It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Die Hard 5 ... or whatever ... sucks so bad it's almost funny..

2/10 ... deserves 1/10 but I'll bump it a point for destroying more cars in a car chase than I've ever seen before.

So bad.

But what were you expecting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
      Maybe 4/10

Edit: shoulda checked RT first (16%)

Comment

• Eventually got around to seeing Les Mis - same as the stage show ... great first half, dull second half, cop out at the end.

Comment

Die Hard 5 ... or whatever ... sucks so bad it's almost funny..

2/10 ... deserves 1/10 but I'll bump it a point for destroying more cars in a car chase than I've ever seen before.

So bad.
          I thought everything about it was ok to good except for the filming. Gave me a bit of motion sickness and was very distracting. It took a potential A- movie to a C- or D. This is one of the few action flicks that I most likely will not watch again. And I say most likely because it may be more watchable on my home tv vs the big screen. If it has the same feel I will turn it off. So very disappointing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
            7 or 8.

Big budget, good actors, lots of car wrecks, how could the director mess this up so bad?

Comment

• Maybe it's an advancing age thing, but if I'm gonna waste two precious hours of my life on a movie, I need to know going in that's it going to be worth my time. I know instinctively that Die Hard 5 has no chance in hell of approaching that threshold.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                Maybe it's an advancing age thing, but if I'm gonna waste two precious hours of my life on a movie, I need to know going in that's it going to be worth my time. I know instinctively that Die Hard 5 has no chance in hell of approaching that threshold.
                I feel the same way, with the addendum that I'll make time for certain "so bad it's good" films if the potential amusement is there.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  Just saw Looper and loved it. Reminded me of Children of Men with time travel added.

The thing about it is, the stuff about time travel and dystopia are window dressing*. They're vehicles to make points about selfishness and sacrifice.

* -- The filmmaker even acknowlegdes that time travel is incidental to the story by having Bruce Willis say that how it all works is "cloudy."
                  Saw Looper myself and loved it as well, possibly my favorite movie of the year. The time-travel aspect was used very intelligently and the performances by JoGoLev and Bruce Willis were excellent.

Perks of Being a Wallflower was also quite good although once you finally find out the whole story about the main character it seems a little too much. Still a very touching story of high school relationships though.

Comment

• Can't search on this thread on my phone so I don't know if I or anyone else posted about "The Guard"... surprisingly terrific...

Brendan Gleeson (who was In Bruges, Braveheart) and Don Cheadle. Solid 8/10 for me...
                    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                      Can't search on this thread on my phone so I don't know if I or anyone else posted about "The Guard"... surprisingly terrific...

Brendan Gleeson (who was In Bruges, Braveheart) and Don Cheadle. Solid 8/10 for me...
                      Yeah it was good fun. The bad thing for me was that the really funny parts were all in the trailers, so there was no surprises. Despite that it was still very enjoyable. Gleeson is excellent and wonderfully inappropriate.

Comment

• Side Effects ... this is a good almost old fashioned little thriller. Very late 80's, early 90's in style ... the kind of thriller we don't get enough of these days. A side note to the movie is the complacency with which doctors prescribe anti-depressants ... the whole anti-depressants thing is a murky trial and error experiment ... that's a whole other movie I guess. It did bring to mind watching some stream of US TV channels, and the oddity of seeing ads for anti-depressant drugs, with the obligatory side-effects disclaimer ... and other stuff like that. Really weird. Pharmaceutical companies are not allowed to advertise prescribed drugs here, only over the counter drugs.

Comment

Pharmaceutical companies are not allowed to advertise prescribed drugs here, only over the counter drugs.
                          Back when I was covering the pharma industry, the only countries that allowed TV ads for prescription drugs were the USA and New Zealand. Dunno if others have since allowed it.

Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy is essentially a satire of pharmaceutical-company excesses.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Side Effects ... this is a good almost old fashioned little thriller. Very late 80's, early 90's in style ... the kind of thriller we don't get enough of these days. A side note to the movie is the complacency with which doctors prescribe anti-depressants ... the whole anti-depressants thing is a murky trial and error experiment ... that's a whole other movie I guess. It did bring to mind watching some stream of US TV channels, and the oddity of seeing ads for anti-depressant drugs, with the obligatory side-effects disclaimer ... and other stuff like that. Really weird. Pharmaceutical companies are not allowed to advertise prescribed drugs here, only over the counter drugs.
                            +1

really enjoyed this one too ... as you point out both from the suspense/thriller perspective, and from the big-pharma perspective.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I'm convinced the Spanish are trying to make Americans look bad based on the movies they choose for the movie channels here. All I've seen are TV movies based on true stories which are mostly poorly-acted morality tales (rape, cover-ups, deception).

The one movie I did watch on the plane over here was Being Flynn starring Robert De Niro as the alcoholic father of Paul Dano - both of which aspire to be writers. It had a pretty good premise but the script was amateurish and De Niro's character had few redeeming qualities.

Comment

• Safety Not Guaranteed - enjoyable little indie. Really likable characters, quirky and very entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X