Big Trade Offer--Should I Make It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Trade Offer--Should I Make It?

The Juan Soto owner was vocally bitter about Juan Soto's performance in our playoffs. He is also notorious for trading top potential guys in their extension year if they did not perform up to their potential, and he has Wander Franco as well, who also did him no favors in our playoffs. Soto has a year left at $20 (he did not max Soto, which shocked me at the time) and Franco is due extension. I have Kyle Tucker maxed out with four years left on a $25 deal and Brandon Lowe for two more years at $15.

I'm pretty confident I could get Soto and Franco for my pair, given his current feelings (despite Lowe's performance, he favors power hitting MIFers). The extra three years of Tucker over Soto are big, and if I only extend Franco to three years, he and Lowe are the same price and I get Franco for just one extra year over Lowe, and I'm not sure one extra year of Franco over Lowe is worth the three extra years of Tucker over Soto. But the math changes if Franco is worth going 4 years for $20. What do you all say? Is this an offer I should make regardless of how long I extend Franco, or is it dependent on how long I extend Franco? Would you do the deal, and if so, what extension would you give Franco? The league is a deep 14 teamer--30 man rosters, 4 IL spots, 10 man minors.

If he balks at Lowe, I have a $1 Profar and he loves Profar, so I think I could get that deal done instead. Should I start there? Profar is only OF elg, but he has a spot open there too.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    The Juan Soto owner was vocally bitter about Juan Soto's performance in our playoffs. He is also notorious for trading top potential guys in their extension year if they did not perform up to their potential, and he has Wander Franco as well, who also did him no favors in our playoffs. Soto has a year left at $20 (he did not max Soto, which shocked me at the time) and Franco is due extension. I have Kyle Tucker maxed out with four years left on a $25 deal and Brandon Lowe for two more years at $15.

I'm pretty confident I could get Soto and Franco for my pair, given his current feelings (despite Lowe's performance, he favors power hitting MIFers). The extra three years of Tucker over Soto are big, and if I only extend Franco to three years, he and Lowe are the same price and I get Franco for just one extra year over Lowe, and I'm not sure one extra year of Franco over Lowe is worth the three extra years of Tucker over Soto. But the math changes if Franco is worth going 4 years for $20. What do you all say? Is this an offer I should make regardless of how long I extend Franco, or is it dependent on how long I extend Franco? Would you do the deal, and if so, what extension would you give Franco? The league is a deep 14 teamer--30 man rosters, 4 IL spots, 10 man minors.

If he balks at Lowe, I have a $1 Profar and he loves Profar, so I think I could get that deal done instead. Should I start there? Profar is only OF elg, but he has a spot open there too.
    chasing one year of Juan Soto and however many years of Wander Franco when you have Tucker for 4 more years seems like a bad idea. Tucker is way more valuable than either of those guys given the contracts for most leagues.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      chasing one year of Juan Soto and however many years of Wander Franco when you have Tucker for 4 more years seems like a bad idea. Tucker is way more valuable than either of those guys given the contracts for most leagues.
      Yeah, that was my thought, but looking around, I was surprised at how high folks still are on Franco. He is still making top 20 dynasty lists. I'm not sure I have that kind of faith, but I wanted to feel folks out. But you are right....I get itchy to trade for a repeat when I win one. Looking to make moves to give me a better shot at it. Soto seems like a great buy low opportunity. Dude is still a kid and can still be the best hitter in baseball. I tried to get him for Teoscar Hernadez (also one year left) and Lowe, but no dice.

Comment

I wouldn't make the offer, just because of the value of Kyle Tucker. He's had two consecutive years of 30 HR, 25 SBs this year, and given his speed and good K rate, I'd consider that BABIP this year to be unusually low. And you have him locked in for four years during the likely prime of his career. I'd just lock him into my roster and smile.

That said, I'd be more interested in poking around on how disillusioned your potential trade partner is in Wander Franco. Sure, this year wasn't as good as any expected. But his contact rate is exceptional, K rate very low, and he's still only 21 with the hype train killed on him. I've hear people say he doesn't have the speed to steal 20; I'll just say he's faster than Julio Rodriguez, who just stole 25 this year. I wouldn't make an insane offer for him, but if you can get him for players you're willing to deal, I'd take the chance. Maybe only go three years/$15 on him. That way, if he just stays healthy but makes only modest improvements, you still get value at a good BA and 15/15 capability. But if he makes a jump in power or speed, you have a great value.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Yeah, that was my thought, but looking around, I was surprised at how high folks still are on Franco. He is still making top 20 dynasty lists. I'm not sure I have that kind of faith, but I wanted to feel folks out. But you are right....I get itchy to trade for a repeat when I win one. Looking to make moves to give me a better shot at it. Soto seems like a great buy low opportunity. Dude is still a kid and can still be the best hitter in baseball. I tried to get him for Teoscar Hernadez (also one year left) and Lowe, but no dice.
          Yeah, if you can buy low on Soto it's worth it. Franco, could be really good as well, but I doubt he will ever match Tucker's value in fantasy baseball.
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
          X