Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Stan Musial and Earl Weaver

RIP Stan Musial and Earl Weaver

Both Hall of Famers passed today.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid TS Garp's Avatar
    Very sad. Just read that Musial was married for almost 72 years (his wife passed away earlier this year)!

Quote Originally Posted by TS Garp View Post
    Very sad. Just read that Musial was married for almost 72 years (his wife passed away earlier this year)!
    Musial was born right across the river from where i live. The same small town that Ken Griffey and Deacon Dan Towler grew up. Right next door to Joe Montana's hometown.

Musial's wife was the aunt of a friend of mine.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Cardinals fans of the era used to root for this gentleman to win the NL batting title every year when that was far bigger a goal than today. Stan's finishes, 1st 18 years

3rd
    1st
    2nd
    WAR (not the stat, the scary one)
    1st
    5th
    1st
    2nd
    1st
    1st
    1st
    3rd
    4th
    3rd
    4th
    1st
    3rd

Started before integration, and soon competed with Banks, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, FRobinson, etc. He held up rather well, once given the privilege to actually play against his peers.

fyi, this works just as well with OPS

a full career of relentlessnesss - Frank Thomas did this more than halfway through - and is a HOFer - and Pujols may yet match this relentlessness
    Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-19-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Quote Originally Posted by TS Garp View Post
    After reading your second sentence I disagree with the first one. He was a 92-year-old beloved baseball hero - one of the greatest hitters of all time - and it seems as if he was just as blessed off the field. To me, that's about as happy a passing as I can imagine.

B-Fly, applying to attend an Irish wake!

The Irish don't get everything right - nobody does.

But celebrate the life - who does it better?

at the Stan statue:

https://twitter.com/huyMach/status/2...720449/photo/1
    Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-20-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    A couple of stories about Stan Musial as told to me by members of my family. I grew up in Monessen Pa, as did both of my maternal grandparents and my fraternal grandmother. My fraternal grandfather grew up in Donora,Pa which is the neighboring town on the other side of the river. Donora was also the hometown of Stan Musial.

My paternal grandfather's younger brother was friends with Stan Musial. And when Musial played in his final All-Star Game at Cleveland in 1963, he got tickets behind the NL dugout for my grandfather's brother and my grandfather and they made the 2.5 hour trip to Cleveland to attend the game. And not only did Musial get them tickets, but he also got each of them a baseball autographed by the entire 1963 NL All-Star team! In addition to Musial's signature on the baseball, there was Clemente, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Drysdale, Marichal, Spahn, etc. My grandfather gave the ball to his youngest child (my uncle). My uncle told me the story and showed me the baseball a few years back (before cell phone cameras) and i was completely in awe.

Not sure if Stan knew about this next story or not. I just heard it recently from my aunt and got a good laugh out of it. Just before my paternal grandparents met, my grandfather, who was older than Stan, briefly dated Musial's older sister. The story goes that my grandfather bought a bottle of perfume as a gift for Stan Musial's sister. But before he could give it to her, he met my grandmother, asked her out on a date, and gave the perfume to my grandmother instead. When Stan Musial's sister found out about this, she walked from Donora to Monessen and confronted my grandmother. Musial's sister said, "That's my perfume because he bought it for me." And my grandmother simply said, "Well he gave it to me so it's mine." It seems like Musial's sister cared more about the perfume than she did about my grandfather. So, he obviously made the right choice. This would have taken place in the mid 1930's when they were all teenagers. My grandparents ended up getting married not long after this humorous event.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    A couple of stories about Stan Musial as told to me by members of my family. I grew up in Monessen Pa, as did both of my maternal grandparents and my fraternal grandmother. My fraternal grandfather grew up in Donora,Pa which is the neighboring town on the other side of the river. Donora was also the hometown of Stan Musial.
    Donora also is the hometown of Arnold Palmer, as well as both Ken Griffeys.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    Donora also is the hometown of Arnold Palmer, as well as both Ken Griffeys.
    Arnie was born in Latrobe, PA
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Arnie was born in Latrobe, PA
    You are correct, my bad.

In looking up these towns on the map I saw that there is a "Donora Smog Museum" (!!?).