2K23: Brandon Marsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Where is the number 5 coming from? It's very arbitrary. There are ways to calculate it by looking at the data. If you haven't done that, that's fine, but suggesting that I'm wrong about 7 being way too small without supplying any data at all doesn't sound like something a math/stat guy would do. I was truly interested in hearing how you came up with it.

The rule of 30 samples was thrown out a long time ago, the size of sample you need is dependent on population distribution, static numbers like that aren't useful.
    Five is a bit arbitrary but there are reasons. It is better to read it don't settle for four.

This has to do with restricted choice tests, like the t-test, see below. At 10% confidence, the difference between three degrees of freedom (df) and four df is larger than the difference between 5 df and 100 df.
    The t-test table is used to evaluate proportions combined with z-scores. This table is used to find the ratio for t-statistics. Learn the t-test formula as well, here at BYJU’S.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Five is a bit arbitrary but there are reasons. It is better to read it don't settle for four.

This has to do with restricted choice tests, like the t-test, see below. At 10% confidence, the difference between three degrees of freedom (df) and four df is larger than the difference between 5 df and 100 df.
      https://byjus.com/maths/t-test-table/
      I wonder what Brandon Marsh would have to say about all this.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

https://byjus.com/maths/t-test-table/
        OK, now that's the response I expect from someone with a data background - numbers and a reason, thank you - that's what I was looking forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
          I wonder what Brandon Marsh would have to say about all this.
          Castellanos would say "I don’t have a college degree. I hit baseballs"
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Castellanos would say "I don’t have a college degree. I hit baseballs"
            Wouldn't that be hit and miss baseballs?
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
            X