An Intro to Vintage Drafting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decades:

When using the decades draft format, we draft 1 hitter and 1 pitcher from each decade from the 1870's to the 2010's. The Best Year of the player will determine which decade he is assigned. Some players can qualify in 3 decades.

There are a couple of nuances:

1. The 1870's and 1880's are combined for pitching.
    2. Because there are less pitchers drafted, there will be some spare decades that can be left undrafted.
    3. In order to make sure that all the hitting decades are used, another Util slot is added to the normal lineup.

The more difficult decades for hitting and pitching are:

QUIZY Hitting decades: 1870, 1900, 1910, 1940, 1950's, 2010's (every hitting decade must be selected)
    QUIZY Pitching Decades: 1890, 1920, 1930, 1940, 1950, 2010's (usually you will have to pick 4 from these)

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
      I was going with debatable rather than inquisitive.
      Does that mean it's debatable if I'm debatable or inquisitive?
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

'
        Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Also, we need to have a debate about maybe cutting off the modern hitter period for the next VD ... now that it's clear some semblance of normality has returned to the stats. 2009 would seem like a good date, meaning that: any player who played in any year from 1999 to 2008 (inclusive) will be classed as a Modern/Contemporary hitter. Anyone who's career finished before 1999, or after 2008 would be classed as "normal". Thoughts?

Would also like to discuss getting rid of the Contemporary Pitcher category, which makes no sense to me ... closers only really benefit 2 out of the 10 pitching categories, and with the team IP minimum, it's not like you can load up on them anyway ... and most of the SP's got hammered during the 90's and 00's ... so why we limit these players I have no idea.
        Have we ever done any of these suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
          '

Have we ever done any of these suggestions
          Nope.

Still think the Contemporary Pitcher category is pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Nope.

Still think the Contemporary Pitcher category is pointless.
            Well you are the Current head of Vd

Put it out there before we start and see if any objection - no poll - just a statement - lets do this with the pitchers and this with the hitters - Any objection....

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
              Well you are the Current head of Vd

Put it out there before we start and see if any objection - no poll - just a statement - lets do this with the pitchers and this with the hitters - Any objection....
              By head I think you mean dogsbody

I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Bump ...

Comment

This recent draft was a letters draft. http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...aft-Thread-***

This is probably obvious but a “letters draft” means you must select players based on the first letter of their last name. Some letters (QUIZY OVEN) are particularly bad letters with few palatable players. A good strategy is to pick the best players at those letters very early on. If you wait too long, you will be eating a shit sandwich of terrible-ness later on and it can torpedo your team.

That letters draft did not include franchises so there is an additional layer of complexity at play in this draft. Feel free to ask specific questions and we’ll be happy to help.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                  X