It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    IMO this has to be one of the most overrated movies of all time. I have probably watched it twice, and despite wanting to like it, I found it a little boring both times. Clearly, I'm in the minority as it is ranked in the top 250 movies on IMDb. Although it does have a nice feel of nostalgia to it due to both the time period of the story and the now popular young actors who were all unknown at that time.
    I get wanting to like a movie and just not. I feel that way about Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, and This is Spinal Tap. All them boring to me.

Just curious how do you feel about Driving Miss Daisy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I get wanting to like a movie and just not. I feel that way about Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, and This is Spinal Tap. All them boring to me.

Just curious how do you feel about Driving Miss Daisy?
      I actually liked Driving Miss Daisy despite it being a slower paced movie. But, I have always been a big fan of Morgan Freeman's work. In spite of this, I didn't think I would like the story and waited about 15 years before finally watching it. I was pleasantly surprised to find it enjoyable.

I too found the other three movies that you mentioned to be boring.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Jesus Revolution was so much more than I expected. It was indeed Exceelent. I typically shy away from "Christian" movies. In general I find them underfunded over acted and more hard core preachy than I would like. This is not that.

It tells the story of the real life "Jesus freak" movement through the eyes of youth minister Greg Laurie. The Jesus movement of the late 1960's and 1970's started in California before spreading across the country.

Pastor Chuck Smith (Laurie's mentor) was played by Kelsey Grammer. I am a fan and think this is his best work ever.

It is a movie about hope and love but also an accurate portrayal of the times and events of the period.

I hope you will give it a try and enjoy it as much as I did.​

Comment

• I saw that "Everything Everywhere All At Once" swept the Oscars, including Best Picture. Has anyone here seen it? I dont know anything about it other than it supposedly is about the "multiverse", an interesting concept but one I'm extremely skeptical about. Actually, I do think there are many universes other than our own but the "multiverse" concept usually is that at each decision point in our lives we actually choose all available options, each of which occurring in separate universes which evidently somehow get created spontaneously, a concept that I find unimaginably absurd. So it doesnt sound like something that would interest me. So I'm interested if anyone here has seen it yet and found it worthwhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            I saw that "Everything Everywhere All At Once" swept the Oscars, including Best Picture. Has anyone here seen it? I dont know anything about it other than it supposedly is about the "multiverse", an interesting concept but one I'm extremely skeptical about. Actually, I do think there are many universes other than our own but the "multiverse" concept usually is that at each decision point in our lives we actually choose all available options, each of which occurring in separate universes which evidently somehow get created spontaneously, a concept that I find unimaginably absurd. So it doesnt sound like something that would interest me. So I'm interested if anyone here has seen it yet and found it worthwhile.
            My 27 year old daughter liked and highly recommended it to Mrs. Gregg and me. She was wrong. We saw it to the end hoping for the payoff...nope.

I am interested to see what others think about this movie. Just wasn't our cup of tea.

Comment

• I enjoyed it but it definitely ran out of steam by the end and the fact it won Best Pic just tells me it was a bad year for cinema.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I thought it wasn't nearly as good as advertised, and frankly, I'm shocked it swept the awards (especially for Jamie Lee Curtis, I just don't get it.)

Comment

I saw that "Everything Everywhere All At Once" swept the Oscars, including Best Picture. Has anyone here seen it? I dont know anything about it other than it supposedly is about the "multiverse", an interesting concept but one I'm extremely skeptical about. Actually, I do think there are many universes other than our own but the "multiverse" concept usually is that at each decision point in our lives we actually choose all available options, each of which occurring in separate universes which evidently somehow get created spontaneously, a concept that I find unimaginably absurd. So it doesnt sound like something that would interest me. So I'm interested if anyone here has seen it yet and found it worthwhile.
                  The multiverse angle was just a mechanism to tell a story about Asian immigrant family dynamics, the relationship between mothers and daughters, and growing older and reviewing your dreams. I thought it was really sweet.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post

