RIP Stan Musial and Earl Weaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLB.com had a related article today

Somebody get Mulder and Scully on the phone and have them check out Donora, Pennsylvania. The small town with a current population of fewer than 5,000 residents has somehow produced two of the greatest Major Leaguers in baseball history: Stan Musial and Ken Griffey Jr. Even stranger, the two were
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Horrible event I studied in college days. Can't remember the exact year - I'm thinking early 50s but might be wrong - but a smog layer got locked in by some sort of weather pattern, and the smog had a significant amount of free fluorine. Fluorine is nasty, nasty stuff. I mean, they use it to etch glass. Imagine what inhaling it would do to your lungs.
      R.jpg

The smog museum
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        The Donora Smog event is often credited with initiating the clean-air movement in the United States and the passing of the Clean Air Act of 1963.
        I believe that it was also the impetus for the movie "Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster"!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          I believe that it was also the impetus for the movie "Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster"!
          They need a Godzilla movie poster in the Smog Museum.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
          X