2K23: Dustin May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    I’d put a significant amount of money on the other side of that bet. He isn’t going too 100.

May has never pitched 60ip in a season and frankly his numbers are pedestrian. His innings will be limited next year if he can even stay healthy. That would be a really bad pick in the top 100.
    May pitched over 100 IP twice in the minors. He's only 25 and it's the Dodgers. What do you want?

Another ERA explosion. To use Nick Pollack's expression, he's a cherry bomb.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      May pitched over 100 IP twice in the minors. He's only 25 and it's the Dodgers. What do you want?

Another ERA explosion. To use Nick Pollack's expression, he's a cherry bomb.
      You get fantasy points for innings in the minors? If not I'm not sure why that's relevant.

What do I want? Well in the top 100 spots I'd want a lot better pitcher and one who is actually going to give my team innings. This year McClanahan went around 100. His 2021 was quite a bit better than May's 2022 is going to be.

Comment

You get fantasy points for innings in the minors? If not I'm not sure why that's relevant.

What do I want? Well in the top 100 spots I'd want a lot better pitcher and one who is actually going to give my team innings. This year McClanahan went around 100. His 2021 was quite a bit better than May's 2022 is going to be.
        And Lance Lynn and Trevor Rogers went in the 90s and sucked. So if I get Dustin May at 100, I'm getting a comparative value!
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

In any event, May is shut down for the season. I would say mixed results but a small positive lean.

It will be interesting to see who the Dodgers plan to trot out in 2023. Grove is the only RHP in the rotation with all of 4 starts.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            And Lance Lynn and Trevor Rogers went in the 90s and sucked. So if I get Dustin May at 100, I'm getting a comparative value!
            You whiffed on the point here if you think Lynn and Rogers are relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              In any event, May is shut down for the season. I would say mixed results but a small positive lean.

It will be interesting to see who the Dodgers plan to trot out in 2023. Grove is the only RHP in the rotation with all of 4 starts.
              Sorry how does getting hurt yet AGAIN provide a positive lean for a guy whose biggest struggle is staying on the mound? If hurt players is your thing you can always draft Strasburg I guess...

This year May managed to a) get hurt again b) reduce his strikeout rate slightly c) increase his walk rate significantly

What is positive about this season for him?

Comment

It would seem that onej thinks that May is the next McClanahan...he is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Yet. But I agree with onej on this one - May could be every bit as good as McClanahan. And soon.

Comment

Yet. But I agree with onej on this one - May could be every bit as good as McClanahan. And soon.
                    So now you are both wrong? ��

Comment

Yeah this is outlandish right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        Well he could....but it doesn't seem likely. It's not likely that many pitchers will be as good as McLanahan
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          I was thinking Walker Buehler since it's the Dodgers, but OK. If you mean the 2021 version of McLanahan that kinda works as May's upside for next season. May has better heat but not the killer offspeed pitch. Shane is certainly more comparable stylistically than Walker.

The question is makeup and maturity. This isn't a 21-year-old phenom anymore and the Dodger rotation has desperate need of a RHP, but they don't need an ace. May has missed a lot of live action with the rehabs so his maturity might be a little behind the calendar. In any event, May flashed all the good and all the bad in his six starts so there is room for debate.

Let's see how the Dodgers treat the rotation in the trade and FA wars. If they are even slightly quiet compared to the last couple of years, they may think they have something. We have a consensus that #100 is a reach based on what we know now. The question is where does the scale tip because it's certainly before #200?

My interest is that I own an option valued in the mid-120s that I will have to release or execute well before the draft.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Has anyone heard of any possibility that he could be a late inning option next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              Why? His stuff is every bit as good as McClanahan's, he plays in a favorable pitchers park, great lineup behind him. McClanahan went from a mid-3s ERA/mid-4s xERA to mid-2's with an incremental step in control/BB rate and improved command of his splitter. May needs to take another step forward in control/BB rate and improve command of his cutter, both things I think are reasonable outcomes.

Certain? No way. Achievable? Sure.

Comment

Certain? No way. Achievable? Sure.
                                That's too black and white. What we're looking at is "likely?" And the answer IMO is no.

You could say "Certain? No way. Achievable? Sure" about ~half of mlb pitchers to any particular outcome. See Kyle Wright.

That's not useful. What's useful is what is likely. And May performing to McClanahan's levels is not at all a likely outcome for a myriad of reasons. His stuff is currently *not* as good as McClanahan's stuff, and he can't stay on the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X