Baseball Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    This is a great DVD and is available on Amazon for $10.99. I bought mine for $15 when it first came out in 2010 (50th anniversary). Filmed from the original TV broadcast by singer/actor and minority Pirates owner Bing Crosby. It's existence was unknown until it was found in Crosby's wine cellar almost 50 years later. TV announcers alternate each inning with broadcast legends Mel Allen and Bob Prince. Also included are post-game interviews with players including Mazeroski. Very nostalgic and fun to watch Clemente, Mantle, Maris, Berra, Mazeroski etc in actual pitch by pitch game action.
    got me curious ... great article about finding this "kinescope" recording here. A few quotes:

... Crosby was so superstitious that he refused to watch and went on holiday to Paris instead.

"I can't stay in the country. I'll jinx everybody," he told his wife, Kathryn.

However, Crosby took the precaution of hiring a company to record the game by kinescope, a precursor to the videotape, giving himself the luxury of being able to watch the game afterwards in the knowledge that his team had won.

The five-reel, 16mm film was then stored in the cool surroundings of his cellar, which doubled as a vault. It is the only known complete copy of the game ...
    Crosby's widow, Kathryn, recalled the day of the game, 13 October 1960. The couple were staying with their friends, Charles and Nonie de Limur, in Paris and Crosby followed the action via a radio broadcast.

"We were in this beautiful apartment, listening on shortwave, and when it got close Bing opened a bottle of Scotch and was tapping it against the mantel," she told the New York Times. "When Mazeroski hit the home run, he tapped it hard; the Scotch flew into the fireplace and started a conflagration ...
    classic stuff!
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Seems like this should have been a popular thread but no one's posted in 9 years.

Here's one: the MLB record for HRs in 1 game is of course 4, done 18 times, done last by J.D. Martinez in 2017. What is the NCAA record for HRs in 1 game? And who did it?

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
        Seems like this should have been a popular thread but no one's posted in 9 years.

Here's one: the MLB record for HRs in 1 game is of course 4, done 18 times, done last by J.D. Martinez in 2017. What is the NCAA record for HRs in 1 game? And who did it?
        Dunno, Shawn Green? It’s probably someone we wouldn’t expect - like a Mario Mendoza.

Comment

Wasn't it 5 or maybe 6 HR but damn if I can recall who is the player. I think it was late 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
            Wasn't it 5 or maybe 6 HR but damn if I can recall who is the player. I think it was late 90s.
            Very good! It is 6 and it was in the '90s (1999). And Sharky was right in that it's someone you wouldnt expect but he did appear in MLB. I'll give the answer since probably noone will get the answer unless you happened to attend his school at the time or follow the school's baseball team closely. His name is Marshall McDougal. He did it in 1999 playing for Florida State facing my Maryland Terrapins in College Park where I've attended many a game. I didnt find this out until today during a Terps broadcast. McDougal had a total of 18 ABs in MLB (for Texas in 2005) and he did not hit a HR.

Comment

Very good! It is 6 and it was in the '90s (1999). And Sharky was right in that it's someone you wouldnt expect but he did appear in MLB. I'll give the answer since probably noone will get the answer unless you happened to attend his school at the time or follow the school's baseball team closely. His name is Marshall McDougal. He did it in 1999 playing for Florida State facing my Maryland Terrapins in College Park where I've attended many a game. I didnt find this out until today during a Terps broadcast. McDougal had a total of 18 ABs in MLB (for Texas in 2005) and he did not hit a HR.

I remember the name and remember this happening but I would not have recalled it off hand without looking it up

Comment

I think I was watching sportscenter when McDougal did this. That quite a feat.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                  I think I was watching sportscenter when McDougal did this. That quite a feat.
                  McDougal actually had 7 hits that day. The 1st was a single so the 6 HRs were all consecutive. The final score was FSU 26, MD 2.

Comment

My kid asked me what the record was for most runs scored in any mlb game (for a team). Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      My kid asked me what the record was for most runs scored in any mlb game (for a team). Anyone know?
                      I remember a 26-24(?) game between the Cubs & Phillies when I was a kid. 1979 maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                        I didnt know but Google did. It is 36, scored by the Chicago Colts (Cubs) against Louisville (yes, they had a MLB team in the old NL) in 1897. The modern record (since 1900) is 30, which I should have known since I watched the game. Texas scored 30 runs against my O's in 2007. In that game, the O's actually led 3-0 early on before Texas scored 30 unanswered runs. IIRC, several O's position players pitched.

Comment

I didnt know but Google did. It is 36, scored by the Chicago Colts (Cubs) against Louisville (yes, they had a MLB team in the old NL) in 1897. The modern record (since 1900) is 30, which I should have known since I watched the game. Texas scored 30 runs against my O's in 2007. In that game, the O's actually led 3-0 early on before Texas scored 30 unanswered runs. IIRC, several O's position players pitched.
                          Dang I was going to post that Rangers-Os game, I watched that too. Wes Littleton got a save in that 30-3 game amazingly.

Nelson Cruz played in that game - only active player left.

Comment

Which little leaguer is setting hit by pitch records by being hit in 3 consecutive games, and then following it up by somehow getting hit by a pitch in the batting cage (which I have never heard of before)?

Answer: my third grader, a regular Don Baylor.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                              Which little leaguer is setting hit by pitch records by being hit in 3 consecutive games, and then following it up by somehow getting hit by a pitch in the batting cage (which I have never heard of before)?

Answer: my third grader, a regular Don Baylor.
                              Respect--your kid is tough. One underhanded light toss hit my 6 year old ended his baseball career. He got lightly plunked in the chest in his first game and proceeded to swing late and two steps out of the batters box with his eyes closed the rest of the season, and all the equipment now waits for his little brother to try it out.

Comment

so I was driving across the country the past couple of weeks & brought along a few classic ball game radio broadcasts (link here) - a comment in one world series game (paraphrasing) - "this is the second game in a row that they've pitched three 20 game winners from that same season ... wonder if that has ever happened before" . Should be pretty obvious who it was, I just found it interesting.
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X