Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Baseball Trivia

  1. #1
    All Star Stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Currently DFW
    Posts
    6,132

    Baseball Trivia

    I heard this one today and found it rather interesting.

    Who is the all time record holder for most career plate appearances without being hit by a pitch (3664)?

    Highlight below for the answer:
    Mark Lemke

    I love random stats like this. During spring training we hear all sorts of random trivia so post your's here.

  2. #2
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    24,561
    RJ Trivia:
    do you know we have a Spoiler button? Answer below.

    Spoiler!

  3. #3
    All Star Stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Currently DFW
    Posts
    6,132
    I DON'T CARE! Your work is crap! You just list a ton of players and get lucky! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    or...

    Good to know. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    24,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I DON'T CARE! Your work is crap! You just list a ton of players and get lucky! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    or...

    Good to know. Thanks.

  5. #5
    All Star TranaGreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The County
    Posts
    5,261
    so this isn't trivia exactly, but it is interesting; in today's Blue Jays-Yankees game there was a put-out which is not at all common. On the scoresheet it read as 3-5-3. I wonder if that has ever happened in a regular season game.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    3,172
    Took me a couple minutes to find the answers to the questions above.

    Here's one: What pitcher holds the record for most strikeouts in an MLB game? Highlight below to see answer. (hint: it's not Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood or Randy Johnson)

    Tom Cheney, Washington Senators - 21 Ks in a 16 inn game in 1962

  7. #7
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    3,172
    Quote Originally Posted by TranaGreg View Post
    so this isn't trivia exactly, but it is interesting; in today's Blue Jays-Yankees game there was a put-out which is not at all common. On the scoresheet it read as 3-5-3. I wonder if that has ever happened in a regular season game.
    There was a play in the 7th game of the 1960 WS that I havent seen before or since. Runner on 1B (who happenned to be Mickey Mantle) w less than 2 outs. Batter at plate hits a fair ground ball and is out at 1B by fielder tagging the bag, yet runner on first remains on first. Can you guess how that happenned?

    BTW, if you've never seen the 7th game of the 1960 WS it's exciting to watch. They showed it on MLB channel and I imagine its available for purchase somewhere and may even be on YT.

  8. #8
    Triple-A
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    There was a play in the 7th game of the 1960 WS that I havent seen before or since. Runner on 1B (who happenned to be Mickey Mantle) w less than 2 outs. Batter at plate hits a fair ground ball and is out at 1B by fielder tagging the bag, yet runner on first remains on first. Can you guess how that happenned?

    BTW, if you've never seen the 7th game of the 1960 WS it's exciting to watch. They showed it on MLB channel and I imagine its available for purchase somewhere and may even be on YT.
    did the batted ball hit the baserunner?

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,813
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    There was a play in the 7th game of the 1960 WS that I havent seen before or since. Runner on 1B (who happenned to be Mickey Mantle) w less than 2 outs. Batter at plate hits a fair ground ball and is out at 1B by fielder tagging the bag, yet runner on first remains on first. Can you guess how that happenned?

    BTW, if you've never seen the 7th game of the 1960 WS it's exciting to watch. They showed it on MLB channel and I imagine its available for purchase somewhere and may even be on YT.
    R1 takes off for 2B, F3 fields the ball and steps on 1B for the force, throws it to 2B in a rundown, R1 retreats to 1B and ball is thrown away or R1 just beats the throw.

    Also, if F3 steps on 1B before tagging R1, R1 does not have to advance. The proper sequence is to tag the runner, then step on 1B.

    Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

    The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    3,172
    Quote Originally Posted by virgonomic View Post
    R1 takes off for 2B, F3 fields the ball and steps on 1B for the force, throws it to 2B in a rundown, R1 retreats to 1B and ball is thrown away or R1 just beats the throw.

    Also, if F3 steps on 1B before tagging R1, R1 does not have to advance. The proper sequence is to tag the runner, then step on 1B.
    Pretty good guess. The ball was a line drive that hit rt before the 1Bman could catch it, so he fielded it off the dirt. Mantle thought that he caught the ball so he went back to 1B. The 1Bman's momentum took him away from 1B, so he had to reverse his momentum in order to get back to first to tag out Mantle (wasnt forced because the ball wasnt caught on the fly). But because Mantle was retreating to 1B anyway, he made it back before he got tagged. Never seen a play like that before. BTW, when I first saw it I also thought the ball was caught, and wondered why the 1Bman didnt just tag the bag instead of trying to tag Mantle. It happened so fast that I had to wait for the broadcaster's explanation to find out what happened.

    Reminds me of the unassisted triple play I saw in person at CitiField. Happened so fast that I didnt know what happened; same thing for some other fans who just looked around at each other. The triple play ended the game so the players ran off of the field, but I couldnt immediately remember whether there had been 1 out or no outs. I didnt remember an out being made, so I figured it was a triple play, but listened to the post-game on the radio for confirmation. On the play, IIRC, the SS caught a line drive moving towards 2B, stepped on 2nd for the force the runner that was on 2B and tagged the runner from 1B coming down the line, who must have been running on the play. It all happened in about 2 secs.
    Last edited by rhd; 03-01-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •