No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched two very different films, both very awesome in their own way.

Attack The Block - Independence Day meets Boyz in Tha Hood? Alien invasion flick in the UK ghetto, and I loved it. Thugs join with the working middle class and drug dealers, all trying to rid their particular slum of the aliens. Playing in very select cities in the US right now, but a great looking copy just hit the internet if that's something you do.

The American Astronaut - "Imagine a Laurel & Hardy skit directed by Salvador Dali" is the quote from Entertainment Weekly in the trailer. Shot in black and white, from 2001, it's essentially an arthouse musical/comedy set in space. I had it on my hard drive for a while, but I'm glad I got around to watching it. Seriously awesome piece of film.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      I guess the Leonardo Di Caprio version of Romeo and Juliet doesn't count to you but it is interesting.

There must be a few movies that are reshot with the same dialog but different actors. This is going to take some thinking and research.
      Gus Van Sant's 1998 remake of Psycho was shot-for-shot, so I would only assume the dialog is kept 100% intact as well. Though it's generally considered to be a total failure, so it's not a great example.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Jane Eyre - fine adaptation, very well acted, great story. But it seems that every 10 years or so there is either a TV or movie remake. There isn't that much difference between this version and the 1996 version with Charlotte Gainsbourgh and William Hurt. I do wonder about the point of remaking a movie that has a very good recent adaptation.

Bridesmaids - actually found it very funny, with lots of sympathetic characters. Same family of humour as The Hangover etc ... and it works well. I'm going to go out on a limb here (not), and predict that there will be a Bridesmaids 2 within 12 months, and that it will be terrible ... although it can't be as bad as The Hangover 2.

Comment

• saw a very good movie called The Bang Bang Club this weekend. True story of four combat photographers in early 1990s South Africa. Good acting, lots of action, and the story is excellent.

Comment

• Saw Everything Must Go with Will Ferrell the other night. Not really his typical movie, which I think is a good thing, and was really good. A rather depressing but positive movie about a guy you loses his job and wife on the same day.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              Saw Everything Must Go with Will Ferrell the other night. Not really his typical movie, which I think is a good thing, and was really good. A rather depressing but positive movie about a guy you loses his job and wife on the same day.
              Did he then join the army with a buddy, met a bunch of hilarious bunkmates and hijinks ensued?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Did he then join the army with a buddy, met a bunch of hilarious bunkmates and hijinks ensued?
                No, more about acceptance and making the best of things.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Saw Everything Must Go with Will Ferrell the other night. Not really his typical movie, which I think is a good thing, and was really good. A rather depressing but positive movie about a guy you loses his job and wife on the same day.
                  I happened to turn on Stranger than Fiction (about 20 minutes into the story) a few nights ago and I thought that was a pretty good movie. It was about an IRS agent (played by Farrel) that happens to have his life being written by a tragic novelist (as he hears a voice narrating his life).

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                    I happened to turn on Stranger than Fiction (about 20 minutes into the story) a few nights ago and I thought that was a pretty good movie. It was about an IRS agent (played by Farrel) that happens to have his life being written by a tragic novelist (as he hears a voice narrating his life).
                    Yeah, that was very good too. I think he's great in movies that aren't comedies but where he is funny. He's done great comedies but there was a point where he was doing too much and they stopped being funny.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      saw a very good movie called The Bang Bang Club this weekend. True story of four combat photographers in early 1990s South Africa. Good acting, lots of action, and the story is excellent.
                      I saw this on a plane flying back from Vancouver this summer. Very well done movie, had me drawn in completely.

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      Yeah, that was very good too. I think he's great in movies that aren't comedies but where he is funny. He's done great comedies but there was a point where he was doing too much and they stopped being funny.
                      I agree completely - I really enjoyed Stranger Than Fiction.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                        I ended up watching this with my 19 year old daughter. She loved it, I thought it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have to admit I liked The Other Guys with Ferrell and Wahlberg more than I thought I would. I like to laugh and got a few from this hokey comedy.

Being the Christmas Junkie that I am, Elf is hands down my favorite Will Ferrell movie.

Hmmm. I think I just named all of the Ferrell movies that hold any value to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          I ended up watching this with my 19 year old daughter. She loved it, I thought it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have to admit I liked The Other Guys with Ferrell and Wahlberg more than I thought I would. I like to laugh and got a few from this hokey comedy.

Being the Christmas Junkie that I am, Elf is hands down my favorite Will Ferrell movie.

Hmmm. I think I just named all of the Ferrell movies that hold any value to me.
                          Old School?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Old School?
                            Maybe the best of the bad. I wouldn't watch it again.

Comment

• Not sure that it qualified as "exceelent," but Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was actually pretty good. Not great, but miles above that horrific Planet Of The Apes remake travesty with Marky Mark.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post

I liked both of those as well. The Other Guys has Office Space/Big Lebowski-level dialogue.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X