No announcement yet.

Down the Stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to all the winners - I was in rebuild mode for two of my teams (picked up a discarded team in a mixed, and my AL-only). My one team that I thought would be going for a win got crushed by a juggernaut - Ohtani, Judge, Ad. Garcia, Cron, Manoah, T. McKenzie, and N. Cortes.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

This has been one of my best years ever in fantasy baseball. It is interesting that this year I was like "screw it, I am not spreading the risk" on players and didnt hesitate to take the guys I *really liked* even if it meant I had that same guy on 5 different teams. Obviously it helps to be correct (and avoid major injury) on these players, but truly this is probably the first time I took this strategy during draft season.

Here's the result:
      NFBC Draft Champions (4 leagues): My best showing probably.
      • I am going to win the rotojunkie/zola subscribe league pretty much wire to wire, as long as I hold off a furious rally from Bene Futuis. (thanks Lord Zola for doing that);
      • I have a team I shared with Ken and we have led pretty much wire to wire and were even in contention for "overall" bonus money in the top 45.
      • I have a third team that is coming down to the wire on the podium. Top three (me included) separated by 1-5 points and the lead changes basically every day.
      • Fourth team is going to bubble in 4th place unless something crazy happens.

NFBC RW Online Championship (2 leagues): Looks like Im going to bubble in 3rd place in BOTH. Ugggggghhh. Although one team jumped up 6(!) points in the standings yesterday (still 4 behind) so there's a tiny sliver of hope.

RJ-affiliated league (15-tm mixed): OK this one pisses me off! Ken and I were first place a month or so ago and the entire bottom fell out of this team. We got hurt a bit by injury (Jazz, Baz, Lowe, Benintendi) but really Ive never really had a team that was doing so well and just completely tanked. This team is going to bubble in 5th place. Blech.

Home leagues (3 leagues): So yeah I tend to dominate my home leagues
      • 12 team mixed roto I was in first for most of the year but it looks like I will finish in second.
      • NL only league will win leading from wire to wire.
      • H2H mixed league: In the world series right now and that score is literally tied with 3 days to go.

Bottom line? Go with your gut! Put all your eggs in the same baskets Although bubbling in 4 leagues is painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        Congrats OJH!
        Thanks.

One of the fun facts is that I picked up Whit Merrifield just for the series. The guy I am facing picked up nine last-minute players and Whit was one of his cuts. WM has hit .600, 6 R, 5 RBI, and 1 HR but he's not making the difference in any category, since I am losing three and am up 6 in HR.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
          In one league, I have a chance to be the 1st to win back-to-back titles in my 19 years in the league. I'm in 2nd, entering the day 4 pts behind. There are enough categories I could pick up enough pts in so that it's realistic that I could pass him. But not likely. Today is not helping, as I'm 2-32 on the day.
          I actually almost won this league again. I was 10.5 pts behind entering yesterday and I made up 10 pts in 2 days but fell a half point short today. If I had activated Stratton instead of Cody Morris this week (which I considered doing), I would have had 1 more win and 1 more point and would have won by a half point. 162-game season and the title was determined by playing or sitting Chris Stratton the final half-week! That turned out to be an $1100 decision (the difference between 1st and 2nd place).
          Last edited by rhd; 10-06-2022, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            So as we roll into the final 5-6 games of the season is anyone in contention? In a tight race?

I'm in contention in 3 of 5 of my leagues.

My Kiss your sister Revo league has me battling it out for 2nd/ I'm currently in 3rd 1.5 points behind but have been tied with him (go figure) at times this week.

In Let's play 2 Dynasty league (where I traded and acquired so many this season) I currently sit 5th, but have been as high as 3rd. I'm 3.5 back but just 2 days ago we were all tied. Rick and Glenn are up on me, I'm hoping my team has one more late run in it.

In Zola's JBL league I'm somehow miraculously in 1st. 5 points up as of this posting but the team behind me is pretty strong so I might get caught. here's hoping I survive!

My other 2 leagues are in rebuild and I should be able to do much better next year than the last (of 18) and second to last or last (of 20) I found myself in this season.

Oh and My Padres are fighting for the #5/6 WC so hopefully I can root for my guys in the postseason!

Good luck to all!
            So this season good and bad, went about as well as possible for team Gwynn

I ended up winning Zola’s. JBL League by 6 points even after making multiple mistakes. Judge and Ohtani helped quite a bit and I survived dumping saves so I’m already looking forward to next season

Thanks Todd!

In Revos Waiver Wire league I ended up with a 5.5 point gain in the final week to sneak in and steal 2nd a solid result after last year’s tie with Ed

In Let’s Play 2 RJ dynasty I survived a bad last two months and finished 4th which is a big win after the seemingly endless trades i authored this season

In RJEL I planned to rebuild and hopefully I’m off to a decent start i have the 1st and 3rd picks in the draft and missed having the first three by a point now to the task of deciding who I want and will absolutely be asking for advice

In lockdown dynasty I ended up last which is not where I thought I’d finish. I obviously have a lot of work to do but the 1st pick might help me towards that end. Again I’ll be asking advice about how to spend that pick

Congratulations to everyone else and thanks for the advice throughout the year
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

ended up winning a Draft and Hold league where I hung around 2nd or 3rd most of the year and then leapt into first in the final 3 weeks of the season.

Comment

Working...
              X