2K23: Yasmani Grandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K23: Yasmani Grandal

Grandal has been one of the more reliable catchers over the last decade, but he's experienced injuries the last 2 seasons and in '22 had the worst season of his career by far. His HR% and BB% rates plummeted, his GB% increased and HardHit% plunged to a career low.

He's now going as C20, which makes him an option only in 2-catcher leagues, but that seems like a big underpay here.

So, is he cooked or is he a big value play?

he's called out in a new article today by Stephen Nickrand at BaseballHQ as someone with upside whose batting average should be better than it is based on the frequency of his contact. His current market price, like Gary Sanchez, is almost begging to be rostered especially with the late age catcher deadcat bounce that happens

Comment

Yeah, I mean Logan O'Hoppe is being drafted over him, and O'Hoppe has just 14 MLB ABs.

As late as the '20 pre-season, Grandal was C2 and Sanchez C3, wow.

Comment

I don't think he's cooked but he was really banged up last year and didn't produce when he WAS on the field. Still think he can be a double-digit $ guy in '23 but I wouldn't pay for it.

He had a xwOBA of .412 in 2021 and I just think he was hurt all year. There was no juice in his bat in '22. MJ has a good point about the dead cat bounce, too.
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
          I don't think he's cooked but he was really banged up last year and didn't produce when he WAS on the field. Still think he can be a double-digit $ guy in '23 but I wouldn't pay for it.

He had a xwOBA of .412 in 2021 and I just think he was hurt all year. There was no juice in his bat in '22. MJ has a good point about the dead cat bounce, too.
          He tried to play through a back injury (bulging discs). He has been working out like a fiend (according to him). He is also excited about the shift ban.

Varsho and Perez are the only two catchers back in the auction ahead of him. I would like him to come out before those two at auction. I would take a chance, just not sure how much. This thread is helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X