Early Keeper Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Keeper Thoughts

Roughly the first of February we will declare keepers for our 16-team keeper league. I am 2x defending champion and want a first-ever hat trick.

I have some decisions to make but first the easy ones.

1B Tellez
    2B Gimenez
    3B Wander
    SS Adames
    MI Gunnar
    CI -
    OF Acuna
    OF Robert
    OF Mullins
    OF -
    Util -

SP Cole
    SP Cease
    SP Sandoval
    SP
    RP Bautista
    RP x 2
    P DL Hall
    P x 2

I have three candidates for the last keeper slot--

Liam Hendriks, Zack Wheeler, or Brandon Woodruff. Pick one.

I have rights to Elly de la Cruz. Due to some rules arcana I can essentially buy an extra option year by taking on an active player who was acquired off waivers.

Choose either Brandon Marsh or Oswaldo Cabrera.

For a deep 16-team league, how does it look?
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

I lean towards keeping Woodruff and probably choosing Marsh to allow you to get Elly. Cabrera is interesting, but will he get the PT?

The starting pitching is very strong, and you have a decent start on SB. Ideally you would acquire some additional power early to balance out your offense.
    Last edited by ThatRogue; 01-14-2023, 11:22 AM.
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
      I lean towards keeping Woodruff and probably choosing Marsh to allow you to get Elly. Cabrera is interesting, but will he get the PT?

The starting pitching is very strong, and you have a decent start on SB. Ideally you would acquire some additional power early to balance out your offense.
      Thanks for the reply. I miss the days when I could trot Paul Goldschmidt out.

No one with an ADP below 100 will be available to me. I only get three players in the 125-200 range and then a really long wait, say #325-ish.

Last year CJ Cron was who I picked in the top slot, so someone of his pedigree ought to be there. I also need a second, preferably better, closer.
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I haven’t even begun to look at ADPs yet, so take my specific player suggestions with a grain (or heaping pile) of salt. Perhaps you can take target some power risks, like a bounce back gamble on Haniger, Bellinger and/or Conforto? Or potential PT upside guys later like Yepez or Meneses?
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
          I haven’t even begun to look at ADPs yet, so take my specific player suggestions with a grain (or heaping pile) of salt. Perhaps you can take target some power risks, like a bounce back gamble on Haniger, Bellinger and/or Conforto? Or potential PT upside guys later like Yepez or Meneses?
          I will also be looking but we have to declare keepers to know who will be available. That's where we are now. The draft won't start until early February.

I have down for keeping Woodruff and Marsh and look to increase power in the draft. Thanks.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Woodruff for me. Wheeler is great but more of an injury risk than Woodruff who was lights out 2H. Then I still have hopes for Marsh and he should have a decent leash in CF this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
              Woodruff for me. Wheeler is great but more of an injury risk than Woodruff who was lights out 2H. Then I still have hopes for Marsh and he should have a decent leash in CF this year.
              The nice thing about taking Marsh there is that his option is close to his ADP. It's not a move I would make without another reason but I'm not making a big sacrifice and I might get lucky.

The attractive aspect of Cabrera is that he's potentially multi-position. If he's OF only he loses interest.
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I like Wheeler with the improved defense in Philly. I'm not crazy about Milwaukee as a whole this year, which impacts Woodruff who already has bad luck with run support/wins

Comment

Our platform is up. Huzzah!

We are dropping W and L in favor of QS and K/BB. In light of that, I am leaning toward Jason's points on Wheeler.

We have to finalize the keepers in the next week or so and, as champion, I have to finalize my list first.

Are there any further thoughts?
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

We are dropping W and L in favor of QS and K/BB. In light of that, I am leaning toward Jason's points on Wheeler.

We have to finalize the keepers in the next week or so and, as champion, I have to finalize my list first.

To clarify, your rule changes push more towards Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      To clarify, your rule changes push more towards Woodruff
                      Why?

Last season Wheeler had a small edge in K/BB and QS/GS and he projects to have a small edge in K/BB again. If it's W or L, Woodruff was better in 2022.
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see where you mentioned what categories your league uses. An important bit of info for you and others to consider if you are looking for input. From what I guessed your league settings are Woodruff and Wheeler are about the same value. The smart move is to offer them both for trades for draft picks/future value and keep whichever guy you don't trade. If you don't trade one of them, flip a coinl
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see where you mentioned what categories your league uses. An important bit of info for you and others to consider if you are looking for input. From what I guessed your league settings are Woodruff and Wheeler are about the same value. The smart move is to offer them both for trades for draft picks/future value and keep whichever guy you don't trade. If you don't trade one of them, flip a coinl
                          You're right. Only the change is in the post that you quoted. We are going from W, L, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv, Hld to QS, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, Sv, Hld.

That said, Wheeler and Woodruff are pretty close in standard 5x5. ADP is about a round toward Woodruff but Jason is not the only one who ranks Wheeler higher. So does Nick Pollack.

I have offered them for trades but it is common knowledge that I can only keep one.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                          X