Best mix of 6X6 stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Better for what? Again I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

I get removing CG since no one gets them now, that was a good example, but it seems like you are tricking it up. The standard stats are best because it's a common ground everyone uses and can discuss.
    Wins and losses are too dependent on factors outside the pitcher's control. Even ERA, which is a much more descriptive stat, is heavily influenced by the defense behind the pitcher. Wins involve not just the runs prevented but also the runs scored in support. If I was to eliminate one of the standard 4x4 or 5x5 pitching categories, wins is the clear choice.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Wins and losses are too dependent on factors outside the pitcher's control. Even ERA, which is a much more descriptive stat, is heavily influenced by the defense behind the pitcher. Wins involve not just the runs prevented but also the runs scored in support. If I was to eliminate one of the standard 4x4 or 5x5 pitching categories, wins is the clear choice.
      It sounds like what you really want is a 1 X 1 league with hitter and pitcher WAR. Or maybe just make it a 1 category WAR league.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

ERA is dependent on the defense. Yup, so get pitchers with good defenses behind them.

If your goal is to specifically implement a system that correctly values every player for only their own contribution on the field you are going to fail miserably regardless of what categories you use.

If your goal is instead to have a good fantasy league with strategy and good discussions and tradition, then the traditional roto stats work great.

In my opinion the more you trick it up, the worse it becomes. But that’s just my view, I know others like other stats and that’s fine!

Comment

ERA is dependent on the defense. Yup, so get pitchers with good defenses behind them.

If your goal is to specifically implement a system that correctly values every player for only their own contribution on the field you are going to fail miserably regardless of what categories you use.

If your goal is instead to have a good fantasy league with strategy and good discussions and tradition, then the traditional roto stats work great.

In my opinion the more you trick it up, the worse it becomes. But that’s just my view, I know others like other stats and that’s fine!
          Agreed.

Comment

Why even have catagories ? Just make it one category that best represents player value/performance
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

From the side talk, it looks like the approach will be minimalist. The annual meeting is after the holidays.

Everyone concedes that CG is outdated. The "new" stats with traction are QS, probably to replace W, K/9, and Net SB. Also, there is a push for an equal number of ratio stats for both hitting and pitching.

We use and will keep H as a category. I like the way it works though I see the value of H+BB as well. What is your opinion?
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
              X