The multiverse angle was just a mechanism to tell a story about Asian immigrant family dynamics, the relationship between mothers and daughters, and growing older and reviewing your dreams. I thought it was really sweet.
                    Mrs. Slasher saw it and recommended it, have not seen it yet. Your description reminds me a bit of "The Joy Luck Club" which I don't even remember much about, but recall I thought it was exceelent many years ago. I much prefer movies about relationships compared to the action and super-hero movies that are popular these days.
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Today I decided to see "All Quiet on the Western Front", partly upon the recommendation of someone here, partly because I thought the original was so powerful. I was disappointed. The original was an anti-war film, maybe the very first one, and it delivered the message superbly. This one paled in comparison. The new one wasnt so much an anti-war film as it was a dramatization of the insanity of a particular war and a particular general. It had a lot of what I hate about modern movies, that is it tries to overwhelm and intimidate you w a lot of special effects and violence under the guise of "realism" and thinks this is an adequate substitute for good story-telling. It didnt even have the great scene from the original where the main character speaks about the war to the class of students. I know I probably am in the minority here but I was unimpressed. Someone here said that it probably wouldnt win an Oscar. It doesnt deserve one. Would much rather watch the original.
                      I watched the remake a couple weeks ago. I thought it was good, I felt the anti-war angle came thru in spite of the immediate context of WW1 Germany. I think I saw the original on a VHS in middle school, but don't really remember it, so it is on my list of movies to watch since it aligns with my anti-war view and is a classic from all reports. I appreciate your review...if the original is better than the remake it will be a really powerful movie.
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Mrs. Slasher saw it and recommended it, have not seen it yet. Your description reminds me a bit of "The Joy Luck Club" which I don't even remember much about, but recall I thought it was exceelent many years ago. I much prefer movies about relationships compared to the action and super-hero movies that are popular these days.
                        I know Joy Luck Club...and this ain't no Joy Luck Club.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

I watched the remake a couple weeks ago. I thought it was good, I felt the anti-war angle came thru in spite of the immediate context of WW1 Germany. I think I saw the original on a VHS in middle school, but don't really remember it, so it is on my list of movies to watch since it aligns with my anti-war view and is a classic from all reports. I appreciate your review...if the original is better than the remake it will be a really powerful movie.
                          Thanx for the props. I think the original is much better, but then again I hate the typical "formula" for modern movies. If you dont mind the 1930-style film methods and technology, including B&W and slower pace, and the lack of a musical score, I think it's very powerful and emotion-stirring. I think the gunfire and explosions were real, no sound effects added - so, altho less "dramatic", this aspect probably was more "real" than the remake.

Comment

• John Wick 4, ummm wow. No idea what to think. If you want to think he’s a superhero, then it’s awesome. If you think he’s a human, then, well, use your imagination, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              John Wick 4, ummm wow. No idea what to think. If you want to think he’s a superhero, then it’s awesome. If you think he’s a human, then, well, use your imagination, lol.
                              I was afraid of this. The ending of Wick 3 dipped a toe into it.

Loved the first one. Liked the second for a sequel. Third one was ok... to meh. Have to watch the 4th on the big screen. Most likely this weekend after the auctions. No where near as excited bout this one as I was for Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                John Wick 4, ummm wow. No idea what to think. If you want to think he’s a superhero, then it’s awesome. If you think he’s a human, then, well, use your imagination, lol.
                                Yeah, saw it last night and I had to fight to stay awake. So much nonsensical macho bullshit. So many silly weapon upgrade scenes felt dumb (nunchucks and that weird fireworks gun). Hard to take the world seriously when hundreds of characters all wear magic bulletproof suits, and they're holding their sleeves and lapels out as shields.

Some good actors putting on trash accents took me out of it.

I love well-done fight choreography, and the hand-to-hand fighting here is fun, but nowhere near Raid: Redemption or RRR.

Man, someone here needs to check out RRR. It does everything JW4 does so much better. The superhero elements in RRR make you feel pure joy, where JW4 induces eye-rolling. I know I don't have a great reputation on recommendations here, but somebody, c'mon... Give it a 5 or 10 minute rule. No way anybody with good taste shuts it off after the intro.
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X