Griner exchanged for arms dealer Victor Bout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griner exchanged for arms dealer Victor Bout

Apparently, Bout was the inspiration for the Nic Cage movie Lord of War. He was a big time arms dealer for a long time. He got convicted for arming FARC, but has an extensive history. He has served over a decade of his 25 year sentence, it seems. It isn't a fair swap at all given Griner did nothing wrong and only had less than a gram of weed oil, but Bout doesn't seem uniquely evil. I'm sure his niche was filled as soon as he went to prison, and one would hope he has lost his taste for arms dealing after being imprisoned for it for so long. Still, again, it wasn't an even swap at all, but it probably was the best swap Biden could do given how Russia was using Griner as a trade chip and had all the leverage. What does the pen think of the swap?

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Apparently, Bout was the inspiration for the Nic Cage movie Lord of War. He was a big time arms dealer for a long time. He got convicted for arming FARC, but has an extensive history. He has served over a decade of his 25 year sentence, it seems. It isn't a fair swap at all given Griner did nothing wrong and only had less than a gram of weed oil, but Bout doesn't seem uniquely evil. I'm sure his niche was filled as soon as he went to prison, and one would hope he has lost his taste for arms dealing after being imprisoned for it for so long. Still, again, it wasn't an even swap at all, but it probably was the best swap Biden could do given how Russia was using Griner as a trade chip and had all the leverage. What does the pen think of the swap?

Perfecly fair, as you said. Bout's void in the arms business was likely filled almost as soon as he was arrected, so I see no reason not to exchange him for Griner. She was obviously never more than a bargining chip for a desperate Putin, and he cashed it in for what he could get.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
    X