Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Trivia

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    Very good! It is 6 and it was in the '90s (1999). And Sharky was right in that it's someone you wouldnt expect but he did appear in MLB. I'll give the answer since probably noone will get the answer unless you happened to attend his school at the time or follow the school's baseball team closely. His name is Marshall McDougal. He did it in 1999 playing for Florida State facing my Maryland Terrapins in College Park where I've attended many a game. I didnt find this out until today during a Terps broadcast. McDougal had a total of 18 ABs in MLB (for Texas in 2005) and he did not hit a HR.

I remember the name and remember this happening but I would not have recalled it off hand without looking it up

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid pitbull's Avatar
    Very good! It is 6 and it was in the '90s (1999). And Sharky was right in that it's someone you wouldnt expect but he did appear in MLB. I'll give the answer since probably noone will get the answer unless you happened to attend his school at the time or follow the school's baseball team closely. His name is Marshall McDougal. He did it in 1999 playing for Florida State facing my Maryland Terrapins in College Park where I've attended many a game. I didnt find this out until today during a Terps broadcast. McDougal had a total of 18 ABs in MLB (for Texas in 2005) and he did not hit a HR.
    I think I was watching sportscenter when McDougal did this. That quite a feat.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
    I think I was watching sportscenter when McDougal did this. That quite a feat.
    McDougal actually had 7 hits that day. The 1st was a single so the 6 HRs were all consecutive. The final score was FSU 26, MD 2.

My kid asked me what the record was for most runs scored in any mlb game (for a team). Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    My kid asked me what the record was for most runs scored in any mlb game (for a team). Anyone know?
    I remember a 26-24(?) game between the Cubs & Phillies when I was a kid. 1979 maybe?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I didnt know but Google did. It is 36, scored by the Chicago Colts (Cubs) against Louisville (yes, they had a MLB team in the old NL) in 1897. The modern record (since 1900) is 30, which I should have known since I watched the game. Texas scored 30 runs against my O's in 2007. In that game, the O's actually led 3-0 early on before Texas scored 30 unanswered runs. IIRC, several O's position players pitched.

I didnt know but Google did. It is 36, scored by the Chicago Colts (Cubs) against Louisville (yes, they had a MLB team in the old NL) in 1897. The modern record (since 1900) is 30, which I should have known since I watched the game. Texas scored 30 runs against my O's in 2007. In that game, the O's actually led 3-0 early on before Texas scored 30 unanswered runs. IIRC, several O's position players pitched.
    Dang I was going to post that Rangers-Os game, I watched that too. Wes Littleton got a save in that 30-3 game amazingly.

Nelson Cruz played in that game - only active player left.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Which little leaguer is setting hit by pitch records by being hit in 3 consecutive games, and then following it up by somehow getting hit by a pitch in the batting cage (which I have never heard of before)?

Answer: my third grader, a regular Don Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by umjewman View Post
    Which little leaguer is setting hit by pitch records by being hit in 3 consecutive games, and then following it up by somehow getting hit by a pitch in the batting cage (which I have never heard of before)?

Answer: my third grader, a regular Don Baylor.
    Respect--your kid is tough. One underhanded light toss hit my 6 year old ended his baseball career. He got lightly plunked in the chest in his first game and proceeded to swing late and two steps out of the batters box with his eyes closed the rest of the season, and all the equipment now waits for his little brother to try it out.

so I was driving across the country the past couple of weeks & brought along a few classic ball game radio broadcasts (link here) - a comment in one world series game (paraphrasing) - "this is the second game in a row that they've pitched three 20 game winners from that same season ... wonder if that has ever happened before" . Should be pretty obvious who it was, I just found it interesting.