Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 former MiLB affiliates file antitrust suit file against MLB for "contracting" minor league affiliates:

Several things in this article that I dont remember knowing before. It says that the SCOTUS seemingly wants to do away w the exemption but has been fearful of the consequences of the potential issue of "retroactive liability", which I wasnt aware before either. Supposedly, retroactive liability would not be an issue if Congress removed the exemption. There also was a "task force" formed in Congress, headed by Lori Trahan (D-Mass), who I'd never heard of, that was seeking to remove the exemption but then the pandemic hit and then Congress had bigger fish to fry.

Anyway, it will interesting to see if anything significant becomes of this. I think it unlikely, but I can still dream.
    Last edited by rhd; 01-11-2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
      Anti-trust suit file against MLB for "contracting" minor league affiliates:

https://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/show...525#post417525
      this link leads to TranaGreg's question about Jackie Chan being a ballboy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Sorry. Link fixed, now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Hey, it was a legitimate question.

... tho I might have been drinking at the time ...
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• This was a fun little read this morning:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• From RW:

According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays' plan to split their seasons between Tampa Bay and Montreal "has been killed by Major League Baseball officials."

I wondered what would become of this. There have been other teams in different sports that have tried the 2-city idea and it always ended up w the team going to the city where there was more support, leaving the other city frustrated and feeling betrayed. I dont know what the status of a new stadium is in Montreal and I thought the Rays playing a lot of games there might spur some more action re: this. The RW blurb says that the Rays now will focus on building a permanent home in the Tampa area. I guess that means a stadium on the Tampa side of the bay.

Comment

• This is very fascinating:

I'd never heard of him. Someone should make a movie about him.

He also is enshrined in the "Baseball Reliquary Shrine of the Eternals", which I'd never heard of before. Pete Rose and Joe Jackson are among its 66 or so members.
                Last edited by rhd; 01-29-2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

This is very fascinating:

I'd never heard of him. Someone should make a movie about him.

He also is enshrined in the "Baseball Reliquary Shrine of the Eternals", which I'd never heard of before. Pete Rose and Joe Jackson are among its 66 or so members.
                  As a teenager I was fortunate enough to see Eddie Feigner pitch a game in my hometown of Monessen, PA back in the early 80's. A high school friend of mine didn't want to go because he thought it sounded stupid. I didn't want to go by myself, so I offered to pay for his ticket and told him there would probably be lots of girls there (ha-ha), and he reluctantly agreed to go. It was money well spent.

Feigner was in his late 50's at that time, but he still mowed down our local all-star softball team. He performed all of his regular tricks like pitching blind-folded, pitching behind his back and between his legs. He also threw a few pitches from second base. In the few times that a batter made contact against him, it was always a popup to the infield or shallow outfield that his speedy shortstop and first baseman could run down. I wish now that i would have had a camera with me. Unfortunately, i don't have any souvenirs from that game, just some good memories.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Here's Eddie Feigner pitching against MLB players in 1967:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Dont know of an appropriate thread to put this in so I'm putting it here. I think I just found the new winner of the most interesting team name for a baseball franchise: the Kentucky Wild Health Genomes (I dont know what it means either) of the Atlantic League, beating out the "Binghamton Rumble Ponies", "Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp", and "Rocket City Trash Pandas".

Comment

Dont know of an appropriate thread to put this in so I'm putting it here. I think I just found the new winner of the most interesting team name for a baseball franchise: the Kentucky Wild Health Genomes (I dont know what it means either) of the Atlantic League, beating out the "Binghamton Rumble Ponies", "Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp", and "Rocket City Trash Pandas".
                        Here's the story behind the team and the name:

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          Here's the story behind the team and the name:

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/article258178118.html
                          That link required me to either subscribe or to allow ads in order to view, neither of which I want to do. Here's another site containing a video that briefly explains it.

They mention that the team also has hired the first female coach in the Atlantic League.

Comment

That link required me to either subscribe or to allow ads in order to view, neither of which I want to do. Here's another site containing a video that briefly explains it.
                            There aren't any obvious ads that would distract the reading of this.

Comment

• This isn't really baseball related, but I thought it was a very fun article.

---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• First female to make a Division 1 College baseball roster:

https://www.mlb.com/news/olivia-pichardo-first-female-on-ncaa-division-i-baseball-roster

She is a pitcher/infielder. She throws 82 mph and is right-handed. The article says that there have been 16 females on college baseball rosters before but this is the 1st one at a Div. 1 school.

Comment

Working...
                                X