. About 10 minutes into this he said Bond is too old.
      My 9-year old is suddenly big into Bond flicks. He started watching Dr. No by himself this week (and I can't imagine this nearly 60-year old flick keeping his attention) and we watched 'Live and Let Die' together Saturday night. He's even starting to know the order of the movies, lol. That's my boy!

Comment

My 9-year old is suddenly big into Bond flicks. He started watching Dr. No by himself this week (and I can't imagine this nearly 60-year old flick keeping his attention) and we watched 'Live and Let Die' together Saturday night. He's even starting to know the order of the movies, lol. That's my boy!
        I can't wait to hear how you answer "Dad, why is that woman's name Pussy Galore?"
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          I can't wait to hear how you answer "Dad, why is that woman's name Pussy Galore?"
          She has a lot of cats.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Or "Dr. Holly Goodhead".
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• We watched Red Notice the other day and were thoroughly entertained.
              “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                We watched Red Notice the other day and were thoroughly entertained.
                Mrs. Gregg watched it with our 10 year old Grandson and enjoyed it very much.

So much so that she suggested we watch it last Monday. I too was thoroughly entertained. Lots of fun.

Comment

• Watched Shang Chi and the......10 Rings or whatever it's called on Disney+. That one was fucking awesome. As good as the top tier Marvel movies. Loved it very muchly.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Finally saw "No Time to Die" with my kids yesterday. While it was overly long (almost 3 hours!) and much darker than usual (a child used as a hostage, little of Bond's trademark dry humor), it was a somewhat enjoyable end to Daniel Craig's tenure as Bond. While there are a couple of very large shocks, the film stays true to the Bond formula, is pretty much a sequel to 2015's SPECTRE, and is more like the mid 1960s Bonds than any other in recent memory -- a disfigured villain and his henchmen trying to kill the world, for no apparent reason, from a remote island lair, a double agent, Blofeld & SPECTRE, and the usual key Bond props (a tricked out Aston Martin returns, a Q-designed secret weapon, a plane/sub), even a key phrase borrowed straight from 1969's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." But it was missing a few key elements, like little in the way of the beautiful Bond girls, no memorable villain deaths or even a memorable key henchman/woman, and the usual amazing opening scene disappeared. Much of the film was a (now very) common shoot 'em out, and this film had far more killing than any Bond I can remember.

And to borrow the right's phrase, you can smell the "wokeness" -- no more casual sex, a new black female 007, a black Miss Moneypenny, and Q is gay? I certainly can appreciate some diversity, as much of the canon has lacked it, but it seems a little jammed down your throat here. I wonder if this diversity is leading to a major change, probably to Bond himself (or herself?)

My wife once said that a Black man could never be a spy in real life because Black men are the most highly scrutinized group, but I also hear her saying things like "there's no way any Black or Asian people would live in this place or time, but I'm happy with the diverse casting regardless." So it goes both ways.

I think you need to realize this new "wokeness" isn't a passing trend, and we either accept and embrace it, or be passed by. I'd rather just accept that diversity is a truer depiction of reality than the former Hollywood straight+white dominated industry. As much as our perception is that all the leads should be white, or all the Black's in the horror movies die, or whatever racist/sexist stereotypes we've become familiar with have really caused a lot of damage. So even if I think the level of diversity casting or woke hat-tips are unrealistic, I'm okay with films paying that price of admission. There are clever or meaningful ways to interweave diverse casting with storyline, and there are clumsy ways to shoehorn it in. I expect most mainstream big budget Hollywood movies to perform quite poorly at making these woke elements seem organic to the story for several years until they get the hang of it.
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I enjoyed Belfast save for the last 15 minutes or so. I'd love to hear Johnny's take.

Eternals was great.

Ghostbusters was fun but they could've made the final showdown a bit more dramatic.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• We just finished the most excellent 1940 film The Shop Around the Corner.

James Stewart, Margaret Sullivan and Frank Morgan.

Very entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                          My wife once said that a Black man could never be a spy in real life because Black men are the most highly scrutinized group, but I also hear her saying things like "there's no way any Black or Asian people would live in this place or time, but I'm happy with the diverse casting regardless." So it goes both ways.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

it makes total sense that Q is gay. i mean, there's no way James Bond dresses that good, unless he has a gay friend. not to mention all the times at the end of the movie he ends up with the woman and Q blushes and is like 'Oh! 007..'

yet i am not sure i am on board with the leading character always getting a sexual dalliance at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              I enjoyed Belfast save for the last 15 minutes or so. I'd love to hear Johnny's take.
                              Isn't released here until January I believe.

Comment

• I watched the Ken Burns documentary on Muhammed Ali this weekend and it was "the greatest." Clocking in at over 7 hours long, it includes video highlights of all of his major professional fights and even a few of his amateur bouts plus tons of insider interviews, news videos, and personal videos. There wasn't a dull minute during the entire film. The 4 disc box set was just released last month and would make a great gift for any boxing fan on your list.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X