2k23 Offseason Transactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Many. All most all of the top FAs except Rodon and Verlander.

As far as the SS goes sort of like tiers in fantasy baseball. But all 4 were supposedly strongly in play. They are going to be that team that can't pull the trigger leaves money on the table and has a bad team.
    When you are referring to "targets" whats the source of this information? It looks like a fan wishlist more than an actual team's plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      When you are referring to "targets" whats the source of this information? It looks like a fan wishlist more than an actual team's plan.
      Mostly from ownership and top brass. I thought it strange when several reporting agencies reported that Abreu was the Cubs top priority. That ownership and brass wanted to jump on it fast. Next up they were very vocal about signing one of the 4 expensive SS. Also saying they would spend money on a center fielder and pitching.

I get your comment about fan wish list and there is plenty of that everyday. Judge would be an example of that. There were plenty of things written about that. But nothing from the front office. I had 0 hope about Judge and read very little on it. I have read several "wishlist" articles on Rodon as he is on my wish list. If by some chance they would sign him it would be a total shock as there is nothing from the front office showing any desire to spend money on him. When Rodon signs I will post it but would not call that losing a target because he is not.

Comment

Maybe the fact that the Cubs aren't signing any of these guys indicates they really aren't targets...or not targets that are important for the Cubs to sign at this point.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Mostly from ownership and top brass. I thought it strange when several reporting agencies reported that Abreu was the Cubs top priority. That ownership and brass wanted to jump on it fast. Next up they were very vocal about signing one of the 4 expensive SS. Also saying they would spend money on a center fielder and pitching.
          Sorry for my misunderstanding here. I dont know what you mean when you say you are getting information from ownership and top brass. Are those guys leaking information to local reporters who are writing stories on it?

Again seems more like wishful speculation from a fan blog than an actual target of the organization.

Comment

Sorry for my misunderstanding here. I dont know what you mean when you say you are getting information from ownership and top brass. Are those guys leaking information to local reporters who are writing stories on it?

Again seems more like wishful speculation from a fan blog than an actual target of the organization.
            Yes they seem to be leaking information to reporters. Then they make statements/headlines like these Tom Ricketts said ‘spend.’ Crane Kenney said the Cubs aren’t done spending. Time to spend, Jed Hoyer

There is plenty of the blog speculation to be sure. I don't pay much attention to those.

Comment

Yes they seem to be leaking information to reporters. Then they make statements/headlines like these Tom Ricketts said ‘spend.’ Crane Kenney said the Cubs aren’t done spending. Time to spend, Jed Hoyer

There is plenty of the blog speculation to be sure. I don't pay much attention to those.
              I speak Front Office. I can help. When they say "Spend" they are referring to the fans not themselves.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Carlos Correa to the Giants 13 years $350 Million.

Comment

He more than doubled the $160M the Astros were offering him before his walk year. Wow

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    Maybe the fact that the Cubs aren't signing any of these guys indicates they really aren't targets...or not targets that are important for the Cubs to sign at this point.
                    Well they won't have to worry about the top FA's helping them in a rebuild as they are all locked up to long term contracts.

Ownership and top Management announced they had lots of money to spend and planned on being very aggressive in free agency. Once again writers and fans are very very angry on how this off season has played out. Even if they get Dansby it will feel like they didn't do what was promised. And they better get Dansby.

Cubs management WHAT PART OF YOU DIDN'T SELL OUT YOUR HOME OPENER DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!! THERE IS NO REASON TO GO TO THE BALLPARK TO WATCH THE PATHETIC PRODUCT YOU PUT OUT. NOT ONE BONAFIED STAR TO ROOT FOR.

Comment

Cubs management WHAT PART OF YOU DIDN'T SELL OUT YOUR HOME OPENER DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!! THERE IS NO REASON TO GO TO THE BALLPARK TO WATCH THE PATHETIC PRODUCT YOU PUT OUT. NOT ONE BONAFIED STAR TO ROOT FOR.
                      Sorry but from the outside looking in this feels very pouty/whiny/entitled. Many teams don't have a "bonafied star". Some fans enjoy watching the youth develop. Most fans didn't have a world series winning team in the last 10 years.

Comment

Sorry but from the outside looking in this feels very pouty/whiny/entitled. Many teams don't have a "bonafied star". Some fans enjoy watching the youth develop. Most fans didn't have a world series winning team in the last 10 years.
                        Thank you for the response.

I was going for Angry, disappointed, and entitled.

Entitled from the prospective of we are a big market team with rich owners (which I have no problem with wealthy people) who need to keep the Golden Goose fed. If fans expecting Chicago owners to invest in the product is entitled I am certainly guilty. If whiny is being transparent and writing my thoughts and feelings on a baseball site then guilty as charged. But please do not confuse my intense anger with pouty. That is not the case nor my intention.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Team chairman Tom Ricketts vowed to provide the resources necessary for the Cubs front office to spend this winter in a letter to fans Tuesday.T

"We will be active in free agency and have the necessary resources available to substantially supplement our current roster," Ricketts wrote. "As Jed [Hoyer] has demonstrated, we will be driven by intelligent decision-making as we build a roster that can win games in the postseason – year in and year out."

That echoes what Ricketts said a year ago in an end-of-season letter to fans, in which he said the Cubs "have the resources necessary to compete in 2022 and beyond, and we will use them."

Comment

Entitled from the prospective of we are a big market team with rich owners (which I have no problem with wealthy people) who need to keep the Golden Goose fed.
                            Why? Throwing away money that doesn't actually help your team win long term is a terrible plan and as an educated fan, as I know you are, it's really weird to see you wanting that.

If fans expecting Chicago owners to invest in the product is entitled I am certainly guilty. If whiny is being transparent and writing my thoughts and feelings on a baseball site then guilty as charged. But please do not confuse my intense anger with pouty. That is not the case nor my intention.
                            When a team is rebuilding, the product on the field is not good. And you wouldn't expect it to be. The Astros were absolutely terrible for a long time. If they weren't they wouldn't be winning World Series rings now. The Rays were ridiculously bad for a very long time, which allowed them to build a good team.

You are angry because the Cubs are rebuilding correctly. It's very strange.

And again, coming from a fan of a team who has been terrible for a long time, seeing someone else complain about the Cubs, who won in 2016, is very off-putting. It comes off as a lack of perspective IMO.

Comment

Outside of maybe 7-8 players, this year's free agents all seem like they are overhyped (and probably overpaid). Feels like teams are caught in the middle rounds of a fantasy draft and are reaching.

Comment

Why? Throwing away money that doesn't actually help your team win long term is a terrible plan and as an educated fan, as I know you are, it's really weird to see you wanting that.

When a team is rebuilding, the product on the field is not good. And you wouldn't expect it to be. The Astros were absolutely terrible for a long time. If they weren't they wouldn't be winning World Series rings now. The Rays were ridiculously bad for a very long time, which allowed them to build a good team.

You are angry because the Cubs are rebuilding correctly. It's very strange.

And again, coming from a fan of a team who has been terrible for a long time, seeing someone else complain about the Cubs, who won in 2016, is very off-putting. It comes off as a lack of perspective IMO.
                                I am angry because the Cubs are not rebuilding correctly.

How close is your team to being competitive. You mention terrible for a long time. What is a long time and do you see any markers where they are on pace to be good?

I would add that Theo built the team the right way. We could see the plan for the painful first two years, then we started getting fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X