Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Football In Memoriam thread

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Parys Haralson, a linebacker/defensive end for the 49ers and Saints from 2006 to 2014, died in his sleep at just age 37. RIP.

Legendary Vikings LB and Hall of Famer Mick Tingelhoff died at age 81. RIP.
    Center, Tingelhoff he was a center...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Hornsby View Post
    I was just coming here to correct it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornsby View Post
    240 consecutive starts as a center. That has always amazed me.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Pro Bowl Broncos RB Otis Armstrong died at age 70 on October 13. RIP.

Freddie Joe Nunn, formerly the all-time sack leader for the Cards until this afternoon, died on October 16 at age 59. RIP.

Journeyman
    Tom Matte, long-time running back for the Baltimore Colts, died on 11/2/21 at age 82. Among other things, he is remembered for filling in at QB for the injured Johnny Unitas and backup Gary Cuozzo during an NFL playoff game in 1965 against Green Bay, which GB won in overtime, 13-10, after a disputed GB FG tied the game in regulation. Matte also surprisingly holds the record for most yards per rushing attempt in a Super Bowl game, 10.5. The Colts also lost that game, 16-7 to the Joe Namath-led NJ Jets. He was still a member of the Colts when they won the Super Bowl 2 years later against the Cowboys in the 1st ever Super Bowl after the NFL/AFL merger. He made a Pro Bowl in 1968. Matte became a sportscaster after retirement and was one of the original Ravens color analysts for their radio broadcasts. He is remember very fondly in the Baltimore area for his friendly, outgoing personality, as well as for his football achievements. RIP.

Journeyman
    Dick Szymanski, long-time center for the Baltimore Colts of the late '50s and '60s, died on 10/28/21 at age 89. RIP.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Sam Huff, HOF linebacker for the Giants and Redskins and later on a football broadcaster for Washington, died Saturday at age 87. RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 11-27-2021 at 10:31 PM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    Sam Huff, HOF linebacker for the Giants and Redskins and later on a football broadcaster for Washington, died Saturday at age 87. RIP.

One of our local TV stations had Jerry Kramer on, and Sam Huff stories came out. I'm hoping they post the TV show video, but it's not up yet. My favorite:

The 1962 title game between the Packers and the Giants was a game all expected to be savage, nasty, and dirty. The Giants were bitter about being clubbed in the 1961 title game, and they were at home. Extremely windy and cold, the game lived up to the brutal defensive battle it was expected to be. Jim Taylor had 31 carries, and accused Huff of kneeing him in the balls twice while he was down. Taylor countered by biting a player so hard he drew blood since he thought it was Huff; it actually was Dick Modzelewski. The only humorous moment happened when Taylor ran a trap play and tried to use the umpire as a screen; Huff tackled both of them. Jerry Kramer came out and helped Huff up - though helping opposing players up was expressly forbidden by Lombardi. Lombardi went pretty berserk on the sidelines after the series, and finally asked Kramer why he helped Huff up. Kramer's response: "That SOB umpire called me for holding three plays earlier. I'll help Huff up every time he knocks him down."

The other funny one was hearing the description of what Sam Huff would do in a fumble pileup.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Curley Culp, HOF nose tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Oilers has died at age 75. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein