Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teoscar Hernandez Traded to the Mariners

whoa, big splash already. Return TBA

Going to Toronto are Erik Swanson and A-ball pitcher Adam Macko.

Uhh, seems a little light......

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Going to Toronto are Erik Swanson and A-ball pitcher Adam Macko.

Uhh, seems a little light......
      Um...yeah. Even if Teoscar's a one-year rental, that seems really light.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Thirded, although it does make me look at Macko a little closer. I have him at the back end of my 20 man minor league roster. I had planned on cutting him and still likely will, to make room for this year's picks, but he was on my radar before as a long shot wild card with upside. He has nasty stuff and might surprise if he can gain control and stay healthy. But I still don't get the deal for Toronto. It looks like they are going to try to land Nimmo now, which would soften the loss, but the return here will still be light.

Comment

Adam Macko looks like a lefthanded version of a young Roy Oswalt, though Oswalt never threw as hard as Macko does.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Adam Macko looks like a lefthanded version of a young Roy Oswalt, though Oswalt never threw as hard as Macko does.
            And Oswalt never walked... 1/3 of the guys Macko does

Comment

yeah as a Jay fan this is still tough to figure, though Swanson sure will help our 8th inning challenges. and if he can gain some control Macko has heaps of upside.

But Teo was a fan fav, & had some huge late game swats for us. He'll be missed.

With this trade and Tapia being cut the Jays have saved around $19M; hopefully it gets put to good use.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I heard it referred to as a "spreadsheet trade", and I agree with that take.

3 years of an elite reliever at a total cost of around $5 mil is a huge addition for the budget, avoiding paying $25-$40 mil over 3 years for a FA reliever. Teoscar has one year left at $14 mil, so if they pay a different OF to replace him, they might figure Swanson is better than whatever FA RP they'd get, and push the savings from RP to the OF replacement, and you could land a Nimmo for $20ish mil... it works on paper.

We have a fantasy lens that gives us a bias against non-closing RP, but the real life value makes sense.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  3 years of an elite reliever at a total cost of around $5 mil is a huge addition for the budget
                  How do they know to budget $5mm for Swanson? He's entering his arb years right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    How do they know to budget $5mm for Swanson? He's entering his arb years right?
                    You're correct. $5 MM is a little low, IMO, but I get where Teenwolf's coming from. I used Rafael Montero as a comp; Montero took three midpoint or close to midpoint contracts to avoid arbitration and made about $6 MM total. Add salary increases/inflation and that Swanson's numbers going into his first arb year are much better than Montero's were, and he'll probably get $7-10 MM across three years if Toronto goes year to year with him. Even at $10 MM/3 years, that's a significant savings over a quality MR in the FA market.

Comment

Working...
                    X