Batters vs. The Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    What Verducci was specifically looking at was the effect of the shift on hard-hit groundballs. He also concludes that, in order to beat the shifts, batters were purposely trying to loft the ball more over the defensive infield alignments, so he believes that batters will correct and hit more groundballs again. Seems plausible.
    The MLB-wide BA answer is likely closer to Bill James estimate than Verducci's. But there are players who will majorly benefit, and they could see increases not unlike the four players I listed before.
    Yeah, I definitely agree it will affect some individual batters in significant ways. I just don't think it's going to provide a major boost (10+ points) to overall league batting average. I'd expect something more like 2-5 points, which could be lost in the noise from other year-to-year changes which can move the league batting average up or down by a few points, too (mostly down, lately, but theoretically could move it up).
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
    X