Baseball Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Trivia

I heard this one today and found it rather interesting.

Who is the all time record holder for most career plate appearances without being hit by a pitch (3664)?

Highlight below for the answer:
    Mark Lemke

I love random stats like this. During spring training we hear all sorts of random trivia so post your's here.

RJ Trivia:
    do you know we have a Spoiler button? Answer below.

Spoiler!

Comment

I DON'T CARE! Your work is crap! You just list a ton of players and get lucky! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

or...

Good to know. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        I DON'T CARE! Your work is crap! You just list a ton of players and get lucky! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

or...

Good to know. Thanks.

Comment

so this isn't trivia exactly, but it is interesting; in today's Blue Jays-Yankees game there was a put-out which is not at all common. On the scoresheet it read as 3-5-3. I wonder if that has ever happened in a regular season game.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Took me a couple minutes to find the answers to the questions above.

Here's one: What pitcher holds the record for most strikeouts in an MLB game? Highlight below to see answer. (hint: it's not Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood or Randy Johnson)

Tom Cheney, Washington Senators - 21 Ks in a 16 inn game in 1962

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              so this isn't trivia exactly, but it is interesting; in today's Blue Jays-Yankees game there was a put-out which is not at all common. On the scoresheet it read as 3-5-3. I wonder if that has ever happened in a regular season game.
              There was a play in the 7th game of the 1960 WS that I havent seen before or since. Runner on 1B (who happenned to be Mickey Mantle) w less than 2 outs. Batter at plate hits a fair ground ball and is out at 1B by fielder tagging the bag, yet runner on first remains on first. Can you guess how that happenned?

BTW, if you've never seen the 7th game of the 1960 WS it's exciting to watch. They showed it on MLB channel and I imagine its available for purchase somewhere and may even be on YT.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                There was a play in the 7th game of the 1960 WS that I havent seen before or since. Runner on 1B (who happenned to be Mickey Mantle) w less than 2 outs. Batter at plate hits a fair ground ball and is out at 1B by fielder tagging the bag, yet runner on first remains on first. Can you guess how that happenned?

BTW, if you've never seen the 7th game of the 1960 WS it's exciting to watch. They showed it on MLB channel and I imagine its available for purchase somewhere and may even be on YT.
                did the batted ball hit the baserunner?

Comment

R1 takes off for 2B, F3 fields the ball and steps on 1B for the force, throws it to 2B in a rundown, R1 retreats to 1B and ball is thrown away or R1 just beats the throw.

Also, if F3 steps on 1B before tagging R1, R1 does not have to advance. The proper sequence is to tag the runner, then step on 1B.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                    R1 takes off for 2B, F3 fields the ball and steps on 1B for the force, throws it to 2B in a rundown, R1 retreats to 1B and ball is thrown away or R1 just beats the throw.

Also, if F3 steps on 1B before tagging R1, R1 does not have to advance. The proper sequence is to tag the runner, then step on 1B.
                    Pretty good guess. The ball was a line drive that hit rt before the 1Bman could catch it, so he fielded it off the dirt. Mantle thought that he caught the ball so he went back to 1B. The 1Bman's momentum took him away from 1B, so he had to reverse his momentum in order to get back to first to tag out Mantle (wasnt forced because the ball wasnt caught on the fly). But because Mantle was retreating to 1B anyway, he made it back before he got tagged. Never seen a play like that before. BTW, when I first saw it I also thought the ball was caught, and wondered why the 1Bman didnt just tag the bag instead of trying to tag Mantle. It happened so fast that I had to wait for the broadcaster's explanation to find out what happened.

Reminds me of the unassisted triple play I saw in person at CitiField. Happened so fast that I didnt know what happened; same thing for some other fans who just looked around at each other. The triple play ended the game so the players ran off of the field, but I couldnt immediately remember whether there had been 1 out or no outs. I didnt remember an out being made, so I figured it was a triple play, but listened to the post-game on the radio for confirmation. On the play, IIRC, the SS caught a line drive moving towards 2B, stepped on 2nd for the force the runner that was on 2B and tagged the runner from 1B coming down the line, who must have been running on the play. It all happened in about 2 secs.
                    Last edited by rhd; 03-01-2013, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      i would think 3-5-3, 3-4-3, and 3-6-3 are not that uncommon. ground ball to first base, with runners on first and second, or just first (for the latter two). first baseman throws to either third or second. whether it's a double play or not, if the runner is out at first, there is a 3-x-3 involved (either as the double play or as the putout at first).
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                        i would think 3-5-3, 3-4-3, and 3-6-3 are not that uncommon. ground ball to first base, with runners on first and second, or just first (for the latter two). first baseman throws to either third or second. whether it's a double play or not, if the runner is out at first, there is a 3-x-3 involved (either as the double play or as the putout at first).
                        true enough, the obvious hadn't occurred to me. In this case they had an exaggerated shift on - Lawrie had moved over to play RF rover; the ball deflected off Lind at 1B, recovered by Lawrie who then threw the batter out.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                          While 3-4-3 or 3-6-3 seems to happen the 3-5-3 I can't remember seeing. The runner on 2nd would be forced to run meaning runners on 1st & 2nd, like you said. But usually the 1b takes the shorter throw to get the 3-6-3 or 3-4-3 instead of throwing across the diamond to 3rd base and then getting the throw back. I would think the long throws would preclude any double play. Unless I was running in which case it could be 3-5-7-9-8-2-1-3 and I would still be out at first.

Definitely weird the way Greg describes the play actually happened.

Comment

So I'm going to see San Fran against the Jays tomorrow night - not often that the Giants come to Toronto so am looking forward to seeing Posey & the gang.

thought this bit of trivia might be interesting to some:

Originally posted by wikipedia
                            In January 1976, San Francisco Giants owner Horace Stoneham agreed to sell the team for $13.25 million to a Toronto group consisting of Labatt Breweries of Canada, Ltd., Vulcan Assets Ltd., and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), which was led by Don McDougall. The team would have began play in the 1976 season at Exhibition Stadium, and be called the Toronto Giants.[2] However the plan to move the Giants was quashed by a U.S. court.[3] Following the court ruling, Bob Lurie purchased the Giants and kept them in San Francisco.

Comment

This is a great DVD and is available on Amazon for $10.99. I bought mine for $15 when it first came out in 2010 (50th anniversary). Filmed from the original TV broadcast by singer/actor and minority Pirates owner Bing Crosby. It's existence was unknown until it was found in Crosby's wine cellar almost 50 years later. TV announcers alternate each inning with broadcast legends Mel Allen and Bob Prince. Also included are post-game interviews with players including Mazeroski. Very nostalgic and fun to watch Clemente, Mantle, Maris, Berra, Mazeroski etc in actual pitch by pitch game action.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X