What is the first song...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the first song...

that your parents played that you can remember you liked. And about how old were you?

I had some ideas but the time line does not seem to work out.

The first song that I remember liking was one that i heard on the radio called "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks. I was 7 years old when it was released in 1974. I listened to music before that but I didn't become a serious listener until around this time.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The first song I remember loving was "Sky High" by Jigsaw, probably around 1975.

Comment

Either Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter, Paul and Mary
        or
        Mr. Bojangles by... no fucking clue.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I think mine was Tom Dooley-Kingston Trio

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I think mine was Tom Dooley-Kingston Trio
            Was always a bigger fan of Greenback Dollar.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              Was always a bigger fan of Greenback Dollar.
              Big fan of that as well. But I relate more to the Trini Lopez version as that was in my Mom's record collection.

Comment

Big fan of that as well. But I relate more to the Trini Lopez version as that was in my Mom's record collection.
                Played on something like this.

Comment

Stone in Love by Journey riding to the beach in my mom's Chevy Nova when I was 8. Most vivid musical memory I have.

Comment

Cool Water, by Sons of the Pioneers. They would play the whole record by Sons of the Pioneers, but that's the song from that record that lodged in my brain.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Cool Water, by Sons of the Pioneers. They would play the whole record by Sons of the Pioneers, but that's the song from that record that lodged in my brain.
                      I forgot about this! I remember Cool Water and Tumbling Tumble Weeds (along with Happy Trails). I knew them from Roy Rogers and The Sons of the Pioneers. I have a faint recollection of 45 size yellow records.

I got to see Roy and Dale in 1958 (I was 5) at the Milwaukee County Fair. Heard these 3 songs. Dad held me up to touch Roy as he rode Trigger along the fence gently slapping hands. Missed his by about 4 inches.

Comment

The first songs I remember from childhood are Gowan "Hungry Like The Wolf", Talking Heads "Road to Nowhere", and G'n'R "Paradise City". Also loved Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55".
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I forgot about this! I remember Cool Water and Tumbling Tumble Weeds (along with Happy Trails). I knew them from Roy Rogers and The Sons of the Pioneers. I have a faint recollection of 45 size yellow records.

I got to see Roy and Dale in 1958 (I was 5) at the Milwaukee County Fair. Heard these 3 songs. Dad held me up to touch Roy as he rode Trigger along the fence gently slapping hands. Missed his by about 4 inches.
                          Great story!

And yes, Tumbling Tumbleweeds was another good one from that record.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                          X