Best Zeppelin song ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Zeppelin song ever?

The past few days I've been jamming Zep on full shuffle on my ipod...man they are awesome (we all know this). Anyway I was wondering if you took an unscientific poll of the single greatest Zep song of all time, which one would win? I kind of want to suspend Stairway from consideration because it's the one song every fair-weather Zep fan would pick...

My choice, and it was very difficult: Ten Years Gone

"Ten Years Gone" is a song by English rock band Led Zeppelin from their 1975 album Physical Graffiti. Originally intended to be an instrumental piece, Jimmy Page used some 14 guitar tracks to overdub the harmony section. Robert Plant later added lyrics, which are dedicated to an old girlfriend who, ten years earlier, had made him choose either her or his music. Plant explained in an interview in 1975:

Let me tell you a little story behind the song '"Ten Years Gone" on our new album. I was working my ass off before joining Zeppelin. A lady I really dearly loved said, "Right. It's me or your fans." Not that I had fans, but I said, "I can't stop, I've got to keep going." She's quite content these days, I imagine. She's got a washing machine that works by itself and a little sports- car. We wouldn't have anything to say anymore. I could probably relate to her, but she couldn't relate to me. I'd be smiling too much. Ten years gone, I'm afraid. Anyway, there's a gamble for you.[2]

Some have speculated that this song was a variation of the never-released Led Zeppelin track "Swan Song", the name they chose for their own record label.

This is one of the few Led Zeppelin songs in which it is possible to hear the squeak of John Bonham's bass drum pedal in the recording studio, the others being "Since I've Been Loving You" from 1970's Led Zeppelin III, "The Ocean" from 1973's Houses of the Holy, "Houses of the Holy" from 1975's Physical Graffiti, and "Bonzo's Montreux" from 1982's Coda.
    Should be a fun chat

Kashmir
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I couldn't name one single song ... as an aside, they have some of the best song names of any band.

Comment

I believe most people would say "Kashmir". It's hard to argue with that choice.

My choice would be 'Whole Lotta Love". THE greatest opening riff in rock music. The middle collage of theramin, moaning, wailing and stereo-panning. The short but incredible guitar solo. The outro full of Plant wailing away....and much more!

My favorite Zep tunes: (today )

1. Stairway
        2. Whole Lotta Love
        3. How Many More Times
        4. When The Levee Breaks
        5. Tea For One
        6. The Rover
        7. Communication Breakdown
        8. In My Time of Dying
        9. Heartbreaker
        10. The Lemon Song
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Depends a lot on what kind of Zep you like - do you like the tighter songs? Or the sprawling epics?

My favorites are probably Hey Hey What Can I Do, Heartbreaker, Houses of the Holy, and Good Times Bad Times, but I'm not sure I'd vote for either of them as best.

I think I would probably vote for Ten Years Gone as the best if I didn't pick one of my favorites, but damn if I wouldn't be tempted to pick Dazed and Confused.

Comment

One song goddamnit ... it was a simple question ... one song

[/threadenforcementpolice]

Comment

It really is an exercise in futility to pick only one Zep song.

Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, Stairway to Heaven, Dazed and Confused, Ramble On, When the Levee Breaks would be in the final cut for me.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

My faves:

1 - Hey Hey What Can I Do
                2 - Kashmir
                3 - All of My Love
                4 - When the Levee Breaks
                5 - Misty Mountain Hop
                6 - Living Loving Maid
                7 - Thank You
                8 - In The Evening
                9 - Heartbreaker
                10 - Ten Years Gone

Comment

It's hard to be objective since certain songs get much more airplay than others so I end up getting a little tired of them. At different points in my Zeppelin fandom my favorites have been "The Rain Song", "Heartbreaker", "Going to California", "Misty Mountain Hop", "The Ocean", and "The Lemon Song". Right now "The Lemon Song" is probably the one I enjoy listening to the most but I would hesitate to call it their best song, especially since it's basically a cover. "Kashmir" and "Stairway" are the obvious choices - and deservedly so - but I've heard them so many times that it's hard to endorse either of them.

Final answer? "Going to California" - it's just so beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    It's hard to be objective since certain songs get much more airplay than others so I end up getting a little tired of them. At different points in my Zeppelin fandom my favorites have been "The Rain Song", "Heartbreaker", "Going to California", "Misty Mountain Hop", "The Ocean", and "The Lemon Song". Right now "The Lemon Song" is probably the one I enjoy listening to the most but I would hesitate to call it their best song, especially since it's basically a cover. "Kashmir" and "Stairway" are the obvious choices - and deservedly so - but I've heard them so many times that it's hard to endorse either of them.

Final answer? "Going to California" - it's just so beautiful.
                    I know that Zeppelin "borrowed" from earlier songs, but to call them covers is so wrong. "The Lemon Song" sounds very little like the songs it borrowed from, very little. I love "Killing Floor" from Howlin' Wolf, but Zep makes the song so much more than it is. As they do with all of the songs they "ripped off".
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

One song - take a stand and pick

grape and cherry are both fine popsicle flavors - but just take one

Comment

Heye Heye What Can I Do
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

guess I'm alone with Since I've Been Lovin You.

my second choice would be ... oh wait, I'm not allowed to do that.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

In the Classic Rock draft, I wavered between Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand for my Zeppelin pick. I chose the latter.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

My favorite has always been When the Levee Breaks.

Then again, I am from New Orleans.

Comment

Working...
                              X