Who have you personally canceled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who have you personally canceled?

With the latest evolution of Kanye West into Uncle Ruckus, I can't listen to or enjoy his music anymore.

There's a ton of other entertainers in the same boat for me. People who's personal lives or opinions are too vile for me to engage with their art.

Louis CK - I would have been willing to forgive him if he showed any legitimate growth or apology, but he hasn't. His material has turned to crap as well (that unreleased movie of his was unbelievably awful).

Bill Cosby - Impossible to enjoy his content at this point.

Bill Maher - Centrist boomer, Islamophobic, likes to drop the n-word. Basic edgelord.

I'll add any that I remember later.

Who's on your list?

If you're above it, perfectly able to enjoy art made by awful people, good for you. I just can't disconnect the art from the artist.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Interesting question.

Bill Cosby. I have no desire to watch or listen to any of the really funny old stuff that I grew up with. Want to listen to Why is there Air? NOPE!

Kevin Spacey- Such a good actor, great impersonator (maybe the best Christopher Walken). So many good movies with other actors. I haven't watched any that "stars" him, not sure what I will do with movies where he has the 2nd lead or supporting role. Just haven't had the desire to watch any yet. His actions robbed his victims of so much. Collateral damage of fans pale in comparison, but still robbed us his talent/performances. Want to watch Usual Suspects? Nope not in the mood.

Comment

Agree that it's an interesting question/concept. I don't consciously cancel anyone; as evidence, I'll present that I've drafted at least one Melissa Etheridge song (and I think an album, too) in our song/music drafts, and have a lot of her older CDs. And I can hardly think of anyone that's more diametrically opposed to my belief sets than her.

I don't watch much in the way of TV/movies other than sports and local news, so I'm far from an expert there. I've always tried to get a broad spectrum of views in news/opinion, but I'm sure there's an unconscious bias at play among my choices for left-wing points of view. I really liked Rachel Maddow, even though I disagreed with her most of the time. But she's very, very good at what she does. I didn't watch Chris Cuomo, not because I cancelled him for some of his questionable actions, but when it came to watching him or Maddow, it was pretty evident he sucked by comparison.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Agree that it's an interesting question/concept. I don't consciously cancel anyone; as evidence, I'll present that I've drafted at least one Melissa Etheridge song (and I think an album, too) in our song/music drafts, and have a lot of her older CDs. And I can hardly think of anyone that's more diametrically opposed to my belief sets than her.

I don't watch much in the way of TV/movies other than sports and local news, so I'm far from an expert there. I've always tried to get a broad spectrum of views in news/opinion, but I'm sure there's an unconscious bias at play among my choices for left-wing points of view. I really liked Rachel Maddow, even though I disagreed with her most of the time. But she's very, very good at what she does. I didn't watch Chris Cuomo, not because I cancelled him for some of his questionable actions, but when it came to watching him or Maddow, it was pretty evident he sucked by comparison.
        I think disagreeing with someone politically is a bit different than not wanting to be exposed to their work based on more unacceptable or horrific actions they have committed, although the Bill Maher example is maybe a gray area. Maybe Roger Waters as well, lol. I do agree that getting a lot of different perspectives is a good practice.
        Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 10-19-2022, 02:15 PM.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

For me, it is more a guy reaction than conscious decision. For media where I see the person, I have tended to be turned off viewing anything by the most objectionable examples, many already listed. Music is trickier for me, as it is easier for me to forget the person behind the art. I don't know if some might consider this a cheat, but I am a cover fan, and some songs that I love, I just look for covers. It is amazing how many artists have covered the Ignition remix, for instance. Is that supporting the original artist? I don't know but Elle King has a hell of a cover of that song, for instance (I still can't believe she is Rob Schneider's kid).

It is hard to draw clear lines on this, as so many in entertainment has done horrible things, going back a long, long ways. But yeah, I couldn't imagine seeing Cosby on screen and being able to look past his crimes. Same with Spacey, which is a shame, as I enjoyed his works in the past. But I don't judge anyone who can. The damage is done. I don't think he gets residuals on someone watching the Usual Suspects when it happens to be on tv, if they ever show it again.

Comment

One of the concerns I have with the idea of cancelling, is I wonder who doesn't have skeletons in their past.

From one perspective, I do follow the idea, when there's someone who has done something despicable, unforgivable, we should not support them. So there are certainly individuals at the extreme ends that belong on these type lists.

That said, I'm no saint and have made more than my share of mistakes in all areas of life and would probably cancel myself if we're cancelling. So I have a hard time judging/cancelling other people.

Comment

I don’t think I have consciously canceled any entertainer. I generally try to separate the art from the scumbag (or good person) making it, largely because the art is my means of escaping thinking about all of that stuff. Also, I don’t want to conduct intensive research on every entertainer before deciding if I can listen or watch that piece of art. Using that Usual Suspects example, I still love that movie and get sucked in every time, even with the knowledge that Kevin Spacey is a vile human being. John Lennon apparently beat his wife but I still listen to the Beatles. But, I don’t judge people who can’t make that separation.

Comment

Anything involving these buffoons (which I guess isn't much these days):
                - Donald Trump
                - Scott Baio
                - Dennis Quaid
                - Randy Quaid
                - Donald Trump
                - James Woods
                - The Raspberries
                - Donald Trump
                - Kanye West
                - Kirstie Alley
                - Donald Trump
                - the guy who played Hercules
                - Ted Nugent
                - Herschel Walker
                - Donald Trump
                - Jack Nicklaus
                - Jon Voight
                - the guy who played Superman in the 90s
                - Donald Trump
                - Kid Rock
                - Mary Hart
                - the Pawn Stars crew
                - Donald Trump
                - Conor McGregor and a bunch of other UFC fighters
                - Dana White
                - Johnny Damon
                - Mike Ditka
                - Stephen Baldwin
                - Donald Trump

Comment

I watch a lot of Pawn Stars. In fact, if anyone looked at my DVR, it would be hard to guess my politics. It is filled with history channel stuff--Forged in Fire (I'd prefer if they didn't test on animal carcasses, but I still watch), Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Counting Cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I watch a lot of Pawn Stars. In fact, if anyone looked at my DVR, it would be hard to guess my politics. It is filled with history channel stuff--Forged in Fire (I'd prefer if they didn't test on animal carcasses, but I still watch), Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Counting Cars.
                    Me too I also enjoy shows about fixing houses and restoring cars.

Comment

Why is Pawn Stars cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Why is Pawn Stars cancelled?
                        Rick Harrison is a big Trump supporter who I also believe has spoken at his rallies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          One of the concerns I have with the idea of cancelling, is I wonder who doesn't have skeletons in their past.

From one perspective, I do follow the idea, when there's someone who has done something despicable, unforgivable, we should not support them. So there are certainly individuals at the extreme ends that belong on these type lists.

That said, I'm no saint and have made more than my share of mistakes in all areas of life and would probably cancel myself if we're cancelling. So I have a hard time judging/cancelling other people.
                          I understand this sentiment. I would say mine is not so much judgement as just losing the taste for whatever dish they are serving.

I am more effected by entertainers and sports celebs than politicians. Mostly because I get to choose my entertainment and I do not want to spend time and money on the unrepentant, lying, excuse making fallen.

Comment

I can still enjoy the music, tv shows, and movies of celebrities that i dislike. Although my enjoyment is diminished a little bit while I'm shaking my head and asking myself how this person can have both talent that I admire and personal behavior that I detest. But i wouldn't want to attend their concerts or any type of personal appearance events.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Apparently, a lot of Led Zeppelin fans are able to get past Jimmy Page dating a 13-year old girl back in the 1970's.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X